“Authentic Caribbean cooking and hospitality”
Review of Pepper Shack

Pepper Shack
Ranked #3 of 110 Restaurants in Brixham
Cuisines: Barbecue, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Brixham's harbour-side restaurant offers Trinidadian Verna's native Caribbean cuisine alongside great local ribs & home-made steak burgers, local seafood and fun desserts. Carnival favourites Goat Curry, Saltfish & Ackee and Jerk Chicken take pride of place among a number of home-grown recipes - Trinidad Chicken & King Prawn Curry, Pineapple Pork, Legendary Lamb Shank and local Scallop & Ling Curry. Jerk Pork Skewers, Seafood Tart and San Fernando Spicy Prawns appear amongst the starters along with Patties, Gurnard Goujons, Home-made Samosas and Scallops & Hogs. We use local fish in a number of seafood dishes including Fish Bites and a number of curries. Vegetarians are offered Pumpkin Patties and Goat Cheese Samosas among the starters, followed by Sweet Potato & Black Bean Curry, Chilli sin Carne and even Jamaican Jerk Tofu among the Vegan options. A good part of the menu is Gluten-free as indicated in the online menu. Home-made Banana Cake, Sticky Toffee Pudding, Banoffee Pie, Morgan-spiced Rum Panacotta are complemented by Ice Cream, Sorbets, Pineapple Sundae and our own Rum Baba. For children, there are home-made Chicken Nuggets, Spaghetti Bolognese and more Ice Cream. Pepper Shack is fully licensed until midnight with Red Stripe, Sol, Peroni, local Dartmoor ales, Healey's Cornish Ciders, wines from around the world and a wide range of rums among the spirits. We also offer an extensive Cocktail Menu and even Ice Cream Liqueur Cocktails
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Superbly tasty, authentic flavours, and plenty of it.

My husband and I are both keen on Caribbean food and spotted Verna's on a visit to Brixham for the farmers' market on Sunday, making a mental note that we needed to try the place out before the end of our holiday.

I had the San Fernando Spicy Prawn starter with cumin-spiced roti, and my husband the Monkfish goujons - which were huge! We both then had the Moruga Braised Beef and that too was really marvellous.

Our son, on the other hand, is a little more conservative in his culinary preferences, but was happy to come with us since there was the option of steak & chips on the menu! However, as it turned out the steak chef wasn't on duty, so he had to choose something else.

It was with a little hesitation that he selected the lamb shank as an alternative, but he was very happy with this choice on trying it, and said straight away that he would be very happy to dine at Verna's again.

To be honest, the mains were more than enough to fill what had been hungry tummies following an afternoon at the pitch n putt, but there were a couple of things on the dessert menu that were just that bit too tempting - Morgans Spiced Rum Panacotta with pineapple ice-cream for me, and Verna's Chocolate Gateau with vanilla ice-cream for my husband.

I don't recall having pineapple ice-cream before, but I would love to have this one again. Home-made, full of sweet but tangy pineapple fruit flavour, and a great compliment to the rum-laced panacotta. The chocolate gateau was surprisingly light and accompanied by a well-made vanilla ice-cream.

The whole meal was bursting with authentic flavours, and everything was so very obviously 'home cooked' and fresh. We are looking forward to visiting again for another great meal cooked by Verna.

1  Thank Scribblette
There are newer reviews for Pepper Shack

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The menu and information on the window of Verna's Pepper Shack on Brixham's harbour front got my wife and I's attention. In particular, the mention of a 'family session' between 17:00 - 18:30, an ideal opportunity for us to take our 18 month old daughter out for some early supper.
However on arrival at 17:30, the chap there informed us they were not open until 18:00, and the chef would not arrive until then in any case.
Disappointing.

1  Thank RFJKK
ShackTalk, General Manager at Pepper Shack, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Ooops!!

Yes, you are quite right. it was me that you met and I have to take the blame for this. If it helps at all, the Family Session will be running from now until the end of the end of the Summer (calendar-wise rather than weather-wise) ... opening at 5pm for orders until 6.30pm.

I simply forgot to co-ordinate our opening times with the season.

Sorry!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Nice to try food that is not the normal fayre, most of the food is spicy and curry like is the best way I can describe it service was excellent and the atmosphere good would be a good choice with a large group.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

All I can say is "WOW" really!
The food was delicious. If you want to have a taste of Trinidad and Tobago you really have found it in this little corner of Devon.
The waitress - Molly, I think her name is, was very friendly and helpful, and Verna is such a lovely lady, and an amazing cook!
We will definitely be back to see you again...

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We ate here tonight and i was very disappointed although my partners food was good. I had the trio of fish, the first bit i thought was a bit iffy, the second was massively over cooked and the third was not cooked. I sent it back and chef cooked me gougons of monk fish instead, but frankly by then i had gone off the idea of fish, although it was ok. Then we came to the bill, the machine seems to have a problem in that it doesnt give you a receipt if the transaction is void, due to the signal apparently. When we were asked to enter the pin number for the second time we questioned why and why there wasnt a void receipt, only to be told "im only the waitress dont have a go at me" not really the attitude you want, also we were charged full price for the food we sent back, so not that happy with the whole attitude bit. Shame really as it does seem to be a nice place.

2  Thank Lucky97
ShackTalk, General Manager at Pepper Shack, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Poor Molly was in tears in the kitchen!

If there's one thing upsets people more than anything else, it seems to be a dodgy credit card machine. Sadly, ours has been playing up this week. Using the mobile phone network might seem a smart idea but it really can be a pig when the signal goes AWOL. I've spent an hour today talking through the issue with the technical support people (very helpful, very patient) but it's a glitch that will always be around for as long as mobile networks continue to wobble. We just have to accept that sometimes it will happen and some of those times it will upset people. We could try using broadband but I doubt it would be much more reliable.

Now onto the question of the void receipt ... it doesn't get any more interesting, folks. I think we're all familiar with the "card declined" situation when for whatever reason, the machine makes a request and gets a refusal in return (insufficient funds, fraud indicators, system down etc). It then prints a notification that the payment has been declined. In the situation, as here, when there is no signal and this no communication, the machine decides that nothing has happened. Because nothing has happened, it doesn't print anything. Maybe it should ... but it doesn't and I don't think we're going to be able to persuade anyone to re-write the operating code for us. It is a very common card machine and certainly not a choice that we have made to upset people.

I don't suppose anyone has reached this far ... but if you have then let me apologise for the dullest of responses. Trust me, it has been no more fun writing it.

I don't quite know what happened with the fish. We've done a pretty neat trick to turn it out as you describe unless our chef really took into his head to play tricks. I know he came out to talk to you to get to grips with it . Anyway, sorry it caused you problems and thanks for the nice bits of your review.