“Superb food.......not so superb service”
Review of Pepper Shack

Pepper Shack
Ranked #3 of 110 Restaurants in Brixham
Cuisines: Barbecue, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Brixham's harbour-side restaurant offers Trinidadian Verna's native Caribbean cuisine alongside great local ribs & home-made steak burgers, local seafood and fun desserts. Carnival favourites Goat Curry, Saltfish & Ackee and Jerk Chicken take pride of place among a number of home-grown recipes - Trinidad Chicken & King Prawn Curry, Pineapple Pork, Legendary Lamb Shank and local Scallop & Ling Curry. Jerk Pork Skewers, Seafood Tart and San Fernando Spicy Prawns appear amongst the starters along with Patties, Gurnard Goujons, Home-made Samosas and Scallops & Hogs. We use local fish in a number of seafood dishes including Fish Bites and a number of curries. Vegetarians are offered Pumpkin Patties and Goat Cheese Samosas among the starters, followed by Sweet Potato & Black Bean Curry, Chilli sin Carne and even Jamaican Jerk Tofu among the Vegan options. A good part of the menu is Gluten-free as indicated in the online menu. Home-made Banana Cake, Sticky Toffee Pudding, Banoffee Pie, Morgan-spiced Rum Panacotta are complemented by Ice Cream, Sorbets, Pineapple Sundae and our own Rum Baba. For children, there are home-made Chicken Nuggets, Spaghetti Bolognese and more Ice Cream. Pepper Shack is fully licensed until midnight with Red Stripe, Sol, Peroni, local Dartmoor ales, Healey's Cornish Ciders, wines from around the world and a wide range of rums among the spirits. We also offer an extensive Cocktail Menu and even Ice Cream Liqueur Cocktails
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I cannot say a bad word about the food, we all left very happy and very full! Our one and only issue would be the service, yes it was warm and inviting but thats where it stopped, everything seemed a little disorganised and chaotic, the management did not seem to have a clue what he was doing and the staff were more interested in sitting around the bar area chatting.

ShackTalk, General Manager at Pepper Shack, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Well, that's a pity!

I'd better apologise for your disappointing experience - probably a combination of our inexperience and you maybe not quite getting what we're aiming at or where we are after 4 weeks. There's an awful lot to learn but we are learning and I'm pretty happy with the progress we've made. Nevertheless, there are times when 'relaxed' has become 'sloppy'. It's lucky you didn't come on the first couple of nights - your review of our early efforts would probably have left me in tears.

We don't want formal 5-star service and definitely not 'servility' but neither is 'clueless' exactly what I'm trying to get across. We've given people a chance to learn with us. I don't mind if our staff chat a bit as long as they are attentive - and appear attentive. Certainly, the overwhelming majority like our service but I'll agree that we're still working on getting everything right.

As you say, you left "happy and full" - and that's how it is supposed to end. Maybe next time, you'll join us for a chat.

Alternatively, we do a takeaway service that might solve the problem!

Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

we had a fantastic meal at Verna's pepper shack last night and will certainly be dining there again. My lamb shank with rice and peas and roti and my wifes goat curry were amazing. Starters and deserts also fantastic. The staff are very welcoming and the atmosphere brilliant. Verna is a great host and even came out of the kitchen to spend time chatting and making sure everyone was having an. enjoyable evening.

1  Thank Andy A
ShackTalk, General Manager at Pepper Shack, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Glad you enjoyed it.

Hopefully, we can maintain what we are doing with a few tweaks added here and there as we go forward. It all seems to be going down very well so far.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Verna's Peppershack is a delightful cubbyhole of culinary pleasure. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, staff friendly and attentive. Food is delicious. You must try the goats cheese croquettes and the goat curry is divine. We were too full to sample dessert but will definitely have a go next time.

1  Thank krbcsaunders

"... a delightful cubbyhole of culinary pleasure."

What a fine expression that is! I'll be quoting that one when I get the website running.

Thanks very much.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Took my wife out last night for a birthday meal and thought we'd give Verna's Pepper Shack a go.
The moment we walked in, we knew it would be a good evening. The décor was was modern, clean and fresh and the walls were adorned with the England rugby shirts in a tribute to the Armitage boys. The venue is situated in the inner harbour so there are stunning views. There are many very good restaurants in Brixham, and we both agreed that this is one of the best. The food was excellent and expertly presented and the whole atmosphere of the place was inspiring and very well managed. On leaving we had that 'feel good' factor and I was especially pleased as my wife loved the experience on her birthday. I only hope I can find the excuse to visit Verna's Pepper Shack soon to taste their beautiful food again. Thank you so much for a cracking evening.

1  Thank Denden1954
ShackTalk, General Manager at Pepper Shack, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Once again - thanks very much!

It's great to be getting such good reviews ... especially "very well managed", haha. We've hopefully got where we wanted to be ... efficient but relaxed.

Glad you both enjoyed it - see you again before too long, I hope

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Went for a friends birthday, we had the whole restaurant as a private booking.

This restaurant has friendly and helpful staff in a beautiful setting next to Brixham harbour, but once you've tasted the food that becomes irrelevant!!

Caribbean buffet meal with a choice of roti (burritos), rice'n'peas, chilli (with or without meat), boeuf bourguignon, peppered pork, jerk chicken, chicken/prawn curry, and more I can't remember. Had seconds, couldn't eat thirds. And then home made gateaux and home made ice cream. Speechless.

Incredible food. Tender, full of flavour, spice without excessive heat, varied, well-matched. Can't find enough adjectives! I am a fan of Caribbean food anyway, but this place is something else. Go and try it for yourselves.

3  Thank alarmcon
ShackTalk, General Manager at Pepper Shack, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Glad you enjoyed the evening.

As our first private booking, we were very pleased the logistics worked out - plenty of food, no hiccups and a good buzz around all the tables. We're getting there, haha.