“Best coffee in Brixham”

Ranked #30 of 111 Restaurants in Brixham
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Millie and Me is a brand new Coffee Shop in the heart of Brixham. We set out to create a warm and welcoming yet quirky space which reflected our personality and ethos. We serve delicious, fairtrade 'FatRoc' Organic Coffee, home made cakes,and pies, and freshly made paninis.
Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

This is a small coffee shop close to the harbour and opposite the Hole in the Wall pub. Coffee is quite simply the best in Brixham. Packed with flavour and served by the owner or their daughter (Millie). Cakes are fresh and home made. Snacks also excellent.
Very much worth a visit

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Normally I wait until I come home from vacation to post reviews but I wanted to write about Millie and Me as soon as possible--so others can enjoy this cafe as much as I did. I love coffee, I am highly critical of a bad cup and can honestly say their coffee is the best in Brixham-Bay Company Coffee was really pretty bad and I am surprised it is so highly rated. I was fortunate to spend many mornings and early afternoons there and was able to sample the homemade pastries, scones and paninis which were absolutely delicious. I highly recommend the brie and chutney panini! Sophie the owner is so sweet and fun; the place has a some very loyal locals and she knows everyone by name. Without compromising the service, she talks to everyone and has a genuine interest in creating a well run business. By far she is probably one of the warmest people I have met in my travels over the past three weeks. Her cafe is impeccably clean and bright cafe-entirely different than the others throughout the town. Everything is homemade-Sophie is an amazing baker and apparently also chef. She does monthly themed dinners and I am sorry that I can not go to them. In between your sampling of fish and chips, and more chips throughout Brixham, I highly recommend to stop in to Millie and Me for a welcome change.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We’re over on our annual visit to Brixham from Australia and we went for a coffee and snack in this place. Although there weren’t any dogs there it had that dog smell so I asked if dogs are allowed and was told they are. (Apparently there’s a sign outside which has those two dreaded words ‘Dogs Welcome’ - must remember my glasses in future because we certainly wouldn’t have gone in if we’d seen it). It’s that smell that just can’t be got rid of but owners get used to and don’t notice it. Now, I’ve said this before when I reviewed another place in Brixham which is that Brixham is getting more and more oversea’s visitors and if there is one thing that will prevent them from patronising a particular bar or restaurant it is the presence of dogs. Most Europeans (apart from a few odd ball poodle carrying Parisians maybe) won’t eat or drink where there are dogs, Americans will not tolerate them in a bar or restaurant while Far Eastern and Asians would walk to the ends of the earth rather than frequent an establishment that allows dogs in and that’s apart from the majority of Brits who are usually too timid to say anything and will just not return.
As a previous reviewer said this café is about the size of a telephone box so to allow dogs in is sheer madness. The owners obviously think that by doing so they are going to increase their trade, that they’ll get dog owners plus non dog owners (about 90% of UK population by the way) but as I have pointed out above the opposite is true. In the end the café’s market will be restricted to just dog owners – about 10% of the pommie population.

1  Thank Daniel m
Bower39, Owner at Millie and Me, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

We are sorry you didn't enjoy your visit to Millie and Me. The decision to allow dogs was led by a number of customers both local and visitors, expressing dismay that there were too few cafes in the town that allowed them. Some days we have a couple of dogs in, others we do't have any. We certainly don't see ourselves creating a niche market. If you detected a dog smell I can only apologize again. We always have the door open and as we are indeed very small the overwhelming aroma is usually of fresh coffee. However we appreciate all feedback as constructive.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Wow. My partner and I came to town to visit my Mom who lives and Brixham and found Millie & Me to be such a Jewel in Brixham. The food (which is all homemade) was superb...the coffee delicious...the decor modern yet very comfy cozy...and the owner Sophie (Millie is her daughter) went out of her way to ensure I felt at home, and cared for...Thank you Sophie...your hospitality and wonderful home cooked food will not be forgotten...and of course..we will be back!

Reviewed August 11, 2012

My husband and I have four properties in Brixham that we let out as holiday lets so we often get asked for our recommendations on local retail outlets. We wouldn’t recommend any place if we hadn’t tried it ourselves and it was for that reason that I went to the recently opened Millie and Me. First impressions were good, nicely decorated, pleasant ambience and very clean. I ordered coffee and a piece of cake and went to a window table and settled into a comfortable chair. Unfortunately that pleasant ambience was shattered when in came a couple with a large excitable dog. Given the size of this café - it is small and when I say small I mean it is about the size of our front room - I fully expected the owners to tell the couple that they couldn’t accommodate dogs, but they didn’t, so I (and other customers) had to tolerate this dog, which was very wet and very smelly, while trying to enjoy my coffee and cake which, not surprisingly, proved impossible.
How dogs can be allowed in this tiny café is beyond me, we certainly wouldn’t take our dog in such a place and she is a very small Jack Russell. This café will lose far more custom than it attracts because of this policy, it will lose me and my husband for a start and we certainly couldn’t recommend it to any of our guests nor our family and friends who visited us on a regular basis.
Great shame really because the coffee was lovely as was the cake I had.

2  Thank Brixham-Lets