“Stunning location for a perfect short break”

The Berry Head Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Brixham
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Stunning location for a perfect short break”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

When we decided to go to the Berry Head Hotel for a three night stay we could only book the week before as my husband was in between hospital treatments so it was the only opportunity we would have for a short break by the sea.
I phoned and spoke to Lucy and explained our situation. She was very sweet and told us that she could offer us a corner room on the second floor with both coastal and sea views. When we arrived we were delighted with our room which was exactly as Lucy described. The beds were very comfy and the views magnificent.
Breakfasts were excellent and we enjoyed our evening meals in the brasserie. Although the weather was fair it was still a bit chilly in the evening for us to eat outside but we were able to enjoy the views from the brasserie.
We hope to be able to return to Berry Head Hotel in a couple of months time and can thoroughly recommend it. The management and staff are friendly and professional and we are very grateful to them for making our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: We found it was worthwhile phoning the hotel to sort out the best available room rather than booking...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Berry Head Hotel for an overnight stop while on business in the area. My only disappointment was that I was unable to stay longer. I was greeted with a warm welcome from helpful staff. The room was spacious, comfortable and afforded superb views over the Brixham Coast. Close enoughy to the sea to hear the waves lapping against the shore line and set in wonderful gardens.
Breakfast was enjoyable and included "hogs pudding", I assume a local speciality.
I was too late for the restaurant which also afforded great views and offered up a menu that was varied but not overly extensive. Clearly a chef that knows what he is doing.
There is an indoor pool and spa bath availalbe on site duting the day, unfortunately I arrived too late and left to early to avail myself of these facilities. I will definitely return to this hotel for a family break at some time soon.

Room Tip: Room 23 has a small window but a great view!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We didn't stay but went for Sunday lunch on a hot day and I have to say that the views are staggering but there are a few things that let it down.
Firstly, we hadn't bought cash with us as when we booked we were told you could pay by card. This was true but only because we were eating and then there was a surcharge; problem being because we wanted to eat outside they wouldn't allow us to open a tab and we couldn't purchase drinks only by card so had to order food and all the drinks at the same time. This meant only having one drink or buying several and letting them heat up in the sun, this is rediculous! So much for enjoying a couple of drinks with the meal......
The food was described on the website as locally sourced? There must be an Iceland somewhere then as my seafood starter was cheap frozen prawns, ok but when you're by the harbour I expected fresh prawns (not many, but some) the carvery was good, plenty of choice (pork a little fatty) but tasty and the dessert was chocolate torte which really was awful, so rich it was in edible. I've given it a 4/5 purely for location but service and food lets it down :(

• Stayed June 2013
Devon
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were organising the Unveiling of a Blue Plaque on this historic hotel which looks out across Torbay and of course we had no choice of venue - we would have had to take whatever was offered! However I can only say that the organisation and support we were given throughout the planning of an event for several hundred people, many of whom were representing national organisations, was fantastic, We would like to thank all the Bence family and their members of staff who, from start to finish, helped make this one-off occasion such a resounding success. The menu which the chef had devised specially for us was simply delicious - so much so that in our thank you letters at least nine different items on the menu were described as the best the writer had ever tasted or words to that effect. It was wonderful.The Mulberry room with its stunning views across Torbay is of course a winner from the start. If anyone is thinking of planning a large and complicated occasion, be it wedding, or corporate event, then Mr Bence and his team are entirely to be trusted. Their preparation is meticulous, and even on the day extra urgent requests for chairs outside for the elderly, assistance with parking,and many other minor details were handled with efficiency and helpfulness. Nothing was too much trouble and in consequence the event went perfectly. I wouldn't normally post reviews but this one is as well deserved as any on this entire site!

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Bromley, England
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have wanted to stay here for years and although the room wasn't quite what I expected we had a lovely stay. The shower was idiosyncratic but the bath was PERFECT. Tea, coffee etc was good quality. I am so pleased that we booked a room with a view. It was a real treat to wake up to the sound of the waves.
We ate afternoon tea on the terrace and thought that the food was tasty, well presented and good value. Our breakfast was delicious with a good variety and if we needed anything the staff were only too happy to help.
We had a fabulous walk to Berry Head and around the bay to St Mary's. I can't wait to go back

Room Tip: I was so pleased that I booked a room with a se view. It was beautiful.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tunbridge Wells
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The view deserves better! Waited one hour for inedible dinner. No wonder the local Beefeater does so well. This hotel requires serious investment and a decent chef using good quality produce.
The position and view across the bay are fantastic it just requires a bit of money and more effective managment. Easy to say I know!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sticker1
brixham
Reviewed May 28, 2013

What a lovely day we had at the Berry Head Hotel on Bank holiday Sunday. We sat outside and had a really delicious carvery. The views are outstanding and we were even treated to dolphins playing in the bay. Who needs to go abroad!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brixham
Quayside Hotel
#2 of 2 in Churston Ferrers
The Smugglers Haunt Hotel
The Smugglers Haunt Hotel
#23 of 26 in Brixham

Been to The Berry Head Hotel? Share your experiences!