“A warm welcome awaits you!”
Review of J's corner - CLOSED

J's corner
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Having recently relocated to Brixham and having tried several establishments J's is one we can recommend J and his family run this clean cafe/restaurant with a vast selection of drinks and meals homemade to satify everyones palate! see you soon!

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We arrived and were greeted nicely by the owner, his son ? took our drinks order while we were deciding what to eat and the coffees arrived quickly (not the tastiest coffee, but OK) , he was very pleasant and chatted and pointed out what we wanted was on an inclusive special that day so we ordered it. (cod, chips and peas, B+B, drink)
While we were waiting other customers arrived and the owner continued in his friendly manner greeting them, we were reassured by him that our meal was on its way even though we had not been waiting long and I made the joke better that than having it raw!
Our food arrived and on first impression looked fine however when my wife got to the thick part of the fillet she found it to be undercooked to the point of transparency, pointing this out to me I checked mine and it was the same.
I feel it only fair to say at this point that I had previously managed a very busy fish and chip shop in London cooking hundreds of portions of fish weekly. This fish was not cooked through.
so without making a big fuss I caught the attention of the son as he finished serving an adjoining table and brought the problem to his attention, he said he would refer it to the owner. So we waited, after a few (too many) minutes of us staring at our plates, the owner arrived and was full of apologies and took our meals away, clearing the table.
In all perhaps we had eaten about 1/3 of the meal each.
Advice time, If you order fish, start from the thickest part first!!
Anyway we waited, and waited, no action, no sign of intention, no explanation, we were still hungry and now looking at an empty table, was it too much to expect the food to be replaced? was it unreasonable to expect to be told what was happening?
It would seem that to the very friendly owner the answer is yes.
Perhaps he is not used to complaints or how to handle them, there are a lot of good reports on here, INDEED THEY EVEN HAVE 2 ENTRIES AND APPEAR WITH 2 RATINGS!! and other food served did look OK.
So after what was too long and not knowing what was happening, certainly enough time for the food to be replaced ( and probably eaten ) we decided to leave.
On exiting I told the owner that I would not be paying for undercooked unsafe raw food especially as no replacement was offered or forthcoming and that we would now have to find somewhere else to satisfy our hunger.
This triggered gushing apologies from him, I didn't realise...etc etc, NO you didn't, NOR DID YOU ASK!!
it also triggered from his wife, 'give them their money back' and 'that fish was not raw' - I think I know who 'cooked' it!
Well folks as I said in the title you choose, hopefully for them they were having an off day as they are a family business, the welcome we got was good, the son was nice, other food looked OK and obviously they do have regulars so must be doing something right most of the time, but looking at the reviews we are not the only ones unimpressed,
'J' family, look at your criticism and learn, think, 'what would I expect if I experienced that problem', perhaps even try a better flavour coffee (even if you have to put the cost up a copper or two) look at your furniture with a critical eye - those chairs really are tatty.
The effort you appear to put in, most of the time works but when it doesn't, you seem lost.
Our criticism although probably not liked is given constructively and without malice but for us the opportunity as a returning customer was lost. A shame Has the potential to be a really good cafe.

janisd1965, Owner at J's corner, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

i find this review to be highly unusual many a point i have to respond to 1 our coffee is probably the most expensive around and i wouldnt charge anymore than i do.2 my partner was informed of the supposedly raw fish he did go to the table once he had finished plating up food that was ready to go which was a very short time indeed most of the food on the plates had been eaten certainly not 1 1/3 as stated and informed the customer that there would be no charge when leaving at no point was it said that no payment was to be forthcoming as already been told it was free and i was not the one to cook food as suggested all other fish cooked and served at the same time was in no way raw and upon inspecting said fish found it to be cooked .as too chairs being tatty yes i have a couple of chairs that need repairing but in no way tatty and noway was my partner gushing he mearly spoke as he would have liked to be spoken too all other customers present were shocked as they had no complaints i keep saying what i say we can not please everyone we will continue to be who we are regardless and look forward to many a repeat customer which is the majority

Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

My son's and I were looking for somewhere to eat this weekend just passed. After passing j's many a time before now, we all decided we would pop in. Well what can I say. Extreamly friendly people. Staff were pleasant and efficient. We ordered and within what seemed like only minutes our food arrived. It must be the best kept secret here in brixham. Food can not in anyway shape or form fault it. Thankyou for making us wellcome and we will defo be back on a regular basis. Highly recommended to anyone, if you don't visit here you will miss out on great food and excellent value for money. :)

1  Thank Kellkoo-2008
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Ate lunch on a cold Nov Sunday afternoon .Food was very good ,tasty and excellent value for money .Main course desert and a hot drink for under £9 per head.Will certainly return as we were made feel really welcome.

1  Thank brian g
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We called in at Brixham for lunch whilst staying in Totnes and looked around the harbour for somewhere to have a cup of tea and a light lunch. We stumbled upon J's corner and looked at the menu. Our initial impression was that it looked reasonable value for money.
On entering we were impressed by the friendly, polite approach from staff. The tea was fresh and excellent value. the meals we ordered came quickly, the food was of good quality for the excellent prices. All the family continued to be very polite throughout and made us feel really welcome.
Would really recommend this place.

1  Thank Mark W