“A realistic review, pleasantly surprised this time”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brixham
Riviera Bay Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We had been to Riviera Bay before and vowed never to go again, but when I got an email for a £59 3 night stay I thought why not! I dont mind roughing it for a bit for that price, I just wanted to get away and we could take the dog here. Well when we got there I was pleasantly surprised. Theyve made a massive improvement, the staff were much friendlier, the entertainment was so much better and theyve put a new car park in and moved the play park and made the site a hell of a lot tidier, got rid of all that horrible bit in the middle that was there. There are new luxury lodges which are up for sale for £99,000 so I guess they had to make improvements otherwise they wouldn't sell. As for the accommodation, well its actually OK for a couple of nights. There was new cushion flooring in the bathrooms and new showers and its much warmer than a caravan and theyve given it a lick of paint inside to brighten it, a little slap dash in places, splashed on the bed headboards, but who cares really, so they are making an effort to improve. As for the chalets, well theyre typical 1960s style chalets which I kind of like as it gives that old fashioned hi-de-hi type feel, the chalets are old so theres not much more they could do with them really, perhaps give the outside a lick of paint. Because of their age they will get damp and musty when shut up but its just down to lack of ventilation, once the windows are opened up its fine. Its clean enough and comfortable enough and for £59 I couldn't care less and when you wake up in the morning, draw back the curtains and see that stunning view, who cares absolutely breathtaking on a sunny morning. Id say its more comfortable than a caravan. The nearby beach is a bit of a dangerous cliff walk and I don't recommend elderly or small children doing it, but if you're fit an able its a beautiful walk and a very quiet beach perfect for dog walkers. My suggestion to Park holidays if they read this, get on top of the cleaning down the side of cookers, behind beds you will have less complaints, it looks clean on the surface, but these little things get noticed and spoil the overall impression as mould and dust and dirt, old food etc accumulates over time and doesn't look good when your putting on your sheets . I loved it here this time, it was a good time to come. Well done on the staff dont know whether you got new in or retrained the old but they're much better, very accommodating and smiles, we like to see smiles and happy campers so thank you, last time was awful but they all made an effort to make you feel welcome this time, lady in charge of check in was lovely, bar staff were lovely, all very good. The restaurant staff were very helpful, they made a mistake on my meal but rectified it straight away and were very apologetic, the food was good value for money, especially the kids meals, ice cream was a huge bowl, much to my kids appreciation, nice breakfast on our last morning and we had a great time and this time we have vowed to return! Yay! Please though Park Holidays can you please let the characters interact more with the children, photo opportunities and cuddles with the characters are all part of the fun for the pre schoolers and they were a little disappointed when the characters disappeared off stage. On the whole though: well done its improved a lot, mainly the attitude of the staff being the best improvement, get the cleaning sorted and you're there. My dog loved it too! Its not the Ritz but for a cheap fun holiday camp get away and stunning location you can't go wrong. A holiday is what you make it people and if your spending long enough in the accommodation to worry about a bit of dust behind the beds, you're not having a holiday, get out there and enjoy it.

Room Tip: Don't bother upgrading to silver its the same thing with a bit of decking and a table, go a bit...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nasher_12
ParkHolidaysUK, General Manager at Riviera Bay Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Thank you for your kind and fair review. I was pleased that following your first visit to the Park you were able to give us another chance and I am more than happy that overall you appeared to have an enjoyable stay.
Here at Riviera Bay the whole team work hard to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay and it certainly gives us no pleasure when we fail.
I would like to thank you for posting your review as it may encourage others to give us "another chance".

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We have had a great time at Riviera Bay. The pre holiday communication was brilliant- email reminder countdowns and a phone call to check details. Throughout the holiday the staff were friendly and very helpful and the Halloween party was superb- the show hysterical! Although the accommodation was basic it was as clean as you can get older property's. We upgraded to silver and had a chalet that overlooked the sea and led straight to the coastal path. It was absolutely superb and even had a deck where we could sit and eat breakfast. The hot water was always plentiful and the chalet warm.
Thank you very much.

• Stayed: November 2013
ParkHolidaysUK, General Manager at Riviera Bay Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thank you Knitnat for such a "Brilliant" review. It certainly looks like Riviera Bay was the Park for you on this occasion and that you enjoyed the park, facilities and your accommodation.
It is always gratifying when guests are happy to post their positive experiences for others to share, as it is more often the case that platforms such as Trip Advisor are only used as a sounding board for bad experiences.
Your comments really are appreciated and assist in keeping our team motivated in ensuring all of our guests have an enjoyable experience. Thank you once again and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We went here on the 25th oct for 3 nights. When checking in noticed a funny smell when we got to the chalet again there was the same damp smell. I was given the keys to 5 chalets in total and all smelt although clean. We decided to stay in the our original 1 as they all smelt it was basic but comfortable. We were given an airfreshner which eased the smell.

the staff are very friendly and honest was told by one its the worst time of the year to go he wouldnt recomend it, as everything needs doing, and was whisppered to by another member of staff that the pool had been closed due to adult fesis.

There was mould which I noticed mainly due to my difficulties in breathing through the night as I have asthma.

The restaurant was nice the carvery was loverly and reasonably priced.

The club house smelt but was fab we loved playing bingo and they have some fabulous entertainers worth there weight in gold. Overall it was a smelly holiday but fab thanx to the entertainers.

You get what you pay for and we didn't pay a lot so was very happy with our little holiday.

1  Thank Kayleigh C
ParkHolidaysUK, General Manager at Riviera Bay Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for your recent review. I was sorry to note that you encountered problems with your accommodation upon arrival. As you are aware, the accommodation provided at Riviera Bay are older and traditional style chalets and unfortunately due to the time of year, together with the recent inclement weather experienced several are prone to smelling damp at times. This is often aleviated once the heating is on and the windows opened to air the accommodation. I can only apologise and hope that it did not spoil your holiday with us. I was hoever pleased to note that the units viewed were all clean.
As with any busy holiday park, things do tend to look a little more tired and worn towards the end of the year prior to our Winter programme of "refreshing" many of the units by repainting and also replacing an element of soft furnishings and other furniture. I am sure that you understand however that to ensure we continue to offer lower priced value holidays, we are unable to upgarde everything in one go.
During your stay with us, the pool did have to be closed on more than one occasion due to "toilet accident" involving children. It is our policy when this happens to close the pool, as with most other swimming pool operators, until any clweaning as carried out and chemical readings are back to an acceptable level.
I would like to apologise overall that we had been affected by the recent wet weather and that a damp smell was present in many areas, including the clubroom. I would however like to thank you for your comments regarding the "fab" entertainers as they will be pleased to have had a special mention.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I will never again go back to this Park Resort or book any future holidays with the Company, nor will I recommend anyone else to either.
On arrival at Riviera Bay camp site in Brixham South Devon (28.October.2013) the first un pleasant experience I encountered was while my partner was waiting to collect our welcome pack and I ventured into the male toilet facilities of the club house where I was hammered by a over powering smell of urine (on later enquiry I was informed later by staff that they the cleaners are not allowed to use chemical cleaning products).
On entry to our Chalet (A14 Rivera Bay) we found what I can best described as a pre 1960’s style 3 room lay out (living area / Kitchen, small bathroom and a twin bed room) was small, cramped and non UPVC windows all round with several window hoppers unable to close or open correctly, sealant coming away & mould underneath (this appeared typical of the Bronze accommodation at both Rivera Bay & Landscove as it was the same problems in all 3 Bronze units we were shown).
The general living area in all units (Rivera Bay & Landscove) were of a very low standard, the laminate flooring was completely worn and chipped with dirt build up within the seams and round the edges of the walls. The bed sofas were either broken, full of bodily produced stains, had signs of previous visiting pets that had chewed corners leaving dangerous edges for small children to sustain injury on, smelled horrendously damp therefore rendering them utterly and completely useless as a bed.
In the second unit we were offered (A22 Rivera Bay) I found the same problems plus extra including the main free standing storage cupboard had also sustained damage but deemed acceptable by the parks management.
Electrical consumer units in all accommodation were unprotected in unlocked cupboards and easily accessible to small children.
The kitchen area in A14 & A22 (Rivera Bay) and B17 (Landscove) contained the basics such as cooker, microwave etc although in both cases these appliances were old and have been extremely well used in their life, the microwave oven within B17 (Landscove) had a cracked door and rust inside. There was evidence of long standing dirt around the windows, cupboards and sink. Mould was present just about everywhere which left an overpowering smell of damp – again we were informed that this was due to the cleaners not been allowed to use chemical cleaning products (although we did however find thick disinfectant had been poured into the toilet which I found contradictory to what I was been told), we were not unfortunately informed of what actually is used to clean the units. Unit B17 contained an old water tank in the main bedroom and had evidence of a longstanding leak which again led to a strong smell of damp throughout the unit.
The twin bedroom in all units were in a similar state of disrepair; the First thing you are confronted with is a filthy worn carpets which contained many dark stains and appeared un hovered (we were shown three Chalets at Bronze level and unfortunately all bedrooms were of the same standard of poor cleanliness) the beds were all completely worn out, all mattresses were extremely uncomfortable as you could feel the springs through every one, bed legs were broken, Head boards were missing and fresh linen was of a poor standard. Again damp was present in all the bedrooms we inspected.
The bathroom, in all 3 units we were shown over two sites bathrooms were again of a very low standard, doors were either ill fitted or had poorly repaired holes where they appeared to have been punched at some point. General cleanliness was absent as the walls were covered in a greasy substance which had obviously built up over a number of years and again mould was present. In unit A22 of Riviera Bay the pull cord light fitting actually pulled away from the ceiling when activated.
The only positive experience of my four hours in the care of Park Resorts was the Administration Manager of Rivera Bay, This wonderful young women was helpful, respectful, calm, polite and generally tried to pull out all the stops for not only myself but for many other families that were having similar difficulties.
As a last resort in an effort to rescue our holiday she upgraded us to a Silver plus Chalet, Unfortunately although standards in the silver plus accommodation where slightly better there where again issues with a strong damp smell and the bedroom mattress was again completely worn out and unusable. In the end we had to accept that Park Resort accommodation was way below acceptable standards and we requested a full refund of our holiday and returned home, holiday completely ruined.

2  Thank Bobb N

I am so very sorry that the accommodation allocated upon arrival did not meet with your expectation. I am aware having spoken to Jennaleigh, our Administration Manager, on several occasions throughout the afternoon of your arrival that we did everything that we could to assist in offering accommodation which we hoped would be suitable to you. Having been surprised at your decision to depart following the offer of the Silver Plus accommodation, I did go and view the unit personally and found there to be no smell, in addition to the finding the beds to be satsfactory.
Riviera Bay is a well established and popular Holiday Park and although all of our accommodation are older style traditional chalets, they should be presented in a clean and comfortbale condition and I am very sorry that they were not to your acceptable standard on this occasion. We do work very closely with our cleaning contractor and your comments have certainly been relayed to them.
Our aim is to provide good value family holidays to suit all budgets and many guests return year on year and find the accommodation to be suitable for there holiday needs, however I do appreciate that we all have differing expectations. It gives us no pleasure to cause upset to any of our guests and we will always work hard to ensure we offer great service. I was pleased to note that Jennaleigh demonstrated this and I know that she will be pleased to have had a special mention.
Once again I can only apologise that neither Riviera Bay nor Landscove were suitable for you and would like to thank you for your review.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Arrived at Riviera bay yet again,no hassle booking in,friendly staff as is usual with Park holidays,our first extra night 13/10/2013 was booked on the day we arrived,couldn't have usual chalet until next day but given a Bronze chalet,few minor probs,but who cared first night!! The chalets are in need of some TLC inside and out,as you would expect after a long holiday season,we moved to our pre booked chalet next day,apart from a resident spider,which we hasten to add,kept out of our way!! We had a fantastic view with unbelieveable sunrises,no damp,mould or dirty anything,windows clean and sparkling(thanks to whoever cleaned A40).We ate in a few times,no problems there,the carvery was value for money,as were most meals etc,nowt wrong there,alcohol a bit pricey this time,cheaper in Brixham,entertainment was excellent in the evenings,plenty of laughs and plenty of seating available,on the 18/10/2013,we turned up late,thinking there would be few seats,surprise surprise loads of seats and tables,which were always clean and cleared of glasses and bottles etc!! Other attractions at Riviera were of good standard,we were surprised how cheap the on site shop was.Parking can be a problem,people leaving cars in the lower car park instead of going up the hill,convenience to the Tropicana club,only 2 disabled bays,always with cars in,nowhere for us to park close to chalet,painful hike at times!!End of season soon,wish we were there for Halloween,last year it was a night to remember,great entertainment with loads of children involved in the show!! Back again next year all being well,a Lotto win would only make for a full season there!! But needs new beds first!!

Room Tip: I wish they would allocate parking places near to chalets,not easy if disabled,and car park needs to...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

It is obvious that you enjoy your stays with us here at Riviera Bay and I would like to thank you for your recent review. I amsure tghat you appreciate at this time of year that much of our accommodation has been occupied for most of our open season and we are fast approcahing our time to give a little "TLC" to them. It is always very difficult whan looking at our Winter schedule, as we still want to be able to offer good value at the best prices possible for our guests, therefore we look to freshen up wherever possible and also replace some of the furniture and furnishings in a number of chalets. I was of course pleased to note that you found your accommodation to be clean.
I was also pleased to note that you find our complex and entertainment to be suitable and our staff to be friendly (they really do apprecaite it, when guests take time to comment).
On a final note, you will be aware that the Parking at Riviera Bay has changed and we now have more spaces than ever before, however the majority of the parking is at the top end of the park and I can only apologise if you struggled to find a space in the arrivals/A field car park. Unfortunately, allocating spaces would cause an ever bigger problem should someone park in the wrong space. We do however appreciate your comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back again next year. PS: We're having another great Halloween week.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Basically the chalet (silver) was clean but there was a damp whiff as we moved in - I advise you take some airfreshner just incase!!! the double bedroom lacked bedside tables but we just shifted the bed over and brought in the small lounge table!! Wardrobes were in need of a makeover bottom drawer opened to reveal no bottom and doors all wonky!! If you arrive after dark take a torch as the park lighting is almost non existent especially from carpark path to B chalets!! I appreciate it cant be too bright but feel a few extra lights wouldnt go amiss!! Didnt eat in restaraunt so cant comment but used bar and arcade and all was good - swimming pool was closed on the day we wanted to use it due to "unforseen circumstances" as was soft play which was a shame but really if you want a cheap place to use as a base for exploring brixham & surrounding areas then this is as good a place as any!! Amazing walk down to St Marys bay and along headland - nice and muddy - ensure you bring your wellies!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent review. I was sorry to note that there was a "damp whiff" in your accommodation, unfortunately this can often occur, as in most older properties, following a spell of wet weather. I would also like to apologise that there appeared to be an issue with the furniture in your accommodation and hope that, if reported to our reception team, we were able to make amends.
Your comments regarding the lighting have been noted, however due to our cliff top location we have to be very mindful of the local environment and wildlife in the surrounding areas and it is more often the case that at certain times of the year lighting is reduced to suit. (we are in the flight path of several bat roosts and work closely with the bat conservation trust to ensure they are not affected).
Unfortunately our swimming pool has had to be closed on several occasions recently due to child "toilet" accidents, which in turn gives us no option but to treat the pool and rebalance the chemicals to a suitable level. I am also aware that a child was "sick" in the ball pool, which again resulted in closure whilst we sanitised the area. As these incidents are out of our control, we can do nothing but apologise.
I am pleased that you found your accommodation to be clean and the location of the park to be suitable and I hope that you will make a return visit in the future.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Stayed october 21-25 and thought it was brilliant there was loads to do and the chalets were nice. we went for silver and found they were quite nice. The staff was friendly and Brixham town is only a ten to twenty minute walk from the complex. After reading reviews i was nervous to stay there but i really enjoyed deffinantly would advise people to go there :)

Room Tip: Go for silver
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
ParkHolidaysUK, General Manager at Riviera Bay Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Thank you for such a "brilliant" review. I am pleased that after you reading comments on Trip Advisor originally, you were able to form your own opinion following your stay with us. We really do appreciate it when guests take time out to post their positive comments for others to share and I would like to thank you for that.
The Park is in a great location, has great facilities and boasts some spectacular views and I am very happy that you were able to make the most of this. I hope that we can welcome you back again very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brixham
Quayside Hotel
#4 of 8 in Brixham
Beverley Holidays
Beverley Holidays
#3 of 25 in Paignton

Been to Riviera Bay Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK? Share your experiences!