“Was expecting A* but got a C-”
Review of The Brixham Deli - CLOSED

The Brixham Deli
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My wife and I called into the Brixham Deli during the past week as some friends had found this place some time before. The setting (Brixham) is idyllic and full of eateries albeit many catering for all things fishy. Coming from a small fishing town in Cornwall we thought we would try something different. The decor is pleasant although uninspiring with a European communal style of eating with big tables which was enjoyable. Our food arrived after what was quite a long wait and although we were looking forward to it, the slight tinge of excitement soon diminished when we were confronted with what can only be described as bland and quite overpriced ordinary food. The portion sizes were a bit on the small side BUT the thing we will go away with is the seemingly lack of care and respect on the part of the management. We could see the staff members doing their best (which was really good considering) to work within a difficult environment.

1  Thank Fred B
There are newer reviews for The Brixham Deli

Reviewed September 14, 2012

While holidaying in Brixham, we stumbled across The Brixham Deli. My husband and I both agreed it was one of the best meals we had during our stay. Slightly pricey, but the food was fresh, tasty and locally sourced. Plenty of choice on the menu.
However, the owner/manager created a most unpleasant atmosphere in which to dine. As a small family with a pushchair, we felt 'in the way', unimportant and ignored. The way he addressed his staff ( who were polite and friendly) was rude and condescending. We also felt it was unprofessional to bad mouth other local eateries to fellow diners and continually mention the deli's recent entry into The Good Food Guide' within earshot of customers.
It's such a shame we rushed our lunch and left because of one person. Yes- the food and surroundings are delightful, but the hospitality aspect need SERIOUS attention.

1  Thank DALEYPOPS
Gill H, Owner at The Brixham Deli, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

I am sorry that you felt unwanted and ignored, I do remember speaking with you and I am pleased you enjoyed the quality of the food of which we are rightly very proud, hence the excitement that we were once again included in The Good Food Guide for the second year in a row. I never speak negatively or name other establishments but I do sometimes point out to customers the difference in quality and "freshness" of local products such as crab meat, perhaps it was this reference that prompted the review. As for our staff I can only assume you misinterpreted the relationship between us all in the Deli, working hard and together is the only way we can produce the excellent food that we aspire to and I am quite sure all our staff young and old would vouch for the enjoyment and fulfillment in working in such a successful business.
Once again I am sorry that you felt it necessary to comment so strongly ... perhaps I was having a bad day.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Having looked at the menus in all the usual touristy cafes in Brixham dropped onto this place by chance. Lovely cream tea and great delicatessen choices for us to take away for our supper! Good service and constant turnover of customers reflecting the quality of produce!

Reviewed August 26, 2012

We visited the deli during our holiday in August 2012. The takeaway paninis are to die for. They are freshly made to order but the wait is well worthwhile. The staff are really friendly too. We can highly recommend the hoi sin duck paninis!

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Disliked the service, was left waiting a long time by a young man who pretended not to see me, I know this was the case as it happened to my mother the following day too despite the shop being virtually empty both times. Food on offer was lovely but they really need to up their game in the service stakes