“Charmingly delicious Devon!”

Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I must admit, I was pretty surprised to see the reviews on this page for Sands Cafe. My fiance and I spent the summer in Braunton visiting his family; we spent a lot of time surfing Saunton beach and we always looked forward to popping into Sands for a post surf indulgence - beer or cream tea or hot chocolate (LOVE that there are still places that load on whip cream!). We often ate lunch too and were never disappointed. I'm a vegetarian and no request for substitutions was ever queried or charged. The manager was particularly helpful with suggestions and one day organized the best salad I've ever been presented! Sometimes the place was hectic busy, which isn't surprising for the location; and you can see that the staff were really rushing around and sometimes we had to wait a little longer for food or hot drinks, but the staff and manager always shot by and offered more drinks while we waited and kept an eye on us. You just sit back and enjoy the view! We had our last night's meal there in the evening and were lucky enough weather-wise to be able sit outside, and it was just perfect! We were greeted like locals and even though we ended up hanging out on the deck til far past closing time nursing the last of our chardonnay, making the most of our last evening in the countryside, we never felt rushed out or felt we were keeping anyone...The food was excellent and the ambience is really charming! Looking forward to doing it all again next year... hopefully!

1  Thank Elle C

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Beautiful views, friendly, efficient staff and a wonderfully warm atmosphere.
Myself and my partner go to the beach cafe everytime we are in Devon.
Last time we took my dad and his partner, (who were staying at the Saunton Sands hotel that weekend) for lunch there. Both of them also said they would definetely go there again.
The best time to go is at sunset. There are gorgeous views and you can either sit inside or out on the terrace if it's not too cold.
The service is second to none! I have a severe lactose intolerance and am also coeliac. The staff didn't bat an eyelid. Usually if I go to a restaurant I'm made to feel as if I'm a complete pain and I get served a few undressed salad leaves. But the staff at the cafe made me a delicious mezze last time and a wonderful fresh fruit salad for dessert. They are always so understanding and accommodating and creative and knowledgable with the foods they offer me. They either adjust dishes which are already on the menu, or create a completely new dish to suit me and my dietary requirements! Very impressive! It's one of the few places I can go to eat where I am not made to feel uncomfortable about my limited diet.
Myself and my partner and all the people we have taken there for coffee and food would highly recommend this place. It's literally on the beach!

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We love this place and have eat here many times in the past we have always had good food and great service so we book a table of 8 in August this year whilst on holiday for 8.30. We were shock by the attitude of the head waiter/manager; all he wanted to do was get us out so he could go home. He talk us out of having a shearing starter by saying they not that good tonight, the main course came out before some of us had finished starters, Then while we were still eating are mains he started to mope the toilet floors out, the smell of toilet cleaner was overpowering, we complained about it to the young waitress who was clearly embarrassed, he heard what was said and just stormed over, rather than apologizing he open fully the patio door next to are table, I was wet and windy outside. Lovely we thought we paid the bill and left.
Such a shame but it just goes to show you your business is only as good as your staff.

2  Thank ideal-days-out
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My partner took my sister and I here one evening, it was around 9pm, but they were still open, and advertising as such. One member of staff was already hoovering the stairs, so we did ask ' are you still open as we only want a drink'. She said yes, so we all went upstairs.
On arriving we were welcomed by someone mopping the floor and were greeted with a very grumpy looking woman, again we checked they were still open and again she said yes. We were handed a menu and then we sat on the balcony. The place inside did look like chaos, there were glasses everywhere and if they were closed then they should have said and not let anyone in.
We waited and we waited for a waitress to come over, there was no sign of anyone and when listening to the people next to us, they had obviously been waiting ages for a cup of tea.
Being locals we really wanted it to be great, as we know the location is amazing, but we were apalled by the complete lack of customer service, it was completely non-exisistent and we left after waiting over 15 minutes for no-one to speak to us at all.
We would not recommend this to anyone - truly appalling.

1  Thank ruthylou
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The portion sizes are unbelievably small!
Trout starter had 2 pieces of trout measuring only 2 inches by 1 inch, and no salad accompanyment.
A very obvious lack of vegetables. Ordered an extra portion of veg from the menu- about half a carrot chopped into little bits! And boiled radishes! Ordered an extra portion of spinach - very stringey and impossible to eat!
Very stingey with the dessert sizes also; everything is in miniature. eg an ice cream scoop is the size of a teaspoon.
A very obvious lack of fibre in the meals
The miniature portion sizes left me hungry and losing weight!

1  Thank michelle f