“Standards are slipping”

Saunton Sands Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Braunton
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Having spent a wonderful weekend in the best apartment at Saunton Sands in the most spectacular weather possible , I would like I to make a few observations.
For manŷ years we came here and appreciated the restaurant rule about jacket and tie and NO children after 7 00 pm
Alas it is no longer the case, we turned up duly attired in Jacket &tie only to find every occupied table casually dressed with Children much in evidence.
The food has taken a change for the worse with the head chef obviously much influenced by masterchef trying to become totally over the top with what we call "Mucked About Food"
Traditional good quality fare is what was always order of the day and what the Hotel built it's reputation on.
To add insult to injury, on our return I saw on line an advert offering the apartments Half price for the whole of June!!
I telephoned a manager to say that at £450 per night we had been overcharged, and his explanation was that as we booked on 4th May for our weekend of 21st June we didn't qualify for the half price offer!!!
If we had waited until 1st June before booking we would have done!!.
The moral here is DONT book well in advance- wait until the last minute
My view is that if prices are reduced it should be for everyone not just the late bookers!!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Peter S
BrendHotels, Owner at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Thank you for your review, I'm so glad that you had a wonderful weekend and enjoyed the great weather.

I'd like to reply to the observations you make. We have slightly revised our restaurant rules which are present on our website, but we do still require people to be very smart. 'From 6.30pm smart dress is required for dinner, in other words we don’t allow sportswear, collarless shirts, shorts, trainers or sandals to be worn please. Smart jeans may now be worn in the restaurant'.

Our restaurant is AA rosette award winning quality and a fine dining experience. There are other dining options in the hotel and our Terrace Lounge menu offers fresh locally sourced food.

Our special offers are available to all our visitors and appear on our website. This included the half price apartments booked in June. I'm sorry that you didn't qualify on this occasion, but please do look out for any future ones on the offers page of our website.

I do hope that you will make a return visit soon - Pete Brend

Write a ReviewReviews (1,869)

Reviewed June 24, 2014

The hotel has an elegant interior and the rooms are nicely furnished. We were travelling around Devon so only stayed for one night. The weather was great and the heated outdoor pool was super. We found breakfast and dinner to be very good and the staff couteous and helpful.
The hotel overlooks a fabulous beach and I doubt whether there is a better vista in the uk. Unfortunately, for me, the big let down (Not the hotel's fault) is that the beach is crawling with yapping dogs (one person had 6) and despite the fact that it is some distance away, the noise did carry.

1  Thank Oldironfan

Thank you for writing us a review, I'm so glad you experienced the fabulous weather and our outdoor pool. We are blessed as you say, to have just a fantastic headland position. I hope you make a return visit very soon - Pete Brend

Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a holiday apartment with another family. Couldn't have been a better layout, clean rooms and great babysitting service.
Food was great.
We loved the heated outdoor pool. Will definitely come again!

• Stayed: June 2014
BrendHotels, Owner at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

I'm so pleased you all had a great time. Our apartments are great for families, you have use of all the hotel's facilities but all the room you need to be together as a family. I hope that you made some lifetime memories and will visit us again soon - Pete Brend

Reviewed June 22, 2014

The Hotel itself was superb but spoilt by the food which was extremely disappointing. The broccoli I had with the fish was hard and the fish was minuscule. The Knickerbocker Glory was the worst one I have ever had. The famous cream tea had the worst scones I have seen apart from the ones seen in a corner shop. Fortunately we were only given one each. The cream had been left out for some time as it was not fresh but melting. The breakfast would of been ok if it had been hot. We were not allowed to sit by the windows as they were reserved for coach parties also in certain areas of the Terrace.

Room Tip: Do not accept rooms without lift access as the 2 flights of stairs are very steep and they don't...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Ivan B

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us, I hope that your room was comfortable and you made use of our facilities.

I am sorry that your dining experience was not to your liking. Each restaurant dish is cooked to order and receives fantastic reviews. I hope that you spoke to your dining staff that evening and your issues were resolved?

I hope that you will make a return visit soon - Pete Brend

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Thank you to all the staff at Saunton Sands Hotel. We have just returned from the Strictly Come Dancing event at the hotel and we had a fabulous time. The staff are amazing...well done to the manager for motivating everyone that works here...mind you the location is so fabulous I can't see how anyone one working there would not be smiling and friendly. The evening meal was excellent. Breakfast was a bit cool but this was dealt with professionally and promptly once pointed out. Our room was very comfortable (118) and well appointed. We will be coming back as soon as we can.

Room Tip: If you can afford it chose a room with a balcony...the view is stunning.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed our Glitz and Sparkle summer ball. It really was a fabulous night. I shall let everyone involved know how much you enjoyed the evening and your stay with us. I look forward to seeing you again very soon - Pete Brend

Reviewed June 19, 2014

This was a great holiday in a very well-run hotel. There was a lot of attention to detail and the food in the restaurant or terrace restaurant was very good. The staff were attentive and helpful. My only complaint was that some mornings the food in the cooked breakfast buffet appeared to have been there for a while, On our previous stay at the hotel, the chef cooked the eggs as he was asked for them.

Room Tip: Always pay the extra for a sea view. You will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for your great review of your stay. I'm glad that you had a great time. I shall speak to the kitchen regarding the breakfast buffet, but please be assured that all of our food is cooked freshly each morning. Please do come back again soon - Pete Brend

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Sitting in the absolute comfort of this fantastic hotel, I read a couple of reviews which left me speechless. We had a fantastic, comfortable, super-clean bedroom and had a wonderful meals served by attentive, but not intrusive staff.
When we arrived we were escorted from our car to our room in a seamless exercise and our luggage housed while we registered.
Having stayed in excellent hotels across Europe, Saunton Sands Hotel and also a sister Brend hotel we have used, rank amongst the nicest and most user friendly.
I can only assume other reporters frequent Claridges or the Savoy, as it would take such a calibre to beat the professionalism of the Brend staff.
We shall return......

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view to gain the most from the fantastic, almost unrivalled location.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

What a fantastic review of our hotel. Thank you. Our staff really pride themselves on giving our guests a first class service and it sounds as though you experienced that. I look forward to your next stay - Pete Brend

Also consider these accommodations in or near Braunton
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
#1 of 6 in Barnstaple
Royal & Fortescue Hotel
Royal & Fortescue Hotel
#5 of 6 in Barnstaple

Been to Saunton Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!