“Don't Bother!”

Parkdean - Challaborough Bay Holiday Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover Devon's Secret Bay...Keep this to yourself but there's a speaceful holiday park, in a quiet corner of Devon, set right on the edge of a glorious, sheltered beach. It's a perfect coastal retreat with blue seas to paddle in, rugged paths to explore, tiny villages to discover and wonderful views across to historic Burgh Island. Even the name's a delight... Challaborogh Bay.* A quiet, friendly park by a secluded beach * Golden sands and a great surf school * Rugged walks along the South West Coastal Path * An Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty * Perfect base for exploring the heritage coastline
Gloucester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Don't Bother!”
Reviewed August 18, 2010

From the outside the caravan was clearly very old and had seen better days! we were given a 3 bed fulmar caravan. The master bedroom stank of stale smoke and the carpet had some disgusting stains on it! Very off putting. The bathroom door didn't shut properly and needed to be relplaced and the original lock was missing. The dining table had chewing gum stuck to it's underneath, YUK! The fridge was clearly on it's last legs, it had rust on the doors and a major crack across the top of it. The T.V had a really annoying buzzing sound when turned on and the D.V.D player didn't work. The radio's aerial was broke and you could only get 1 station.
However there are some good points for the park, the regatta bar terrace was very nice, the takeaway was O.K, the swimming pool was good, my children really enjoyed it. The entertainment was what you expect! The soft play area was in need of a makeover, it was very dated! There was no outside play area for children to play any ball games, or any swings. The only play area was a pirate ship which got very crowded at times!
Considering we paid peek season prices,we feel really let down. We will not be visiting this holiday park at all again, mainly due to the accomodation provided!
If you find another park to stay on the area is well worth visiting!

3 Thank sarah187047

• Polish first
Bristol
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very nice - shame about the restaurant”
Reviewed July 11, 2010

Visited Challaborough Bay in July 2010. The park is small and quiet. Most is on a level pitch, but there is a small group of caravans way up the side called 'Hilltop'. I struggled getting the buggy up it, but we were given a free parking pass to park in the car park at the bottom.
Instead of one large complex, everything is spread over small buildings. The pool is a regular pool with a toddler pool and jacuzzi on the side. There is a special changing room for babies, thankfully!
The paths down to the beach are either stairs or incredibly steep, it will take 2 people to get a buggy down them. The sand is a dark muddy sand, and there is a lot of sand lice - so bathe your little ones well afterwards!
We stayed in a private caravan being rented out. It was a 2-bed Arizona. They had put in a really comfy bed, and the sofa was actually padded - not just the usual plank of wood with cloth on it! Everyone seems to have Sky, but it will go out if it's raining so bring DVDs if you have little ones.
Staff were all really nice and friendly, as you expect from Park Dean.
Costcutter is the usual one you'd find at Park Dean - slightly more than you want to pay without being too unreasonable.
It is really in the middle of nowhere, so grocery shop before you get there. Closest is 30 minutes away in Knightbridge.
Bad point - the restaurant. Dear god. Honestly, my expectations were low, I know what these are usually like. But goodness - horrific. First - the highchairs were caked with old food and sticky things. One was broken - missing half the straps. We ordered 2 currys, as it was their Curry night £6.95. You got a curry, rice, nan bread and 1 onion bahji. It was, I swear, a microwave ready-made meal. Everything was microwaved, and it was vile. I thought it was a weird joke. My partner ordered a pudding, but I refused to waste money on what I expected to be equally awful. He ordered sticky toffee pudding, which was again microwaved into a lump of dry dough.
There are 2 takeaways - we only ate at the one closest to the beach, which was very nice.
I would go back, but the restarant put me off to be honest.

UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“A good family weekend by the sea”
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We spent a long weekend (Fri-Mon) at this park in mid-June, booked by collecting tokens through a national paper. We chose the site because of the proximity of the beach, which was literally a two minute walk from our caravan. It's a small-ish beach when the tide is in, but really lovely at low tide. The only occasion I saw the beach dirty was at the end of the day when most people had gone home - it was absolutely covered in litter, despite there being plenty of bins around. Come on, people, how hard is it to put your rubbish in a bin? The park staff were out clearing it first thing the following morning. If you don't fancy this beach, it's a short (uphill) walk across to Bigbury on Sea beach (about 15 mins) - the coast path is good, we managed it with a child's trike!

Our caravan was spacious and spotlessly clean. We were a bit worried that it was right next to the clubhouse, but even at turning out time we didn't hear much noise, despite an England match on one night. The site facilities were a bit mixed - swimming pool, great. Restaurant, food ok, but nearly an hours wait for the food to arrive, despite the place being only half full. Takeaway, ok, but the one on the beach is better. Local shop, well stocked. We didn't really use the clubhouse as the children's entertainment didn't start until well after my toddler was ready for his bed. Why not put the kids entertainment on first and bingo afterwards?

The location for us was fine for a weekend break, but you'd need to get out and explore the area if you were there for a week. This does mean negotiating the narrow roads, though. They aren't impossible, just a bit narrow, but there are plenty of passing places.

I'd definitely say that the good weather made our stay - there wouldn't be a lot to keep you occupied for a rainy week, but I'd choose this again for a weekend by the sea.

wakefield
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“a bit isolated but fine all the same”
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I booked this through hoseasons because of its proximity to the beach....then I stumbled upon the reviews and thought omg! What a mistake!
Now firstly lets say this ok the Ritz it aint but there was nothing wrong with the caravan we had. It was clean and comfortable and for a basic price quite well equipped. We were close to the club house but were not disturbed after closing time and the park was generally clean and tidy. All the staff seemed helpful and polite except one which I will get to.
Yes the soft play area and playground is a bit naff but my 17 month old son didn’t seem to care and site shop is a bit pricey but no different than any other besides as you will probably drive there you can stock up in ivybridge or kingsbridge or even at the supermarket at the side of paignton zoo if you choose to go....
The beach is fine and the tide goes out a long way. There are occasions when local surfers are there but they tend to stay at one end of the beach in the biggest surf which is away from the best parts of the beach so away from the kids, there are lifeguards on at all times and a good fish & chip shop/general beach shop. It does say locals only on one of the walls but its just graffiti and that’s all.
Now the only gripe I have and it’s a small one really but one that must be aired. The clubhouse is advertised as family entertainment with a boast of come and join us from 6:30 till late. Now the bar opens at 7:00pm exact so if you go in at 6:30 you’re sat without a drink which is a bit pointless, Bingo starts between 7:30 and whenever there seems to be enough people in, then the kids show starts whenever the bingo finishes till 8:45 exact., then the star turn is on from 9:00 till 10:30ish when you are bombarded with up to the minute dance trash which im sure is played to empty the bar and succeeds most evenings. The problem is CHILDREN ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN SEETED AT THE TABLES DURING BINGO AND WHEN THEY GO INTO WHAT THEY REDICULOUSLY CALL"THEATRE CONDITONS" I.E WHEN THE TURN IS ON! As this is for most of the night anyone who has children will realize this is nigh on impossible and for a family bar the stupidest thing I have ever heard... And here she is the only member of staff I didn’t like, Sat in a chair on the edge of the dance floor like the child catcher making sure you obey.
In summary
Good park. Nice caravan. decent beach .ok entertainment. Stupid club rules. .

Bristol
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Look at the positive - not the negative!”
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Stayed at this park for a weekend at the end of June 2010. The park is of a reasonable size, it has all the usual park amenities swimming pool, club, amusements, kids club, restaurant and takeaway albeit on a fairly small scale. The entertainment is typical holiday park style, but hey go with the flow - if you choose a caravan park holiday would you expect any different? The bay could not be any closer to the park which is a lovely aspect if you have children, some people moan about the beach being 'dirty', it was defintetely NOT dirty when we were there, unless you class natural things like seaweed, pebbles shells and maybe the odd bit of driftwood dirt???? The bay is shallow quite a way out so ideal for children, just beware the waves are pretty strong, but ideal for older children with body boards, rings etc. We had a great time, we were lucky with the weather, spent both days on the beach. Lovely spot not commercialised apart from the park and 1 beach type shop. The only negatives I would say is that if you were staying for a week and the weather was inclement you would probably need to venture out to fill your days and it is not an easy place to negotiate in or out of due to the amount of single track lanes to obtain access. As others have said, don't leave home without a sat nav! lol

2 Thank suzywongBristol