“Bickleigh Castle is First Class All the Way”
Review of Bickleigh Castle

Bickleigh Castle
Ranked #2 of 4 Bickleigh B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My fiance and I chose Bickleigh Castle for our wedding. We viewed other potential venues too but Bickleigh Castle really did stand out - it is beautiful and has its own special charm. The owners and staff also made us feel very welcome right from the start and we knew instinctively it would be the perfect wedding venue.

Our wedding was smallish (17 guests, most of whom stayed over) although there is capacity for many more at the castle.

I had no doubt it would be a magical day. Everything was excellent and surpassed expectations, from the beautiful, immaculately clean cottages where the guests can stay to the stunning grounds, caring and professional staff, and of course the Great Hall, dining room and other rooms used for the ceremony and reception.

The cottages are more personal than hotel rooms so for a wedding with various couples and families this is ideal accommodation because it is homely and comfortable.

The food was spectacular, flawlessly presented and served and absolutely beautiful in terms of flavor. I am a food and drink writer and also very fussy about my food but I have to say I was 100% delighted with it and I honestly do not say that very often.

Some of our wedding guests were over from Holland and they remarked how charming and quintessentially English everything was, loving every second of it.

Sarah was involved in the day, which I what I wanted. I felt that not only did she take enormous pride in the castle but also wanted to ensure our wedding went smoothly and ensure everyone was happy.

Sharon is an excellent organizer and the rest of the team were great too. On the day itself I had no shortage of well-wishers from the castle popping in and bringing me encouraging words, champagne, coming to check I was OK and ask whether I needed anything. It was all lovely and I did feel very cared for. You just don't get that in most places.

It's quite rare for me to post a 5-star review on Trip Advisor (see my other reviews and you'll see what I mean) but Bickleigh Castle earned every one as far as I am concerned. Everything from the little touches (the high thread-count Egyptian cotton sheets, the elegant beauty of the bridal suite, the historical talk about the castle, the scones with jam and cream presented on the Friday evening with tea and coffee) to the major things (spotless rooms, beautiful plants and gardens, an incredible atmosphere in the Great Hall and beyond, and the caring, professional, cheerful attitude of the owners and staff) was all we could have wished for.

I felt totally at home at Bickleigh Castle and it is a weekend I will remember my whole life. I think many of the wedding guests will agree. Nothing was too much trouble for Sarah, Sharon or the rest, and if anyone is reading this and considering Bickleigh Castle as a potential wedding venue or as a venue for any kind of event then I strongly suggest you do it!

My husband and I made lifelong friends at the castle and I have nothing but great things to say about them because they did absolutely everything in their power to ensure we had a beautiful wedding day, and that is all we could have wished for.

We got first-class treatment from beginning to end. Everyone deserves a fairytale wedding and, thanks to the love and care from Bickleigh Castle, ours was a fairytale indeed.

I was sad to leave!!

2  Thank Victel
BickleighCastle, Guest Relations Manager at Bickleigh Castle, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

A big thank you for such a lovely review! We have shared this with potential Brides who are finding it very helpful.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed every moment of your time here and hopefully you may return ?

It was a pleasure to help make your weekend and Wedding perfect

Kind regards
Nikki

There are newer reviews for Bickleigh Castle

Reviewed April 19, 2013

A charming remnant of of what going down to the country must have been like before life became so full of stress and electronics. Made so very welcome in this unusual but beautiful setting. Many very good N.T. properties near by, Dunster Castle, Knightshayes are well worth the visit as is the drive up the Exe Valley. The Cadeliegh Arms, turn left before bridge, is a charming and very friendly pub serving excellent food.On the down side, some rooms are not en-suite

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Thanks again to Sarah, her family and the staff of Bickleigh Castle for a wonderful weekend. My husband and I enjoyed a two night stay in this beautiful location and would recommend it highly. The disappointment of driving away from the sun in London and arriving in rain (ironically!) did not overshadow our stay due to the combination of the captivating history of the Castle and accommodation and the very warm, relaxed welcome we received on arrival and throughout the weekend. The Castle and grounds have clearly been lovingly tendered and the accommodation is of a high standard and extremely comfortable and spacious. It really does feel that you are being welcomed into someone's home rather than a 'hotel' - just that that home happens to be a castle! Lovely stay, lovely people, lovely location ..... and beautiful Egyptian cotton bedding! (Sarah will understand the joke!)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Liz M
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My Husband and I have just arrived back from Bickleigh Castle after celebrating our wedding anniversary there. We stayed in one of the charming thatched cottages, greeted by Sophie who was a gem and an asset to Bickleigh Castle. We enjoyed the wonderful hospitality of Robert and Sarah (and very much enjoyed the tour of the castle). It's the perfect place for relaxation and a break from city life! Is an absolute must for a wedding venue; it is clear Sarah is very passionate about this and would clearly understand your needs. All in all an excellent stay, we couldn't have wanted for more. Thank you both (and Sophie)!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I took our two young children on short break to Devon and spent four nights in one of the lovely thatched cottages inside the castle grounds. It was a beautiful castle and the children really loved exploring the castle grounds The room was perfect for us and very spacious. It also proved to be a great location to base ourselves as we travelled off to different attractions around Devon. Breakfast was nice and relaxed. A continental breakfast was included in our rate and that was ideal for us. We had a lovely experience and hope to return again in the near future!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Bickleigh Castle is a magical place, steeped in history and lovingly maintained. We arrived late and thankfully the staff waited for us. Everyone we had contact with showed true enthusiasm for hosting us -- even though we were just staying for one evening. We especially enjoyed the tour of the castle and grounds. We could see how this would be a perfect Wedding venue. Many thanks to the people of Bickleigh Castle for making us feel comfortable and welcome!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

My Wife and I have just got back from a two night stay on a KGB Deal, and we haven't stopped talking about how wonderful it was, and when we will be booking our next stay. We stayed in Moat Cottage which was lovely, the room had a TV/DVD, Tea/Coffee facilities and bottled water. The only downside (which we were not made aware of at the time of booking) is, the cottages are shared bathrooms (two bedrooms on the ground floor sharing a bathroom, and two bedrooms on the top floor sharing a bathroom), luckily, no one else was staying in our cottage, so we had the bathroom to ourselves.

Breakfast was excellent, and we had breakfast the first morning in the owners dining room. We had breakfast in the conservatory on the second morning and we were treated to a personal tour of the castle and the chapel by one of the owners, which was amazing. We also met with a lovely couple who were also staying in another cottage.

The roads are a little narrow (especially a bridge not far from the Castle), but these are country roads.

Exeter is about 25 minutes away, and made for a great day out.

There is not much in the way of Restaurants nearby, except for the Trout Inn (which we didn't get to try), and the Fisherman's Cot (which we were put off by lots of bad reviews on Tripadvisor), but we did make the 20 minute trip to Cullompton and the Merry Harriers which was excellent.

We had a great stay, and the staff we're so friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bickleigh
Best Western Tiverton Hotel
#1 of 4 in Bickleigh
The Mitre Inn
The Mitre Inn
#1 of 4 in Witheridge

Been to Bickleigh Castle? Share your experiences!