“Lovely Stay and Fab Weather”
Review of The Sloop Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bantham
The Sloop Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Bantham B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Had a very enjoyable stay, excellent accommodation and a big breakfast!
The food was superb and all the staff were excellent.
The rooms were very comfortable and clean.
Nothing seemed too much trouble
Couldn't fault it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We had a very warm and friendly welcome when we arrivied and the room was very clean and comfortable.

The breakfast was very good, as was the evening meal!

The staff were very helpful especially with our 2 year old.

I would recommend it to anyone and will be staying again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were recommended to stay here by friends and we were very glad that we did. Great pub food, friendly helpful staff in a wonderful location. The rooms we stayed in had a lovely view over the estuary. Couldn't fault it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Here we go. Where do I start I ask myself? I have never had any reason to write a bad review before as I am usually pleased with the service I get from places I have stayed. But We have a few complaints about this one! Its small complaints and they would normally be forgotten but they all seem to add up to not recommending this beautiful pub in such a fantastic place.
It started when we booked it, we were told to ring back in 15 mins because they were busy. Maybe we should have taken that as a warning but gave them the benefit of the doubt.
Firstly we ate there on all 3 nights we stayed and the food was good (a bit expensive for pub prices) the staff need training in customer services skills and how to smile. Brown sauce was asked for a few times but didn't arrive. Peas were forgotten with the scampi and chips.
We were forgotten at breakfast one day and the table was laid out as we went through breakfast, we had to keep asking for things eg: cups and sugar. We asked for shredded wheat which was on the menu on the first morning. And by the third morning Weetabix as well as shredded wheat had run out.
The room was lovely with 3 windows on the top floor with fantastic views but there was a dreadful smell in the bathroom, the shower leaked on the floor in the bathroom we had to keep mopping it up. We were given some blue roll to do this with. The toilet brush was disgusting we discovered this when mopping the floor . Three light bulbs were not working. The welcome pack was found in the bottom drawer underneath the spare towels when leaving and checking we had not forgotten anything. We had to ask for more tea and coffee and even a toilet roll because the room is only serviced if the paper hanger is left on the door which we were not aware of until we read the hidden welcome pack.
As we waited to order our food at the bar we noticed another customer being charged for food that was served to another customer. Which when he complained it caused much huffing and puffing by staff. And much confusion a further indication of the complete ineptitude of the staff. It comes as no surprise therefore to find that the kitchen has only scored 1 out of 5 on the national food hygiene rating scheme. Check it out on the food standards agency's web site if you wish.

Room Tip: Room 5 has lovely views
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank bluigi
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This place would be unacceptable for most travellers, especially at the cost. Not particulariy friendly, could have been cleaner, difficult one-way lane to get to, only show in town, average restaurant. However the breakfast was good. No reason to return.

Room Tip: Don't get rooms over the bar, they are so noisy you had better plan on staying awake until clos...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Brett C
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Early for a local business appointment so called in for lunch. Busy but not too busy. Friendly welcome from behind the bar; non-Devon 'locals' made no attempt to move so business conducted at arms length. Good beer, good food and good value.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Will1144
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We go to Bantham Beach regularly in all seasons for the wonderful views and walks around the area, but usually avoid eating here because of a few mediocre meals in the past.

With friends from London in tow, encompassing six hungry kids and six adults, we decided to give the Sloop another chance. Not wanting to take a risk with something more challenging we had fish and chips, sausage and chips etc. The food took nearly an hour to arrive and several smaller groups who came in after us were served (the same meals) ages before a plate of food came to our table. After 40 minutes I placed a tactful request that they bring our food along. After assurances that it was on the way we had three of the six adult meals arrive 15 minutes later. Then 15 minutes later again the remaining three meals appeared. ??

To top it off one of our party spent half the meal picking through their fried fish because there was an abundance of bones in the fillet, making the whole thing very unappetizing, bordering on inedible.

I am American and have lived in England for 15 years and have gotten used to the differences between waiting staff here and in the US. Not wanting to cause a fuss, but not willing to pay for a meal that was 1 hour late and then full of bones, I spoke candidly with the manager of the place. The reception I got was downright ignorant. He cross-examined me as if the £200+ we spent that day was a personal favour I owed him - "how many bones were there?"; and my favorite.."its fish..ITS GOT BONES IN IT" he said with thinly masked belligerence.

Enough. I collected my party, got the check and thwacked down my card, doing the good English thing and silently vowing to never return. The manager clearly had thought about it for a few minutes and made a big song and dance about not charging for the one meal. I paid up and he said with a beady stare "see you again".. to which I now tell all my friends on TripAdvisor "No they won't".

A case study of how not to run a pub.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank MauiAgainPleaseUk

Been to The Sloop Inn? Share your experiences!