“well done!”

Ranked #10 of 137 Restaurants in St Peter Port
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We visited here on liberation day and it was packed! Although they were very busy the manager took my number and promised to call me as soon as there was a table free, for our party of 6, so we were free to have a wonder. Not 20 min later she called to tell us our table was ready, now thats service! We were servied quickly and although we only had sandwiches, galettes and salads they were all really fresh and arrived quickly, which as it was so busy we were surprised at! My wife and I returned to give the evening menu a try and it was good! I had 'The Boathouse seafood Paella' it was delicious and very fresh, my wife had their 'famous fish pie' and it to was really tasty and the chocolate and banana brownie we shared was to die for! The staff were all so friendly and nothing was to much for them! Will be back soon!

1  Thank craig b
Write a ReviewReviews (1,002)

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I was invited by firends to a 'treat' meal and after discussion, we chose The Boathouse - it's reputation and past experiences have been very good. HOWEVER, on this occasion, we were extremely disappointed. My hosts ordered a Filet Steak with Bearnaise Sauce and 'Fish and Chips. I also chose the Filet Steak, same sauce, but French Fries instead of Chunky Chips.
So far so good (it did take a while to place the order but we didn't mind as we were quite happy chatting and had ordered and received our drinks.)
The food arrived - looked great - but to our disappointment, both steaks were overcooked. Mine was supposed to be medium rare and was medium and my hosts was supposed to be medium and was medium well. So to help out, he had mine and his went back. I watched with hungry eyes as they enjoyed their dishes - and about 20 minutes later, long after they had finished, my food arrived. No fresh Bearnaise Sauce and the Steak was again medium.
By this time I was past waiting and did not order anything else, but sent it all back.
PERFECTION - IN A BAD WAY was achieved by the lack of care, the attitude of the 'grunting' waiter and when we left, the Managers complete indifference - I left, hungry and disappointed.
Frankly, having owned and worked in a number of restaurants, in Guernsey, Israel and London, I am well aware how long it takies to prepare a medium rare Filet Steak. I suspect the 'Chef' forgot and then ignored the need to take extra care at his second attempt. What a shame.
In three yars in my Reataurant in Guernsey, I only had one complaint! That was also an overcooked steak and my response was to carefully prepare a fresh dish, cooked to perfection and to NOT CHARGE FOR THE DISH AND TO PROVIDE A FREE DRINK!
Lessons to be learned at The Boathouse Restaurant in Guernsey, methinks.
Hopefully they will read this and take action to ensure their previous good record is regained and maintained. Time will tell.

2  Thank paulmoed
Daniel F, General Manager at The Boathouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2015

Dear paulmoed

I'm sorry unsatisfactory your visit to our restaurant. I would like to very warmly invite you again to visit our restaurant and evaluation of our new menu at my new management.

Kind Regards

Daniel Faluta

The Boathouse Restaurant Manager

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Used to be a firm favourite. Chef overlooked fillet steak three times. Dry and wreaked. Waiter just grunted when this was pointed out. Manageress did not seem to care when we complained. Made no effort to address the fact customers were unhappy.

Won't go there again. Suggest you avoid too.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Myself and two friends go there when we can all get together for lunch, as it is such a nice place. There is seating both inside and outside, the best being out back which overhangs part of the harbour. They do a lovely Prosecco! It changes in the winter to what looks like a swiss chalet and do fondue and burn a log fire

Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I visited one evening, found the prices were a bit pricey and they concentrate more on Seafood, I chose the Brie Fritters which were lovely and never had them presented
that way before really enjoyed that dish. We both had Caesar Salad with breaded scampi
bit pricey for what we got but still enjoyable, it came in a filo pastry basket and the scampi and
bacon bits were dotted around the plate. Had a bottle of presseco to go with it and it came to
around £55.