“First Visit”

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Basingstoke
“First Visit”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from our very first visit to Guernsey and we were delighted to find the Fermain Valley Hotel an excellent venue. We found the staff very friendly and helpful(they even offered to repair my wife's holdall which had been split on the journey to Guernsey and a good job they made of it as well!)
Unknown to us before we arrived was that our trip coincided with the annual 'Tennerfest' and consequently saw no reason to leave the hotel for evening meals - the food was excellent.
We were accommodated in a Gold Room at the front of the hotel with a wonderful view down the valley to the sea.
All in all we have no hesitation in recommending the Fermain Valley and have every intention of visiting again as soon as we are able.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a Gold Room in the main building
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Martyn F
Robert S, General Manager at Fermain Valley Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Martyn F,
Thank you very much for your kind words, we are very pleased that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us here at Fermain Valley Hotel. It is always our aim to ensure that all of our guests have the most enjoyable and comfortable stay. It was nice to hear you enjoyed the Tennerfest, this is a very busy time for us. It’s also very good to hear you enjoyed one of our Gold rooms, making the most of the beautiful sea views. I will be sure to share your feedback with all the team.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kind regards
Robert Steen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Madeley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

The hotel was very comfortable and breakfast provided an excellent range of fruits, cereals, yoghurts and cooked breakfast selection. We dined in the restaurant in the evening, on two occasions and the food and service were excellent.
The staff, generally, were very helpful; although one particular evening when we requested to use the courtesy bus to travel into town, there seemed to be some confusion on whether it was in operation. We were told it was not running that evening, only to follow it to the exact same restaurant we were visiting. It contained only one passenger, there were three in our party and the bus can comfortably carry eight. Ordinarily, not a huge problem, but we were celebrating my husband's 50th birthday and this seemed a little unfair.
We did discuss it with the reception staff to be told that it only became available at the last moment, however, when we discussed it with the driver, he reported he was due to work until 11 pm that evening and was not aware of any difficulties with the bus running. Hmmm.
Another issue we had with our room was being woken on most weekday mornings by the delivery driver from a local food firm. We understood that these deliveries needed to be performed, but having the "clanking" sound of a trolley being dragged up and down the stairs at 8 am, right outside our room, was not conducive to a relaxing break !
We discussed this with the reception staff, who, in all fairness, promptly contacted the firm to demand that their staff were a little quieter in the mornings, however it didn't seem to make much difference.
Although I appear to be moaning (!) we did enjoy our stay at the Fermaine Valley. The staff in the bars and dining areas were very helpful and friendly and were only too happy to provide the little extra services we requested. Namely, having cheese and wine in our room on the evening of our Wedding Anniversary.
All in all, a very nice hotel and we are considering returning next year, when it is my mother-in-laws 70th birthday, however we will be selecting a sea view room !

Room Tip: Sea view rooms would be quieter
2 Thank Iyul
Robert S, General Manager at Fermain Valley Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Lyul,
Firstly I am pleased that you both enjoyed your dining experience at Breakfast with us at Fermain Valley. This is something both we and our head chef pride ourselves on and I am glad to hear you enjoyed it.
I must apologise for the confusion which seems to have arisen over the use of the hotel bus. We have decided to review the evening bus drivers to ensure that we have more drivers available. In the future we will have more flexibility with this and I am sorry this happened during your stay.
I am pleased that our receptionist was prompt and able to try to resolve the noise issue for you, we have since contacted our delivery companies to ensure this isn’t a problem in the future.
Thank you for your kind words and I am pleased to hear the staff helped you celebrate your wedding anniversary and am glad you both enjoyed your cheese board !We very much hope to see you and your family next year for your mother in Laws birthday celebration.
Kind regards
Abingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The hotel was extremely comfortable and the food in both restaurants was superb. The hotel is just a few minutes drive from St Peter Port. The views from the hotel are gorgeous and the staff were all excellent. But I must mention the General Manager, Robert Steen, whose local knowledge was particularly useful to us; and Gavin, who was always most helpful and quite superb in dealing with my forgotten items.

Room Tip: The Gold Rooms, which have large balconies, all have wonderful views overlooking the pool and toward...
1 Thank Millsville
Dear Millsville

Thank you so much for your lovely review, I am sorry it took so long to respond!!
I am pleased that both Gavin and I were able to assist with Local knowledge having lived here most of my likfe I know most things about the lovely island and Gavin has a stock of things to help when guests forget their own.I am pleased that you enjoyed both restaurants.
We are just about to start decorating for Christmas, we will try to complement both accordingly!
do come to see us again and we will look forward to it

Best reagrds,

Robert
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We took a 3 night break with channelislandsdirect.co.uk, visiting family living nearby. It was superb value. Having never before needed to stay in a hotel in Guernsey, I was interested to see how this would be. I have only two criticisms, the beds are too small (5') and the Table d'hote menu was the same every night with only the most minute variations. The food could do with a bit of modernisation. The hotel is beautifully positioned and our room on the first floor, though small, looked across the valley garden and out to sea, wonderful views! The staff were friendly and helpful and it was immaculately clean and well cared for. It helped that the weather was superb but in any case, it would be a hotel well worth staying in & we would certainly return.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for a sea view & do stay in the main building. The Venue is just that, a plac...
1 Thank sjhdevon
Dear SJHDevon

Thank you for your review posted after your stay in September
I note that you found the TDH manu a little limited, I am sorry about that but assure you our menu choices have now been changed around and there is more to offer our guests. Be sure to ask to stay in one of our many king size beds we do still ahve a few smaller double beds but are changing thatnks to reviews similar to yours I am pleased that you are considering staying again, I will make sure you have a big bed!
Thanks again for your comments

Robert
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We took a "4 day for the price of 3" and stayed in one of the gold rooms. The room was well appointed and on the top floor with good view from the balcony to Jersey. The only negative was the size of the bath: sitting in this there was not space to even straighten my legs !
We tried the Rock restaurant that was good value, had very nice food- but this can be noisy according to how many groups are in.
The main restaurant is calmer with similar prices and very good food.
It was alleged there was also a Brasserie, but when we asked for this we were seated in the main restaurant with their menu.
Altogether though it was a nice hotel, although sited on finals for the airfield. The staff were very friendly and helpful and I would be happy to stay there again

Room Tip: The beds were magic: one could forgive the odd quirk with that quality of sleep.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Paddy F

Thank you for your review on trip Advisor
comfy beds are a great thing here and I can safly say it is a big plus point that does outweigh the flight path!
I was pleased that you enjoyed the Rock garden and yes it can be a bit of a hive of activity whe busy althoug the main restaurant which used to be the brasserie is quieter.
do come again, we love to see guests who return time and time again,

best for now

Guernsey
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My parents bought us an overnight stay and a meal at the Rock Garden, From the moment we arrived till the moment we left everything was perfect. The staff were all very helpful and polite and we where shown to our huge room by the manager on duty. Had a bottle of champagne waiting for us in the room which was a nice touch ! The room was spotless, the bathroom nice and modern.

Our meal at the Rock Garden was really good. Had some nice cocktails at the bar whilst we chilled out before our meal. Their menu is just about the right size, not too limited, and not too over the top. We were a bit gutted that all the Sushi had all gone, and that the main Sushi menu is only available on one day, but we chose the Hot Rock menu and got to cook some of the food at our table, which was something difference for a change. I guess their Sushi chef isn't there all the time. It's quite a brave thing to do Sushi in Guernsey, but i think there is a market for it and it should be on the menu full time.

The whole experience was brilliant - we are local, so doubt we'll be staying there again any time soon, but we'll definitely be going back to the Rock Garden with friends soon. It's a great atmosphere up there. Very trendy place and nice and relaxed. They have another more formal restaurant if that's what you want. We had a really nice Breakfast the next morning in the main restaurant just before we left to go home. Would of quite happily stayed 2 nights instead of 1 !

If you are coming to Guernsey on holiday, this would be a brilliant place to stay. Just outside the hustle and bustle of the centre of St Peter Port, and located down a small peaceful lane with a lovely view.

One of Guernseys best hotels i'd say. As a local, i can highly recommend it.

Keep up the good work guys.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Fermain Valley and in the evening take a walk down the hill to Fermai...
Dear SubzeroGuernsey
A belated thank yu for your lovley comments on Trip advisor
I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed the hot rocks in the Rock garden and sorry about the Sushi it is fresh but limited!
Being Local, you should check out or fantastic Facebook Advent Calender you never know you may be our guests really soon! or come down for a lovely Sunday Roast or a cocktail again in the Rock garden, come and see us for those special occassions and keep a look out for a special deals in teh winter months!
Best regards,

Robert M Steen
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My flight to Guernsey was cancelled when I arrived at Southampton Airport as a result of bad weather. When I contacted Fermain Valley Hotel they were well within their rights to require a cancellation charge but in the circumstances they waived that charge. Excellent public relations. I will endevour to rebook there in the future.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear PaddyShephard

I read you comments on trip advisor and although we cannot always Waive the accommoadtion costs due to weather, we do always endevour to assist when passengers have had problems
I a pleased to see that on your occassion we were able to fully assist
I look forward to your staying with us again,

regards,

Hotel Bella Luce
Hotel Bella Luce
#2 of 9 in St Martins
St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort

Been to Fermain Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!