“Tennerfest menu”

Fermain Valley Hotel
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We came here for Sunday lunch with extended family to celebrate my mum's 70th. Great food, great value. Even though we came at the tail-end of a busy Sunday lunch time the service was also very good. And the barman mixes an excellent Bloody Mary. As a group, everyone loved it. One suggestion for improvement: make life easier for the parents and bring the kids' meals out first!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MichaelParaty
Management F, Manager at Fermain Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear Michael, thank you for your comment. We take all recommendations on board and aim to improve each time. Glad you enjoyed your meal and Happy Birthday to your mom. Many thanks.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Myself and a friend who was visiting ate here on friday night, being a local and never having been here before decided to try it out after hearing good things about it. We ate in the restaurant upstairs and were greeted and taken to our table straight away. The service was brilliant and we never had to ask for anything, staff were friendly and really made our night. The food was better than I was expecting for a tennerfest. Nothing to fault about this place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amanda C

Dear Amanda, thank you for your review. Glad to hear there is a word going aroud Guernsey about The Valley Restaurant. We really wanted to put the restaurant back on the map. Thank you for local support and we hope you will dine with us soon. Many thanks.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We have recently returned from a three night break here celebrating my birthday. A great success. We were on a special offer which included a cream tea (fab and fattening). The staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and efficient and attended to our every need. The room was just as described with a beautiful view down the valley to the sea. The bathroom was rather small but beautifully clean with Elemis toiletries and lovely fluffy bathrobes. Nice touches were the bowl of fruit on arrival and a decanter of sherry (which was replenished each day). It happened to be at Tennerfest time and the hotel was the only place on the island that kept to the £10 menu. Consequently it was full every evening (and also at lunch time I believe). The menu was very extensive and the standard of food excellent. You do need to be quite fit as the hotel is situated halfway down an extremely steep hill, so you have to tackle it when you want to visit the beach or St Peter Port, which is by the way about a twenty min. walk. It is downhill all the way so is easy walking. Advise you come back by bus. There is a very good bus service and you can travel all round the island for £1.

2  Thank PCandNB

Dear Pauline, Thank you for your review. Hope you didn't feel too guilty about the Cream Tea, it's a delicious treat! If you're interested in staying informed on what's happening at Fermain Valley Hotel you can sign up to receive Fermain Valley Hotel Newsletter. You can subscribe to the Newsletter via Fermain Valley Hotel website. It was our pleasure to welcome you!

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I ate at this hotel only the other week on the fabulous tennerfest menu. I can honestly say hand on heart that the soup was not watered down and my partners fish pie was not 'water with mash' added to it. He thoroughly enjoyed his meal, as did I. Yes the restaurant was heaving and I am confident that if the food was so bad as MD (a previous review) had said it was then surely the restaurant would be empty. It makes me so cross when people write such awful things that are simply not true.
The atmosphere was lifted, maybe a little hectic but buzzing. The only corridors I know of are up where the rooms are and I am confident there were no people eating up there.
Well done Fermain Valley Hotel for being so busy and remaining to serve good food for Tennerfest and literally for only a tenner...

2  Thank petalcatkins

Dear Petalcatkins, Thank you for your review, we value customer loyalty and realise how important it is to have support in our guests. 2012 Tennerfest was a great success at Fermain Valley and we are proud to say we've served over 7000 Tennerfest meals. Our chefs put special effort to prepare a good value for money yet quality Tennerfest menu and I think they did a great job as the numbers speak for themselves. Happy to hear you enjoyed your meal and hope you will dine at The Valley Restaurant again soon. Many thanks.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

In 2007 my daughter and I came across this hotel whilst walking on Guernsey. We enjoyed the most womderful lunch and I promised my self that one day i would come back and stay. Last Monday I kept that promise to myself and was sadly disappointed. The bedroom carpet in out Platinum Standard room was stained and worn. The staff seemed weary and disengaged from the whole thing. The public areas were due for a refurb too. Breakfast was a bit of a hit and miss affair, the hotel information said that breakfast started at 7.00 but when we arrived on out last morning at 7.05 the breakfast was not set up and was not ready until 7.15. Service on each morning was sluggish and the food was not of the standard we would expect for the price of this hotel. Will we stay here again? I don't think so.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Catherine P
Management F, General Manager at Fermain Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Dear Catherine, I was saddened to read that you were unhappy with your stay at The Fermain Valley Hotel. We have a great Housekeeping Team who looks after the cleanliness of all the rooms and public areas within the hotel. We have taken your comments into consideration and I am happy to let you know that we have an extensive cleaning programme scheduled for the early months of 2013. I was sorry to hear the service was not up to our standards, and breakfast was not served in time. We have dedicated staff that enjoys their work and aim to provide best customer service. I appreciate your comments they all have been taken on board. I hope you will give us another chance to prove you we are the ultimate place to stay in Guernsey. Many thanks.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

lovely hotel to visit with a spouse or girlfriend. breakfast was very good and food in general was very satisfying. we stayed few days and booked a skipper to go around the island. Would recommend this place for few days if you travel to channel islands.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Berti U

Dear Oysterlovers, Thank you for a lovely review. I'm glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay. Thanks to its idyllic location Fermain Valley is an ideal place for a romantic getaway with your loved one and we always encourage our guests to discover the breath taking cliffpaths nearby. We hope you come back to the Channel Islands again soon. Many thanks.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

we had a Tenner fest menu saturday night. If the food we were given was a sample of the food on offer at other times i would not recommend it and certainly won't be going back. The soup was so watered down it was ...like the water the leeks were cooked in, the fish pie presumably had some fish in it somewhere and there was a prawn.... yes... one prawn. It was topped with watered down mash or water with some mash added yuk, the salt pot must have fallen in the vegetables because they were so salty they could have been any vegetable as there had no other taste. I know... what do you expect for a tenner i hear you thinking...well i expected a really good meal to encourage me to return. We were not asked if we enjoyed our meal so i wasnt given the oppertunity to say anything at the time. Very disappointed as we dont go out often and i was expecting a really nice evening meal... good job the company was good as we also had to sit at a table that had been put in the corridor.. oh well.. you live and learn, so don't judge a book by its cover.

3  Thank Michelle A
Management F, General Manager at Fermain Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear MD - I am extremely sorry to hear you had a bad experience in The Valley Restaurant on Saturday. We have been extremely busy with this year's Tennerfest as it's proving to be very popular and many guests come back because of how much they enjoyed it. Regarding your comment of being seated in the corridor, our bar area has been extended to accommodate high volumes of restaurant guests and has been designed to serve food there. Please accept my sincere apologies, we value customer's feedback and I will investigate to find out what happened that day. I hope you will give The Valley Restaurant a chance and will come and visit us again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Peter Port
#2 of 9 in St Martin
La Barbarie Hotel
La Barbarie Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Martin

Been to Fermain Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!