“Excellent value for money with wonderful food and gardens”
Review of Pandora Hotel

Pandora Hotel
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We have just returned from a week at The Pandora hotel.It was our first visit to Guernsey and we feel that the hotel made it for us.The two star rating and bargain price for the evening meal gave us slight cause for concern but once there we found that the food was wonderful.The waiting staff were happy and great at their job and seemed to be on duty all day.The gardens are delightful with picturesque views and plenty of seating so that you can just sit and enjoy yourself.The hotel was extremely clean and tidy but the bathrooms could do with an update.The bar area with the balconies was lovely and there was plenty of seating in the lounges.We had lunch at the hotel sometimes and it was plentiful and very reasonable.The situation of the hotel is good as it is not too high up and in a quieter area than some of those in the town.

Room Tip: We were in room 112 which is on the ground floor on the street side so the dustmen sometimes woke my...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank taylorgirl196

Reviewed April 30, 2012

booked a package deal with car/ferry/hotel. Knew we had chosen the cheaper option hotel (2 star) as we were on a tight budget. Very enjoyable stay, immaculately clean hotel and room, pleasant staff, nice variety of lounge areas/outside balconies/bar to use at any time of day.
Free wifi throughout public areas. Very good breakfast with plenty of choice, though did find it slightly old fashioned to be seated at the same table daily for breakfast - one day there were 20 French students having breakfast adjoining us and the rest of the sizeable dining room was practically empty. Just us and them all up the one end. Would have been nicer to just be able to sit anywhere laid up for '2' persons, but its a minor gripe. Fought over the quilt the first night as it was a standard double bed/quilt and at home i have a King, but this was sorted immediately when i mentioned it to the receptionist and a king size quilt was provided for the rest of the stay.
If you are looking for a good value base i can recommend this place. nice relaxed atmosphere. I would certainly stay here again if in Geurnsey.

Room Tip: if you have a standard double quilt on your bed, immediately ask for a King size - they have got th...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sian l
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We stayed for four nights, and changed rooms because of the poor arrangement of washing in the main room and not in the bathroom. The second room had no shower so we think that every room has a rather large minus and you have to make a choice of what you have to compromise with. Very tired and dated needing refurbishment which is way overdue.
The breakfast is low quality and basic with the least amount on offer that they can get away with in our opinion. Foreign staff who don't understand English taking the order meant that we had three tries to get what we wanted which was unpleasant and turned into a farce.
Very low quality food and not much of it.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank patricia1945
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I stayed at the Pandora between 28th March and the 1st April 2012.
This was my second stay, the first being last year in April.
The Hotel is clean and tidy, with a quiet location situated up hill (quite steep) in Hautville
St Peter Port, a few doors away from Victor Hugo's House.
A five minute downhill walk will bring you to St Peter Port itself.

The Hotel is a conversion of two large Villa's into the one hotel, some of the period features are retained and enhance the Hotel.
There is a very large through lounge, with plenty of seating, if somewhat old fashioned but in keeping with the hotel.
There is also another smaller lounge.
Wifi is provided free, ask for the code at reception.
The Bar area has a dining area and overlooks the gardens.
The staff are helpful and very friendly.

The Breakfast is good and there is a good choice, the restaurant looks out onto the lovely terraced gardens.
This year I also tried the "Bar Meals" and found the one that I had (the steak) very nice,and reasonably priced.
There is also a the Sunflower Restaurant for evening meals which offers a menu for around £18, but I do believe if you book the evening meal at the same time as the accommodation it is considerably cheaper.

The room itself was a double, overlooking the bay and I had a lovely view of Castle Cornet to wake up to.
More than adequate storage, and the decor and furnishings were good.
It had a Flat Screen TV with remote, and the usual array of Tea/Coffee making equipment.
The room was cleaned and tidied daily, even if the "do not disturb sign" was out!

If there was one quibble it was the size of the Towels.
I would expect at least one Bath Sheet to be provided.

All in all the Pandora provides good clean accommodation at a reasonable price, in a nice quiet area, but if you have mobility difficulties, it may not be for you.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms over the Sunflower Restaurant, as it can be noisy. Rooms at the back of the hotel overl...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank essexgran2016
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I stayed at The Pandora Hotel as part of a package holiday and I knew it had only a two star rating but I was still disappointed. It was clean and most of the staff were helpful. It is in a very good position for the bus station, town and harbour and the garden is wonderful with great views.
The breakfast was adequate but I did see three people moved on separate occasions with their toast and coffee because they had sat at the wrong table. We waited twenty five minutes one night for our soup but generally the food was delicious.
The wifi wasn't always available especially in the afternoon. However, my main complaint was about our room. We were in room 1 and the noise from the floor boards above was very loud. When the occupant moved about day or night we heard. Also, the table tennis table is just outside and naturally that can be distracting. Worst of all are the balconies which look down into the room which means the blinds can't be pulled up. If you do visit you should bear this in mind.

Room Tip: Room 1 should be avoided!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank xxreisexx
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I stayed at the Pandora as part of a Premier Holiday's package deal. I was aware that it was rated as 2 star at the time of booking but when I first walked in to the foyer of the hotel and then my single room, I wondered if I had made a mistake. The decor in parts of the hotel is dated and the facilities in the room very basic. However, having stayed there for 6 nights I would certainly recommend this hotel. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Nothing seemed too much trouble for them and this was a key factor in making my stay there enjoyable. There isn't a lift but the staff are only too willing to help you with your luggage. The facilities in the room are what one would expect for 2 star rating but importantly the shower was excellent, there was always plenty of hot water, the hospitality tray was always well stocked, additional blankets were provided on request and the quality of the TV reception was good. I would have preferred a larger sized duvet as a single one is really not big enough for an adult. The breakfast menu was varied and didn't just offer the standard fried breakfast. It was served by attentive staff and was cooked well and the portion size adequate. I did eat in the restaurant for one of my evening meals and found it to be appetising but not anything particularly special. My room was directly above the main entrance and on occasions had a disturbed sleep. The hotel is ideally situated for access to St Peter's Port and because I was able to leave the car parked at the hotel I did not have any parking problems to contend with. The steep climb back from town to the hotel was challenging but a very good way to walk off the excesses of the holiday. Overall, I think that this hotel offers very good value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel overlook the garden and may be quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Boaj
Reviewed October 29, 2011

We spent a week at this homely hotel. We were very impressed with the way they provided for a gluten free diet. Tthey provided GF bread rolls and cereals and sauces and gravies were gluten free. the staff were very friendly, helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We had to leave before breakfast on our last day to catch a flight and the hotel provided a breakfast tray in our room; including GF bread and cereals. The hotel is convenient for the town, the bus terminus and a real ale pub - the Cock and Bull. Overall it is a good value 2 star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple