“Dissapointing visit”

Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Dissapointing visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Situated in a convenient area in St Peter Port, this hotel could be a gem, sadly that was not the case.
My room was clean also the linen, however the hotel is very tired and dismal, not helped on the first morning when there was a failure in the electricity supply, so breakfast was limited.

There are no staff on site usually after 19.00 and no visible contact Nos. Telephones in rooms only appear to conmect too taxi companies.The female sfatt there were pleasant and helpful.
Sadly they only had 1 hairdryer available for the entire hotel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Canberra
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have hesitated to write about the Dunchoille as there were both positives and negatives. On the plus side, we were warmly welcomed and assisted with our baggage. Staff also suggested a Chinese restaurant which would deliver a takeaway meal, and let us use the dining room to eat it.
My bedroom was clean and the bed comfortable.

On the negative side, much more attention needs to be given to maintenance and overall quality control. The toilet could not be flushed on the day I arrived (Sunday) and when I found someone to report it to (not easy) all that was done was to put a piece of wire somewhere in a vain attempt to fix it.. When I reported a fuller list of faults on Monday, including the non-flushing toilet, towel rail off wall, light globes not working, I was told it was the fault of previous occupants for not reporting. Surely the cleaner would have noticed these faults; if she did not try to flush the toilet as part of thorough cleaning between guests then there is a problem. All these faults were fixed on the Monday, which I appreciated.

The breakfasts appeared acceptable, though not offering the full range of food mentioned on this site, e.g. omelets are now not available. However, it is notable that all three of us were unwell for a day during our trip. I mention this because of the quite shocking discovery of a piece of wire in a friend's scrambled eggs. He reported it to the waitress, asked her to inform the cook, but he never received an apology or explanation from management as to how such a thing could happen. We did wonder whether the kitchen was spotless.
It was often hard to find staff to assist with problems such as non-functioning equipment. We met another guest whose key to the front door would not work when she returned at 8 pm. There was no way for her to find a staff member; she ended up having to bang on various windows till a startled fellow-guest in his dressing-gown was alerted and came down to assist.

Be aware, if you do not have a vehicle, that if for some reason there are no buses due to a widespread diversion such as occurred when we were there, it can be a long walk anywhere if you have any kind of disability. This should not be a problem for most people, but I had a recent foot injury and we ended up having to get more taxis than we had planned.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank operagoerCanberra
Dunchoille, Manager at Dunchoille, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
With regards to the points raised, this person arrived on a Sunday, due to local laws very few shops are open and no hardware vendors are open. The room had been occupied prior to arrival and the toilet had been working. A member of staff put the wire in to attempt to let the toilet flush until items could be purchased the next day.

We are surprised that wire could be found, as all eggs are cooked fresh to order as are the breakfast every morning. The person involved should have also informed reception that morning so that the matter could have been investigated, as it is far too late now. The kitchen surfaces are cleaned after every service with anti-bacterial spray, as well as floors and other surfaces cleaned and all equipment and dishes are sent through the ware-washer.

All guest are informed to take their keys with them as the doors are locked in the evening, and all keys issued are current security keys, the guest did not inform reception the next morning when the key could have been checked, and it must have worked for the rest of their stay as the matter was not raised.

Unfortunately we do not have control of road works or bus timetables, and while it is appreciated that this person had just had an injury, for most able bodied persons the walk is any easy amble to town.

Travelers are raving about these St Peter Port hotels

Wigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Just returned home today from 3 nights stay at the Dunchoille in a single room. I was over visiting relatives in st peter port and the hotel was in excellent location easy walking distance of the centre. Whist over in guernsey i became ill with a bug and i found the staff very helpful and cudnt do enough for me. which i would like to say a very big thank you to all the staff and owners. very friendly place and i would love to go back and stay there again. not bad prices either as i priced a few hotels in guernsey which charged alot more. lovely decorated bar area very cosy and modern.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ameriehughes
glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

My colleague and I stayed here for one night as we were in Guernsey on business.
I don't agree with the previous comment about the staff as the girl who checked us in (Agnes) was very pleasant and helpful. She also spent a while the following morning on the phone trying to get us a taxi. (We'll know for next time -if you need a taxi book in advance.)
My room overlooked the garden, was clean and had everything I needed including a tea tray and full length mirror which some hotels don't supply. I had to ask for a hairdryer, but it was no problem. My colleague's room was a lot smaller than mine though.
I would probably describe this hotel as more of a guest house, as the rooms did feel more like being in a house than a hotel, but for the price we paid (£98 for two of us for one night) compared to the price of the upmarket hotels at £100 each per night I think it was good value for money.
It was also nice to be able to sit in the garden and have a drink before walking (a leisurley 15 minute walk) into town for something to eat.
Overall I would say it was a good, budget hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank glasgowgirl69
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

I spent one night here on business and I am glad it was not for longer. On arrival the receptionist was unpleasant, said that we had to pay on arrival which made me slightly suspicious and then walked me to my room. She unlocked the door for me but then walked off, perhaps knowing that my reaction would not have been positive had she shown me in to the room.

My room was an acceptable size but was full of mis-match furniture that was all very far past its best. It was cluttered, dirty and mostly damaged. Whilst my bed appeared clean, the bathroom did not. The shower was full on the previous guests hair, the sink was grubby and the floor hadn't been cleaned. There was a hole in the wall next to the air vent that would have made the room very cold had it not been solved by the heating on full blast. The bed wasn't very comfortable but then I am not the type of person that can sleep anywhere - just as I was about to sleep the person in the room next door must have been having a shower as I could hear it loud and clear.

Overall, although I felt relatively safe and secure, managed to have an acceptable nights sleep and was not ill from the breakfast, However, I feel that I should be able to expect to be comfortable for the stay, enjoy the experience and want to return. I will not return to this hotel and I certainly wont be recommending it! Good luck.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank BStone1989
Dunchoille, Owner at Dunchoille, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
We totally refute the allegations made here. Clearly the lady in question did not like the hotel before she arrived.

The young lady on reception was pleasant and the manager was present at the time of check in. The company's policy is payment before arrival.

The room is in excellent condition and has been used throughtout the season by many guests without any complaints.

The lady only had a cup of coffee for breakfast, so she could not be ill through the breakfast which is cooked to order, and if she had had a cooked breakfast she would have appreciated how cood it is.

If she was truly unhappy with her room, why did she not bring this up with reception during her stay???

Clearly the room must have been acceptable to her, otherwise she would have check out.
chesterfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

We have recently returned to this hotel as we had a fabulous holiday here previously, which has now been tastefully refurbished. The hotel accomodation was as good as ever, together with the upgraded en suite bedrooms it made it a pleasure to stay there again. The breakfast was excellent particularly the chilli omelette which was recommended to me by a member of staff and was delicious. Also on Sundays I recommend you ask for Mark's special pancakes. All the staff were exceptionally friendly towards us as a returning guests and the Island was as beautiful as ever. We will definately be returing again next year.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank gemgemchesterfield
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

Spent 3 nights here and it was a ok budget hotel. Staff were friendly and professional. Large, clean inground pool outside and nice garden area. Breakfast was good, nothing great but good way to start the day. Room was a bit dated but good to sleep in. Only complaint was it was a bit warm and we booked 2 rooms but were given 1 with 3 beds as they were overbooked. One complaint was it seemed there were lots of long term guests there (construction workers, etc) and they were always at the bar at night being rude and noisey. We didn't want to sit inside due to this so we sat outdoors. They came out and urinated all over the patio/gardens numerous times. Wouldnt stay here again but ok for 3 nights. Only other complaint is 20 min walk out of town or 6 pound cab ride.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Luke M
Dunchoille, Owner at Dunchoille, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
These guest had originally booked a triple room for their stay, but were given a special rate.

We do not have "lots" of long term guest, and the few we have are not in the construction industry. We do have some short term construction workers stay with us, although they may be slightly noisy are not rude.

With regards to the urinating, if true, why was this not raised with receiption there and then, or at the latest the next morning?? But on questioning the residents that were present during this stay they denied doing this, and we would point out that there are toilets by the pool, in reception and in their rooms, so they had no need to do this.

The cost of taxis is out of our control, also there is a bus route that runs hourly from town past the hotel until 20:55 and this costs only £1.00.