“Great Hotel”

Duke of Normandie Hotel
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed June 9, 2009

The Duke of Normandie Hotel is located right in the city centre of St. Peter Port, the capital of Guernsey. It is a very nice and cozy hotel with a big car park in the front which is very helpful if you travel by car. The executive rooms provide all the luxury you need if you want to spoil yourself e.g. stylish bathtub in the middle of the room. In addition to that, the main shopping street of St. Peter Port (High Street) is just a few steps away by foot and the haorbour and ferry station are also very close. The hotel includes a pub, which is also very popular with the locals -not only because of a great choice of food - , as well as a restaurant which provides a good english and continental breakfast and a set menu in the evenings with luxurious dishes. The international staff is also always very friendly and helpful.
I can recommend it to everybody - it is a great place to stay!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank adavroni
There are newer reviews for Duke of Normandie Hotel

Reviewed April 30, 2009

The bedroom was filthy, the staff did nothing to affect a positive result, the supervisor in charge on first complaint did not even bring the problems to the attention of the hotel manager. The bathroom was not cleaned and in the end, I went to reception, requested cleaning materials and cleaned it myself. This is the first hotel that I have stayed in, in Guernsey that has produced this response, if this was my first trip I would not return to the Island again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank 100ck9
Reviewed April 24, 2009

I love Guernsey, and have tried to visit many times for pleasure but alas, I'm a slave to my work and always end up on business. I found this hotel a few months ago and fell in love straight away. I've heard mixed ideas from other sources but regardless, all agree that the staff help.

Even the managers have gone out of their way to help me on multiple occasions. Any idea I might have, they listen to. Even if it is something small, they look into it. On days when I've been irritated by work, they always do whatever they can to cheer me up.

All in all I say it's a great plce to go to just to get a small place that could be called a home away from home.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Sungam180
Reviewed April 18, 2009

I've got to say this last weekend is one I enjoyed immensely. My friends and I booked a few rooms for a small reunion. Of course I was in charge of arranging it all. Even at the time of booking I found all helpful. The receptionist who took my call couldn't have been more charming. She answered all of my questions, even some that I didn't know I wanted to ask. She was the same at arrival, extremely helpful to the point that she seemed worried every second we weren't smiling.

Being right in the center of town made it a great help. Granted it would have been a bit difficult to get to had we had our own car, but I can't blame the hotel for the islands infrastructure, On foot however was great, the main shopping street is literally right around the corner, as is the central bus terminal. plenty of pubs and restaurants nearby as well. But I wouldnt see the need to go anywhere else as the food in both the hotels bar and restaurant was heavanly.

As we were a group friends the hotel offered aus a private room for our meals and we were looked after by the restaurant and bar staff. I must admit its not often that I see the staff of a place work so well together, but also being very friendly and helpful. We almost felt like a part of the family and were sad to say goodbye to all of them.

As for the rooms some of us stayed in the executive rooms and some of us in the standard rooms out in the courtyard. I can't speak for my friends but I loved my executive room. It did cost a bit more than I expected but in the end was worth it. Quality does come with a price afterall.

I can say ultimately that the Duke of Normandie is great hotel, nicely placed. If I had to say there was a downside it might be not the best place for anyone with a car who doesn't know Geurnsey. Rather stay on foot and stick with the public busses.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Sperznik
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We stayed in this hotel several times. Very good location in centre of town, with free parking. Staff is very friendly. Good breakfast. Excellent, luxery, clean room with a nice view over town and the harbour. Confortable beds. Hotel has a tastefull modern interior. We enjoyed our stay here and would definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank boboDeventer
Reviewed April 2, 2009

Me and Sue got married few moths ago and wanted to go for a short break to Guernsey where we met during buisness trip. Friend of ours recomended The Duke and the best deal in a long time (seven nights stay and half board for free - food was fantastic!).
Without a doubt will be back next year.
The hotel was perfect from the time we booked the reservation to the time we checked out. We had a very nice and comfortable room (very clean, modern deco with minibar and fancy bath)The staff was trully friendly and helpful. They knew how to get us to destinations we wanted to see and knew a lot about the area. Marianna in the restaurant remembered us each day and knew what our food preferences were. We would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank adamandsue
Reviewed March 12, 2009

I stayed in the hotel in an executive room for two weeks. The room was nice but very small with no views at all....The food was good and the Admiral is a good bar and gets quite busy at the weekend.

My minibar wasn't restocked once during my trip and my laundry came back unironed.

Overall the hotal is nice and would recommend but could be great if they just worked a little harder on the small things

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business