“A great weekend”

Duke of Normandie Hotel
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed April 18, 2009

I've got to say this last weekend is one I enjoyed immensely. My friends and I booked a few rooms for a small reunion. Of course I was in charge of arranging it all. Even at the time of booking I found all helpful. The receptionist who took my call couldn't have been more charming. She answered all of my questions, even some that I didn't know I wanted to ask. She was the same at arrival, extremely helpful to the point that she seemed worried every second we weren't smiling.

Being right in the center of town made it a great help. Granted it would have been a bit difficult to get to had we had our own car, but I can't blame the hotel for the islands infrastructure, On foot however was great, the main shopping street is literally right around the corner, as is the central bus terminal. plenty of pubs and restaurants nearby as well. But I wouldnt see the need to go anywhere else as the food in both the hotels bar and restaurant was heavanly.

As we were a group friends the hotel offered aus a private room for our meals and we were looked after by the restaurant and bar staff. I must admit its not often that I see the staff of a place work so well together, but also being very friendly and helpful. We almost felt like a part of the family and were sad to say goodbye to all of them.

As for the rooms some of us stayed in the executive rooms and some of us in the standard rooms out in the courtyard. I can't speak for my friends but I loved my executive room. It did cost a bit more than I expected but in the end was worth it. Quality does come with a price afterall.

I can say ultimately that the Duke of Normandie is great hotel, nicely placed. If I had to say there was a downside it might be not the best place for anyone with a car who doesn't know Geurnsey. Rather stay on foot and stick with the public busses.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Sperznik

Reviewed April 14, 2009

We stayed in this hotel several times. Very good location in centre of town, with free parking. Staff is very friendly. Good breakfast. Excellent, luxery, clean room with a nice view over town and the harbour. Confortable beds. Hotel has a tastefull modern interior. We enjoyed our stay here and would definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank boboDeventer
Reviewed April 2, 2009

Me and Sue got married few moths ago and wanted to go for a short break to Guernsey where we met during buisness trip. Friend of ours recomended The Duke and the best deal in a long time (seven nights stay and half board for free - food was fantastic!).
Without a doubt will be back next year.
The hotel was perfect from the time we booked the reservation to the time we checked out. We had a very nice and comfortable room (very clean, modern deco with minibar and fancy bath)The staff was trully friendly and helpful. They knew how to get us to destinations we wanted to see and knew a lot about the area. Marianna in the restaurant remembered us each day and knew what our food preferences were. We would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank adamandsue
Reviewed March 12, 2009

I stayed in the hotel in an executive room for two weeks. The room was nice but very small with no views at all....The food was good and the Admiral is a good bar and gets quite busy at the weekend.

My minibar wasn't restocked once during my trip and my laundry came back unironed.

Overall the hotal is nice and would recommend but could be great if they just worked a little harder on the small things

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 17, 2009

Had originaly booked a standard room but rang the day before to upgrade to an executive room as a treat. Arrived early and spent a few hours walking around St Peter Port until our room was ready. To say we were disappointed with our room would be an understatement. We were allocated room number 24 which was situated right above the public bar door which gave an almighty crash everytime someone went through it. The room itself should hve been advertised as an executive single (not double) as there wasnt enough room for 2 people. The bed was right next to the door and took up most of the floor space. The ensuite was so small you could have just swung a mouse in there (never mind a cat!). No bath, just a small, fixed head shower which made it virtually impossible to shampoo your hair or wash properly and the water was just warm enough. Tiny sink and very small toilet. The advertised DVD player was nowhere to be seen. The window blinds took us almost 30 mins to shut (which we had to as the room overlooked the neighbouring Builders yard and one of the workers was having his break, leaning on the wall and looking right at us!). We went down to Reception to enquire if another room was available but there was none (apart from a standard room in the courtyard which smelt damp and looked old fashioned with drawer fronts hanging off so we stayed with room 24). We were also asked if we wanted a complimentary newspaper, which we did, but never arrived (neighbouring rooms did get theirs, saw them right outside the room doors). Food was good and the staff were friendly. Special mention should go to Veronika who worked in the Restaurant (she`s wasted in there and should be on Reception greeting people).

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Curlywurly3669
Reviewed February 14, 2009

I've stayed here once before and have found the staff fine and the full English breakfast very good. I have 2 issues with the rooms. First issue is the rooms are very very small, my room was only twice the width of a single bed and the bathroom roof was slanted so I could not stand upright (I'm only 6 foot) and have no views (except of the car park). It was so small there was literally nowhere to put things, the "work desk" was narrower than my laptop. The second and more serious issue is the rooms are not being cleaned or maintained well. There were hairs from a previous guest on the bed, floor and in the bathroom, the toilet has not been cleaned from the previous guest (disgusting), there was one bar of soap provided to share between shower and sink and the towel heather has been broken and clearly the hotel was in no rush to fix it.

Shame as they have (sometimes working) fast WiFi and the location is great. I "might" stay there again, but only if I can't find something else at a reasonable price on the island.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Bus_Travel_Global
Reviewed January 15, 2009

We stayed there for 5 days on a Christmas break and absolutly loved it. It's a small hotel in the middle of town, yet calm and quiet. We were on a full board basis and enjoyed the service and the food alike, every day.
The room we were given was stunning. Large and bright with a state-of-the-art equipement. Minibar, flat screen TV with DVD player; bathrobes, everything to make yourself feel even better than at home! The staff and management were our favourites and we would go back there, just for them. they kept us entertained with different musicians playing every night.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank grannyemma