“Quaint”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Toronto, Canada
“Quaint”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

My daughter and I flew in to Guernsey on the smallest airplane ever from Brittany. We stayed at the a Duke of Normandy. We arrived on a Sunday...not a good idea as everything is closed. At the hotel bar we got to have a nice dinner served by our bartender...not sure that he did not cook our meal too. The next morning we missed our breakfast time but they very kindly served us coffee, tea, toast and jams.
The bedroom and bathroom were comfortable, clean and just what we needed.
The only thing that I could say that might be a problem...is the spiral stairs to the bedrooms.
The staff was absolutely charming, helpful and kind...if you are looking for a hotel in Guernsey, the Duke of Normandy would be perfect.

Room Tip: All rooms face the courtyard, and think they are all the same. We enjoyed the comfort of our room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2014

right in the centre of town - 5 mins walk to port and less than 1 min to high street !
great location
the hotel was lovely - large rooms king sized beds and very clean
can not fault it for the 89 per night price
even car park spaces for the car hire which seems to be unique in this town
overall great stay and well worth the money

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I read previous reviews and deceided to stay whilst on business in Guernsey.
I had a room on the top floor and with no lift the only way up was a narrow staircase which was having the handrail painted. Very difficult with luggage.
The room was of a decent size with DVD player and TFT LCD TV.
The bed was reasonable if a little firm.
The bathroom and had a bath with shower attachment.
A friend joined me for a drink and a bar snack. We had the "specials", mine was a pork chop with mashed potatoes, a small ammount of peas and six brussel sprouts. Not really good value for the £9.00 charged.
The breakfast table felt sticky, the full English breakfast had a sausage that was cold in the middle.
The staff were helpful other than when I checked in with my walking cane (Osteoarthritis of the knee) no one offered to help me with my luggage even though they must have known my room was on the top floor. Checking out the same but the painter did offer assistance by carrying my case down the stairs.
Overall not impressed and will not stay again.

Room Tip: Do not get a room at the top, No lift and only narrow stairs which are a trouble if you have any lug...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Rick_Goold
West Bromwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

We went for a short break for valentines/bday and had a nightmare flight that couldn't land so we we're worried about losing a night in St. Peter port, when we arrived the staff couldn't have been more helpful by shuffling our reservation along a day. The executive room was of a high standard and suited us down to the ground, quiet, and a great nights sleep. We would definitely stay again. Here's to the next time!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank monsta45
Boldre, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

An excellent and totally unexpected hotel situated just a minutes walk away from the High Street in St. Peter Port. The check in process was simple, all had been done before we had arrived. Managed to check in early due to the room being turned round quickly. The room itself was large, comfortable and very well equipped. Bathroom was a little on the small side but the shower was very powerful! One downside is the thickness of the walls, conversations travel easily through the wall but it didn't go on late. Nightlife at the weekend is a little boisterous but doesn't make it up the road to the hotel. The parking right outside the door was also very useful. The bed was one of the comfortable I have ever found in a hotel, crisp sheets and good pillows. Breakfast in the morning was of very good quality, plenty of juices, teas, coffees and a good cooked meal.

All in all a very pleasant stay and will highly recommend the Normandie for people wanting a central hotel at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I stayed here recently for 4 nights whilst on business in Guernsey. I was allocated a 'cosy' room in the main building.

The check in was efficient and my room although describes as cosy was a good size. The room is well decorated and had almost everything that I would need for a comfortable stay. However, there are a few little issues where the room I stayed in showed signs of needing a but if TLC. The plug in the sink was quite rusty and the mattress in the bad was quite sunken on one side where people clearly preferred that side to the other. The room I had was quiet and I dint hear anyone from other rooms although it can get noisy outside.

The room had a full size flat screen TV, safe and mini bar etc. however I use an electric razor and there wasn't a shaver point nor was there an adaptor plug. I asked at reception who confirmed this to be the case. The staff on reception though were very helpful and went to their accommodation and kent me an adaptor that they had so I didn't have to grow a beard!

Most of the staff are friendly although one or two could be a bit distant and that way appeared uninterested in helping.

The breakfast was very good. The ingredients were clearly fresh and of a very high quality which made the breakfast very enjoyable.

The location is great and it's within walking distance of everywhere I needed to be in St Peter Port.

Overall a good hotel but I'd be interested to see how it would be in another year or so.

Room Tip: Room 30 is a good room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank 68AR
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2013

The executive bedroom was a good size with a king size bed & had everything you needed ,good size bathroom only thing I would say is the walls very thin so could hear next door put his kettle on in the morning ,breakfast was very good with good service . Great location but a bit tricky to find in the dark but would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
La Barbarie Hotel
La Barbarie Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Martins
St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort

Been to Duke of Normandie Hotel? Share your experiences!