“Far too expensive for what it is!”

Red Grill House and Cocktail Bar
Ranked #12 of 137 Restaurants in St Peter Port
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Visited here for the first time with a group of friends. It's a strange little restaurant really. Very few tables as it appears to be mainly a bar. Impressions are that it's trying very hard to be 'too cool for school'!

The food was very good but it was the cost of it that was astounding. I calculated the bill at the end of the night to split the amount amongst the group. When I said the cost was £70 all of my friends thought I met £70 per couple & couldn't believe it when I said it was £70 per person. I'm happy to pay this in a restaurant & often pay far in excess of this in what I would call 'special' restaurants. However, I wouldn't say this experience commanded a price bracket anything like that.

The chef used to have a Michelin star at a different restaurant in Guernsey. It appears he needs to realise be hasn't got a Michelin star at the moment so shouldn't be charging as if he does. I won't eat here again. The cocktail bar upstairs is buzzing with a nice atmosphere though!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Came with the family after having a business meeting here.
As soon as you walk through the door you are greeted by the manager who greets you and seats you and your coats are taken so we immediately felt at home. I had heard that our island's best chef had moved to RED but for some reason hadn't found an excuse to go previously because of travel and holidays.
I don't know what else to say except that we had an amazing night. Its not just a steak house, the menu is incredibly well-rounded, though the steak, along with the service, is by far the star of the show! The sharing platter to start is not overbearing and wets your pallet just enough to be ready for a great main (steak steak steak!). The rib on the bone is incredible and the porterhouse steak was incredible, especially as between three us we all wanted it cooked differently which the chef was incredibly able to do! The manager, who I later found out is a new addition to Guernsey, explained perfectly and recommended the perfect amount of steak for five people and a perfect accompaniment from the extensive wine list and was on hand too all night. All the staff are very attentive and on hand, filling our wine glasses at just the right time and prepapring our tables for the laying of food without fuss. The atmosphere is what a steak house should be, a roomful of people thoroughly enjoying themselves and downing beautiful wines is never going to be quiet now is it, but it creates almost the perfect environment to eat a great steak in. At some points we were having to speak very loudly however.
The little things stood out at RED. The speed with which we were given our menus, the complimentary bottles of water, being able to taste a wine before we purchase it, the beautiful steak knives (I did think about swiping a couple before I was told off bu my better half!) and the impressive centre stage wine table as well as the absolute quality of the dishes themselves makes this, to me, the best restaurant on the island and it will take a long time to convince me otherwise. The chef is by far and away the best on the island (don't think anyone would disagree) and it shows throughout in the quality of food. The service is impeccable, not something we have enough of here and if I had one thing to gripe about, it might be that when I called to book again, they were booked almost two to three weeks in advance on a friday and saturday. Thank you all at RED for a great night out.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Red Grill House serves, in my opinion, not only the best steaks in Guernsey but the best I've ever tasted.
The wine list is extensive, from the reasonable to less reasonable (but I'm sure delicious), and the cocktail bar upstairs serves excellent drinks with an amazing view across the harbour.
I'd certainly recommend it - and I'd also recommend ordering a quantity of meat to share off the specials board - delicious!
The service is attentive but not intrusive, and my partner and I appreciated being found a seat when turning up on spec on a busy Saturday night.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

One has to go far on that planet to find a restaurant like the Red in SPP. The food, especially the beef fillet and the burgers are excellent and the meat of an outstanding quality. Dave's knowledge about wine is amazing so you always get the perfect bottle on your table. All the staff is very friendly and attentive and make sure that you have a good time. The cocktails served in the cocktail bar are great, you can get almost every drink you can imagine and if your imagination has come to an end then the bar staff around Alex will come up with another tasty suggestion.

1  Thank Vayacongroove
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Got stuck in the UK due to snow storm so was relieved to finally get home. As ever had a wonderful meal at Red. Wine knowledge of owner simply amazing and always gets it just right with my steak, recommending exactly what goes with my meal and more importantly my mood.
Service great. New manager brings air of confidence to the floor and knowledge of menu was great, as well, waitress seemed more attentive than ever before. Cannot speak highly enough of Red. For me, there is nowhere else to eat on the Island. Big Red has got it right all round, AGAIN.