“Best western at its best!”

Best Western Hotel De Havelet
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Normally we stay at Best Western Moores or La Fregate whilst in Guernsey, however on this occasion we couldn't resist the Havelet for a great price + a different experience of Guernsey. The price is unbeatable & the facilities & atmosphere would make me chose this as my hotel of preference next time. We stayed in room 26 & loved the spaciousness, the quietness and the room accessories within. Great coffee /chocolate complements. Other attractions include the complementary pool / fitness / spa facilities which made a very pleasurable start to the weekend. We opted not to book the 'dining stay' as unsure how good the Grill Room would be. I was mistaken in my preconception asthe Grill Room was truly a delight & we would return without question next time. We didn't go for the tennerfest (albeit great value) instead the chef's were happy to combine King Prawns with a vibrant salad. Fresh and not too heavy for late night meal after flying in. It was so delicious we returned again on Saturday evening for dinner and although it was very busy & service stretched a little, the kitchen still delivered great food. It was worth waiting that little bit longer. The only observation would be the general clientele were of the more mature end so we felt a little young being less aged.....also, not for the less mobile due to the hill if accessing the hotel on foot. Be aware also to settle bill night before departure if leaving on early morning flight. Staff friendly would return & recommend.

Room Tip: Room 26 second floor, quiet & undisturbed from other hotel guest noise
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure to read you had a most enjoyable break. I am also pleased to know that the size and the quietness of your Bedroom made it a very comfortable experience for both of you and you truly enjoyed the facilities that our Health Suite offers. I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed so much the food and the service provide in our Grill Room restaurant.

I have passed on your kind comments to the team, and would like thank you once again for your wonderful review and recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We spent our 30th wedding anniversary here and the staff could not have been more courteous or helpful - a gift was awaiting us in the room. The room/ensuite was comfortable, clean with all amenities, except there was no safe in the room.
We enjoyed walking into St Peter Port and then using the swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna - a very relaxing time. We ate in the restaurant and the food was lovely and again the staff were friendly. Breakfast was just as good with a huge choice on offer. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your great comments and thank you especially for taking the time to post them on TripAdvisor after your recent stay! I am pleased that you have a memorable holiday with us and you really enjoyed your wedding anniversary.
I am glad that you found the bedrooms ideal and you truly enjoyed the facilities that our Health Suite offers. Thank you for mentioning the staff as friendly. I will pass your kind words on to them and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet in the future.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have to stop over in Guernsey on business from time to time and I always stay at this hotel. I am welcomed back like an old friend. All the staff without exception are courteous helpful and very friendly. The hotel is ideally located a short walk from St Peter Port town centre up a hill with beautiful views over the harbour, Herm, Jetou, Sark and the French Coast on a clear day. The rooms a spotlessly clean, the beds very comfortable and there is a plentiful supply of tea, coffee, chocolate mints and biscuits in the room. Breakfast is varied and plentiful with help yourself to cereals, cold meats, patisserie and a cooked to order option as well. There is also a cosy pub style bar with a good bar menu as well. There is a small spa with a swimming pool, steam room, sauna and Jacuzzi. Great for relaxing after a hard days work. I always enjoy my stay here and look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are more traditional in decor and character. Rooms in the newer extension at...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

What a pleasure to read your great feedback following your most recent stay with us. I am very pleased that BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet has exceeded your expectations in so many ways and it is always a pleasure to welcome back returning guests. Please rest assured that there will always be a place for you here and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed at this Hotel for 3 nights on a Bed and Breakfast basis. The accommodation was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. Breakfasts were very good and we ate on one occasion at the Havelet Grill which was excellent.
The staff were welcoming and helpful; this is the 3rd time we have stayed in this hotel and it never fails to impress. The pool and Jacuzzi are a godsend after walking up and down the St Peter's Port hills.
I would recommend this hotel for a short relaxing break. It ticks all the boxes and in my opinion it mystifies me why it hasn t attained 4 star status.

Go and treat yourselves. You won t regret it.

Room Tip: Choose one of the superior rooms overlooking the bay on 1st floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that the hotel and its facilities are such a joy for you and ticked all the boxes during your most recent stay here at BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet. I am also delighted to read that the team made your stay comfortable, it will be my pleasure to share your feedback with them.

I would like to thank you once again for sharing your experience with other travellers from around the world and we all look forward to seeing you again in the hopefully not too distant future.

Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Loved the food as always,excellent serving staff in the Wellington Boot restaurant who are eager to please. Quiet and peaceful surroundings and within walking distance of St Peter Port.Make use of the quiet swimming pool if you have the time and upgrade to the lovely superior rooms!

• Stayed: October 2013
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet. I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us once again. I have passed on your kind comments to the team, especially to the ones in the Wellington Boot Restaurant and we look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet hopefully in the near future.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

What an excellent holiday we had! Booked a superior room for a treat, décor was befitting an old manor house, the older part of which we were in. Lovely old furniture and huge comfortable bed. Bathroom had super soft towels and plenty of toiletries. A huge box of tea and coffee, biscuits and chocolate mints. We had a glimpse of the sea through the trees, looking out on to the sunny sheltered terrace. We knew about this hotel and it has a good reputation locally. We also eat in the sister hotel "Moore's" in the library bar on other trips to the island so we appreciate the standard maintained by the Best Western chain. A separate building connected by a tunnel for use in bad weather contains the bar and restaurants. There is a less formal grill and upstairs is a restaurant where breakfast is taken. The first night the grill was closed so we sampled the bar menu. This was the only disappointment as a portion of crab cakes with salad was a little meagre. After walking to "Moore's" for the second night's dinner (excellent) we couldn't be bothered to go out again so tried the grill menu and this time were certainly not disappointed. The steaks are to die for and the scallops with prawns heavenly! Wine and bar drinks are surprisingly reasonably priced, which of course encourages guests to use the in house facilities. Breakfast is amazing, a buffet with fruit, cold meats, cheese, patisserie and a cooked menu to order and served at table offering a superb selection. Tea and coffee also served at table, an example of the kind of old fashioned service which is sadly dying out. We can't praise the staff enough for their friendliness and attention. The pool room was lovely and warm and welcoming with huge towels provided. One of us swam before breakfast each morning; in summer this would be a treat of an area with the glass doors open for sunbathing (fellow guests please note the fairly small pool is supposed to be SHARED!). The hotel is up a steep hill but a courtesy bus is provided; we used the walk to work off the food! We can say quite categorically that this is the best hotel we have ever stayed in - OK we paid a bit more but we have had stays in higher range establishments that have not come near to the quality and service offered here! Will certainly be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Wow! What a fantastic review! Thank you for taking the time and share your experience with other Travellers. It was a pleasure to read that you had a most enjoyable holiday and your bedroom was up to your comfort. I am glad that you found the hotel grounds and location with the pretty views ideal and you truly enjoyed the facilities that our Health Suite could offer and your dinning experience in the Grill Room was also excellent. However I am really sorry to hear that you were not pleased with the bar meal on the first night, we have taken your comments on board and will do our utmost to make some improvements and avoid any future disappointment.
I would like thank you once again for your wonderful review, which I will be delighted to share with my team, and we look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet in the future.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I could only persuade my wife to join me on a sailing-trip from Hoorn/Holland to Guernsey if she was promised a subsequent coddling couple of days in a well matched Hotel. The Havelet proved to be the perfect fit. Most relaxing after the 6 days and nights sailing experience of 4 man/1 wife on the beautiful 78" sailing-yacht "Bontekoning".
The Hotel and restaurant staff were very friendly and correct. The superior-room offered everything that we could wish; first of all the best bed we ever encountered in a Hotel. The food in both restaurants was of such high standard that we didn't even think of adventuring any alternative in St.Peter's Port.
The swimming-pool and jacuzzi proved perfectly suited for the promised pampering.
Moreover my wallet was pampered as well because we happened to check in right on the first day of the October "Tennerfest" (Yes, I am a thrifty Dutchman!)
Thanks to the Havelet my love is now longing for the next sailing-trip to Guernsey.
Jan Vlak (71) and Anneke Vlak (69)

Room Tip: Opt for a superior room. Forget your laptop-computer; a desktop-computer is available in the quiet l...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at Best Western Hotel De Havelet, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Thank you very much indeed for sharing your experience! It is an absolute pleasure to read comments like this and we are delighted that the hotel ticked so many boxes for you and you had such a memorable time here at BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet. I am very pleased to hear that you liked your well-equipped deluxe room, the relaxing time you spent in our Health Suite and the dining experience along with the service that you received.

Your feedback and recommendation is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you, and your wife back to the hotel for another truly memorable stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Peter Port
Best Western Moores Central Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
#7 of 19 in St Peter Port

Been to Best Western Hotel De Havelet? Share your experiences!