“First Class”

Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
London
“First Class”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I stayed at the old government house for one night while on a job in Guernsey. Guernsey looks great and although I arrived at dusk, I've marked it out for a longer visit to see more.

The hotel is in the centre of St. Peter Port - excellently placed. A first class welcome from a charming receptionist who made the arrival special. Less so from the porter Stewart who was asked to show me to my room. He took me to the lift and then gave me instructions, which turned out to be had to follow as the second floor is a bit of a warren.

My room, 215, a queen superior was luxuriously appointed, if a little on the compact side. A bit fussy for me, but not doubting a very comfortable and high bed, great well stocked tea tray and two easy chairs.

I didn't bring a cat, but had I done so I would have had a problem swinging it in the very compact bathroom. Great toiletries from L'occitane, but no where near the sink to unpack ones own sponge bag, and a shower that was a tight fit to get out of. No space to stand and dry oneself either.

Excellent service. A call from reception twenty minutes after check in to see if everythign was alright in my room brought a staff member with a wireless router as the interested signal in the room was not good.

First class breakfast, and a nice evening meal in the brasseries.

It's ceryaunky not cheap and at that price I could have done with more space, but no denying the service levels and quality of the place. First class

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank claytoncast

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to this little gem of a hotel and we were not disappointed. See our previous review from two years ago. Very quaint, like stepping back in time, in a good way. From sumptuous afternoon teas, to a great bar service and the best lamb curry I have had and customer service second to none . Any request will be catered for with a smile. Great position too for little walks into town. Do not be put off by the minority of bad reviews, this is a lovely charming little hotel, you will not be disappointed .

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hoopers070
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel in January 2014. The room was very small, the desk was to small to be used for working, and the various lights of the phone, bathroom and fire alarm made an extravaguant light show at night... The bathroom was not heated and therefore super cold in January. While the staff was friendly, i cannot rate this hotel above the average for a five star (and five star pricing). The breakfast was also disappointing, and the wine served at the bar were also not "five-star" standard. On top of it, my magnetic room key didnt work on day two, apparently being erased by my phone. i cannot recommend this hotel and wont return.

Room Tip: maybe a room with view would have enhanced my stay
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank BernieBird
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2014

A very nice place with helpful staff but needs dragging kicking and screaming into this century. We booked a 3 night stay with 2 friends over new year, with a New Year Dinner dance with Jazz band, a black tie do!

When we arrived we were offered an upgrade to a suite, which after looking at the first room we gladly accepted at an extra £70 per night. This gave us a bath that an adult could bathe in which was not the case in the first room.

A suite, with no fridge? We had to ask for a fridge for cold drinks, but the thermostat was broken so it froze all our drinks overnight! Popped coke bottles make a right mess!

The main restaurant is an Indian with limited choice and awful, expensive food. Breakfast was ok but the service was slow and without leadership or organisation with no one knowing if anyone else has asked us for our order or drinks, and a long wait for very small helpings.

The New Years Eve Ball was like a wedding do, with badly behaved children running riot on the dance floor and a pushy waiter trying to sell his wine and champagne for all he was worth (I would be happy if he worked for me!). We retired to a lounge area 30 mins before midnight but were never approached with an offer of drinks so had no way to toast in the new year!

The new bar area is nice and a very helpful bar man reserved us an area for the evening to have snacks and drinks and watch TV, the snacks were very good too.

I have spent less for 2 weeks in the Caribbean but you live and learn!

I think this place just needs to attend to the details, change the Indian restaurant entirely and buy some supportive pillows for all the rooms, improve the room facilities to justify the prices and they could be back in business. But as it is, it's well below modern travellers realistic expectations at these prices.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank CliveL
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2013

My wife and I have just returned home from a five day Christmas break at this hotel. The whole experience was just about perfect. The standard of the rooms and public areas exceeding our expectations by far. The hotel staff were extremely attentive and professional and saw to our every need. The food and service in both the Brasserie and Curry Room restaurants was exemplary as was the afternoon tea in the Sir John Coward Lounge. The spa, which has a well equipped gymnasium, steam room, sauna and chill out room, was outstanding. I cannot praise this establishment enough. A credit to the owners!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, England
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We just stopped off here for a drink so I am only commenting on the bar area. We had a coffee and brandy in the bar. It has lovely views of St Peter Port and the bay. Well worth a visit. Lovely friendly staff too. I'll definitely come back next time I'm in Guernsey.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank carebear56
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed December 3, 2013

The Old Government House Hotel is exactly what I expected -- old and charming. I booked the hotel on a business trip because it was the hotel with the highest star rating and it did not disappoint. Of course, there are the typical old hotel problems (creaky, uneven floors, old building smell), but they have done a good job of keeping the place up while maintaining its charm. And the bathroom was very modern looking and surprisingly nice. I would definitely stay here again if I returned to Guernsey.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
La Barbarie Hotel
La Barbarie Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Martins
Best Western Moores Central Hotel

Been to The Old Government House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!