“Another gem within the Red Carnation range”

The Old Government House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Just returned from 7 nights at the Old Government House where, on the whole we had a wonderful time. Every single member of the staff we met was courteous and only too willing to help in any way - it's impressive to visit a hotel where within two days every member of staff you encounter knows your name!
Although our room was not the largest (by any means) it was comfortable, well maintained and luckily had a sea view.
I would certainly recommend this hotel though I would concur with the earlier review regarding the "quantity" of the portion of smoked haddock offered at breakfast. We had a inclusive breakfast rate but if I had been asked to pay extra for that particular breakfast option I would certainly have complained - the kipper option was much better value and more substantial.
A small complaint but one that should not put you off visiting what is another excellent Red Carnation Hotel.

1  Thank pclarkBerkshire

Dear pclarkBerkshire,

Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback following your recent 7-night stay with us at The OGH. I am delighted that you found our team to be courteous and helpful and it will be my pleasure to share your kind words with them.

I was disappointed that you found some of the portions small at breakfast and I have spoken to the kitchen team to ensure that this issue is addressed.

Thank you for choosing The OGH for your visit to Guernsey and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

I stayed at the hotel from 20.7. to 31.7.11. I was there to attend the Town Carnival (staff will remember me as I am a big fan of the Tropikal Vizions Steel band) They also played at the hotel on Wednesday evening, 27.7.11 and everyone loved it. I hope they will be back next year.
The room was cosy, the bed and pillows comfortable I had a great night sleep. I liked the tea and coffee making facilities. The cooked breakfast was good I also had "Continental". Late Lunch at the Brasserie (Steak and vegetables) was just perfect and the ice cream was amazing. Room service was excellent I had the house made sandwiches when I didn't feel like going out.
I would like to say "Thank you". The whole team was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank ausbiz

Dear ausbiz,

I was thrilled to ready the feedback following your recent stay with us and delighted to hear that you found my team helpful and friendly and the food excellent. Town Carnival week is very special and we are already looking forward to next year!

Thank you for choosing The OGH for your stay and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

I booked this hotel last minute as a special one night away for my husbands 50th birthday, we loved it so much we are looking at when we can go back. It is worth every one of it's 5 stars just for the accomodation and service, we didn't even try the spa.
We stayed in a seaview room which had a balcony, the decor was lovely, the bed was the most comfortable I have slept on and I am fussy, you get asked before you arrive if you have any special requirement for pillows. All of the staff are wonderful and friendly, it is a very relaxed atmosphere, nothing is too much trouble. The Brasserie service and food is excellent, I would love to try the Governor's restaurant. The location is in town so great for wandering around. Don't attempt to park a car yourself, the carpark is around the back down a narrow alley and the staff are used to manouvering them for you, just stop outside and let them know.
My only comment is that if you were 6ft plus you would not fit in the shower in our bathroom as either the bath was high or the showerhead low, but I am sure that there are other rooms with a different layout, just mention it when you book.
Thank you OGH, I wanted this to be a special stay for a special day and it turned out better than I could have wished.

Room Tip: I believe all of the rooms are probably excellent, the seaview rooms are east facing.
1  Thank CoupleOfBrits

Dear CoupleOfBrits,

Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback following your recent visit to Guernsey and The OGH. I am very pleased that you found the atmosphere to be relaxed, the food and service excellent especially as this was for such a special occasion. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with my team who, I know, will be thrilled that their efforts to offer an exceptional experience have been appreciated.

Thank you for choosing The Old Government House Hotel and Spa for your short break and we look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay again very soon.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Expensive, the room we had for 2 nights was vey small and noisy from street and upstairs neighbour.
Breakfast was good, dinner not so good
Fish was small and called catch of the day, we thought it was deepfreeze.
Winelist small , nothing special. Service was pleasant, maitre d was good and attentive.Wifi free and good. Next stay we try different place.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Management response:Responded August 9, 2011

Dear basenflau,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your stay with us at the OGH.

I was disappointed to read of your disatisfaction with the size of your room and have made a note in your guest profile to ensure that should you visit us again we can recommend a more suitable room type.

I was pleased to see that you found our staff to be friendly, the service attentive and breakfast good. I was sorry however to read that you did not enjoy dinner with us and found our wine list limited. We have a small wine list in our bar and lounge however we do also have a 24 page extensive list available and have discussed with the team the importance of offering this list to all our guests to ensure that they have the greatest choice possible.

Please contact me when you are next visiting Guernsey as I would be pleased to have the opportunity to meet with you.

Reviewed July 25, 2011

My wife celebrating our wedding anniversary we drove to Weymouth and caught the Condor Ferry to Guernsey. On Friday 22nd July. Despite all the negative comments our trip on the Condor Ferry was superb. Despite leaving 10 minutes late on Friday afternoon we arrived on time in Guernsey and drove the short distance from the quay to the OGHH as it is called. We found the car park at the rear of the hotel which with a big car was a nightmare to get into and get out of. We checked in stating we had heard some rooms were small and in a narrow corridor. We were cheered by the receptionist saying we were being put in a Queen room which sounded great. The surprising alternative is we could have a refurbished room but at extra cost??? When paying almost £500 for 3 nights as it was this sounded a bit naughty. So we got to our room on the 2nd floor and whilst their descriptive was a queen room my descriptive would be for a very small queen, but with a view of the sea and the garden pool. But at least we had a view of the sea, however the bathroom was so tiny and the shower was in fact smaller than that we had in our Winnebago in Alaska two years ago. Getting in was okay but getting out with the door opening in was a contortion in itself. All being sorted we then had dinner at a beautiful restaurant the Boathouse on the front of St Peter Port, promising ourselves that we would have dinner in the Governors Restaurant at the hotel on the following night. However our first dining a the OGHH was breakfast and whilst cereals, fruit, toast etc was in abundance I selected the Smoked Haddock with Poached Eggs yes Eggs not one but two is my understanding of plural. However when it arrived the smoked haddock was on a huge plate with a sort of dip in the middle and it was hidden under one poached egg. Hidden is no exaggeration it was no more than 40cm across by 50cm long and not plump, less in fact than 4 tastes and it was gone, again the use of a small egg whilst hiding the fish did not hide the miserable offering that it was. This really was not good but in view of the other offerings at breakfast including my wife's very adequate Scrambled egg I was reluctant to complain. But in looking at the menu for the evening in the Governor's restaurant coupled with the mean offering at breakfast I saw the ultimate in matters that get my back up. Here we were in an hotel of repute with prices which make even the Four Seasons look cheap being told that all drinks and food will have a discretionary 10% service added!!!!! If there is one thing that really does anger me is a restaurant or hotel who make decisions for you when it comes to tipping good service especially when they are not inexpensive in the first place. I will reward good service in my own way I do not need to be treated like some small child being asked to remove what I had not asked to be put there in the first place. That meant we would not be eating at the OGHH as we had planned. Instead we opted for Da Nellos and Christies both of which I report on later.
Again the Old Government House Hotel is as it says on the label a great boutique hotel and breakfast on the lawn is a great experience by the pool and the fountain, but I do feel it has been living on a reputation with people who are easily pleased or are dazzled by the ambiance. As a world traveler I would have anticipated a bigger room and bath room for the money, more smoked fish for my money and my own decision on giving a tip or not as the case may be, when never knowing really if this reaches the staff of the hotel who were absolutely impeccable and catered for every need.

Room Tip: If you want a room with room to move you need to pay more than the £165 per night we did.d
1  Thank WiggleOxford

Dear WiggleOxford,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us at The OGH.

I was delighted to read that the service from our staff was impeccable and that they catered for your needs and it will give me pleasure to share this with them.

I was however disappointed that the same could not be said for other aspects of your stay. We always endeavour to offer an exceptional experience to all our guests so I was sorry to see that you were unhappy with your room and the food at breakfast. I have also taken on board your feelings regarding the discretionary 10% service charge added to diners bills but I would like to assure you that this does go to direct to our staff. I have spoken to our Kitchen, Restaurant and Front of House team and asked them to address the issues raised and also to add these points to your Guest Profile. This will ensure that should you choose to return to The OGH, and we very much hope that you will, you will be offered a larger room type and the service charge will not be added to your accounts leaving you free to reward service as you see fit.

I hope that you will consider returning to stay with us again in the future and, to ensure that have an exceptional experience, I would be happy to assist with any arrangements.

Reviewed July 24, 2011

We just came home from spending five nights in this wonderful hotel. We have enjoyed every minute of it. The room (number 102) was beautifully done, perhaps the bed was a bit on the small side, but we didn't care. The view was breathtaking and the room very comfortable. The bathroom was small but nice, enjoyed taking a bath in the evening after all the walking around town. The staff was very friendly and dinner and breakfast were wonderful. We had dinner one night at the Governors which was suburb! Lovely wines, fantastic food and a very romantic atmosphere. The spa with it's wonderful whirlpools and fantastic relaxation room was very nice on a wet and cold day. We even took a couples massage which was fantastic! In the afternoon we enjoyed a nice afternoon tea, it was lovely as well.
Nothing was too much for the staff, arranging things, helping with everything and making us feel very special. The chocolates at night on the bed were a treat every night and the bottle of champagne and fresh fruit that was in our room on arrival was a wonderful gift.
Thank you so very much for a great time, it made the last days of our honeymoon in Guernsey very special. We hope to be back in the future, on one of our anniversaries!

Dear MrandMrsSomers,

Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback following your recent stay at The OGH.

I was so pleased to hear that you enjoyed every minute of your stay with us and that you found the staff, food, spa and room excellent. It will be my pleasure to share your kind comments with my team without whom everything we do at the hotel would not be possible.

Thank you for choosing the OGH for part of your honeymoon and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed July 24, 2011

Rooms – excellent – we had a wonderful spacious room the first night but a rubbish view, then a small room the rest of the stay, with an absolutely superb view of the harbour and the other islands, as the front rooms with the views are not all suites. This equalled it out and the price seemed fair enough with the 4 nights for 3 deal.

A rather strange excuse why our room wasn’t ready – “Oh sorry, we thought it was one person so we have to prepare it for two.” Prepare such a spacious room for two?

I was impressed that they warned us about the noisy music from a wedding reception below our room on the Saturday evening, and said it would end at 2300, which it did, on the dot.

Room IT system – the slowest and most user-unfriendly TV-centered internet and music system we’ve ever seen – I hope the hotel didn’t pay too much for whoever conned them into buying it.

Spa and treatments – brilliant. Worth staying here just for that.

Brasserie restaurant – excellent. Governor’s Restaurant – 7-course menu very good, but they tried to overcharge us by over £100 (inc the service charge on the overcharge). As soon as the waiter saw us scrutinising the bill, which seemed a bit high, he whipped it away with an “Oh sorry, I’ve made a mistake.” They had charged us for 2 bottles of dessert wine at c.£50 each instead of 2 glasses at c.£5. Who ever has a bottle of dessert wine each? Seems a rather careless mistake to make, and I would have expected a more embarrassed and fulsome apology!

Staff – excellent, except a last minute glitch – the reception staff sent us on a wild goose chase costing £10 by taxi when we urgently needed a pharmacy on a Sunday when the shops are closed. The reception staff did their best, but they just didn’t have the knowledge. In the end I had to get hold of a Sunday paper and see which pharmacies were on duty on Sunday and which time they were open, which the staff could have done in the first place (and so could I, if I’d known the staff were so unknowledgeable).

Room Tip: If booking a small room, get one at the front
1  Thank Macoba

Dear Macoba,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at The OGH.

I was delighted to hear that you found the staff excellent, the food good and the spa treatments excellent. I am pleased that we were able to offer you an alternative room with a view and that you were happy with this. I was however very sorry to hear of the issue with the bill for dinner in The Governor's and the problem encountered when asking for the Sunday Chemist. I have spoken to both our Restaurant and Front of House teams and impressed upon them the importance of checking charges before presenting them to guests and also of having the correct information available at all times to ensure that we are able to offer the high level of service and standards expected. Thank you also for your comments regarding the internet service which we are looking into.

Thank you for choosing The OGH for your recent visit to Guernsey and we hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Peter Port
Best Western Moores Central Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
#6 of 19 in St Peter Port

Been to The Old Government House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!