“Fabulous 5 star hotel with 3 star room”

The Old Government House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Fabulous 5 star hotel with 3 star room”
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Hi
My partner John and I picked a lovely sunny weekend to celebrate our 6th anniversary in Guernsey. We chose this hotel having stayed on this beautiful island last May. At this time we stayed elewhere and ate at the Old G.H and loved the ambience and the advertised rooms looked sumptious!
We were so excited, the sun was shining the staff were welcoming and we booked dinner in their lovely restaurant. We then went to our room 202 and oh dear , my heart sank. Small We hate to make a fuss and feel the actual cost shoild ensure a decent room. Our dinner was good but the size of the dover sole was half normal size. We travel all over the world and we chose here for our anniversary. Staff lovely but some very disappointing features. COULD DO MUCH BETTER.

1 Thank lizjoyfitz
, General Manager at The Old Government House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 19, 2011
Dear Lizjoyfitz
Thank you for your review. I was sorry to hear of your disappointment with your recent stay. If you would like to discuss this in more detail please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The OGH at some point in the future.
Kind regards Andrew Chantrell, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Nottingham
Reviewed March 27, 2011

OGH is ideally situated close to the town centre, shops, harbour, restaurants and amenities of St Peter Port. Public rooms are elegantly furnished with an emphasis on comfort throughout. Bedrooms are well equipped and cosy if a little small in our case. Parking is provided nearby (a big plus in this town) and staff willingly park and return the car for you.
An excellent variety of food and wines with a wide price list are available throughout the day.
The feature which makes the hotel outstanding is the courteous service and attention from all members of staff. They are friendly and helpful at all times reminding us of the way hotels used to be focused on providing the best possible service for guests.
We cannot recommend OGH highly enough.

1 Thank JMB29
, General Manager at The Old Government House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Dear JMB29
Thank you for your wonderful review. We were delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at The OGH and that you found the service to be outstanding. It will be a pleasure for me to share your kind comments with my team. Thank you for choosing to recommend The OGH and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Stayed here for one night on business with colleagues. This is a very good hotel but not quite worthy of five stars,. but this might have been down to my individual room.

Staff service is extremely good and they will all go out of their way to help you. Bar and food prices very reasonable and location and grounds are beautiful. My only complaint is that the room I was allocated was rather poor as it was at the side of the building overlooking a car park and some bins which were emptied at 4 in the morning. If you pay more no doubt you will end up with a beautiful sea view.

Will definitely stay again

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank vedev
Dear vedev
Thank you for your review. I apologise that you were disrupted by the noise outside your bedroom but I was delighted to hear that you found the service to be extremely good. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The OGH in the not too distant future.
Bournemouth
Reviewed March 17, 2011

My partner & I flew over from the South Coast for a long w-end break and found this delightful Spa Hotel five minutes walk up the Hill from the Port at St Peters. Charming & elegant in every way. Hand picked staff made us feel very relaxed and welcome. Simply....Turn up, Sign in, and Tune out of the hustle & bustle of your daily routine. Try Guernsey travel Service for booking the complete package. We found this very competetive. We will go back !! A & W from Bournemouth.

1 Thank BoBBournemouth
, General Manager at The Old Government House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Dear BoBBournemouth,
Thank you for your kind review, we were very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and delighted that you hope to return to Guernsey in the not too distant future. Please do not hesitate to contact me when you have some dates in mind as I would be more than happy to assist with your reservation. Kind regards Andrew Chantrell, General Manager
Sturminster Newton.Dorset. UK
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I cannot describe sufficiently well enough, what a wonderful hotel and staff at the OGH are.
The room(s) were superb quality, an added surprise as we had booked via Airmiles.
The meals in the brasserie were top quality and the attention to detail exemplary.
My husband was taken to hospital with a suspected heart attack during our stay and the staff treated me with extreme kindness, more like a family member than a stranger in their midst. Nothing was too much trouble for them; sorting out my travel arrangements, taking me to and from the hospital daily and transferring me and all my luggage to our next destination. Thank you so, so much. A very high quality establishment, much to recommend to any one. (Yes my husband has recovered, thank you.)

2 Thank Marian M
Dear marianmorris
Thank you for your wonderful review. We were so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us despite the health issues your husband experienced. Everyone at The OGH is delighted to hear Mr Morris is doing well and we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The OGH in the not too distant future. Kind regards Andrew Chantrell, General Manager
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2011

An excellent hotel with a level of service that is exceptional. great food and wines, comfortable room and a welcome that is designed to enhance your stay. for that special occasion the restaurant is just perfect, intimate with discreet service that tends to every need, we had the seven course degustation menu which was delicious. Ideally situated just a short stroll to the shopping area and harbour, parking is not the easiest but valet parking is offered and was gratefully accepted. This is a superb country house hotel in the middle of a busy little town, but the peace and quiet it provided made our stay ideal when we needed to chill out.

Dear Elayne110808
Thank you for your lovely review. We were delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found the level of service to be exceptional. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The OGH in the not too distant future and if I ever may be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me. Kind regards Andrew Chantrell, General Manager
London
Reviewed March 4, 2011

I regularly stay in this hotel when I'm on business in Guernsey. Great location and world class service. I highly recommend it. SF

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
, General Manager at The Old Government House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
Dear Mr Feriani
Thank you very much for you kind review. We were delighted to hear you enjoy your visits to The Old Government House Hotel and Spa and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future. Kind regards Andrew Chantrell, General Manager