“Christmas Family Stay”

The Duke of Richmond Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Booked penthouse and adjoining suite for 4 nights, great value for the luxury.
Had planned to bring the dog but weather cancelled the ferry - staff were then very accommodating in swapping rooms.
Great hotel, beautifully furnish, the friendliness of the staff being a real highlight.
Food excellent - pleased to say breakfast cooked to order with additional cold buffet.
All highly recommended.

Room Tip: They take dogs! Fantastic
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear Ajl1966,

It has been a real pleasure to read your glowing review. It is wonderful to learn that your stay over the Christmas period has left so many warm memories for you and your family. I was also delighted to share with my team that you enjoyed our delicious breakfasts, and also that our friendly and attentive staff proved to be a real highlight of your experience at the Duke.

We look forward to welcoming your family (and hopefully your dog this time!) to our hotel next time you decide to visit Guernsey.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Went for lunch yesterday we were a party of 5, we all chose from the Christmas set lunch menu priced at £19.95, as this seemed the cheapest option! All other meals were very over priced, and you had to buy veg separately! The food was average, and the traditional Christmas lunch had no brussel sprouts!
Drinks.... were 4 glasses of wine, 1 mulled wine, 2 soda water with lime & 2 bottles of water.. .
The bill....£157! £14.50 service charge!!
This probably explains why apart from us & 2 other people the place was empty! Such a shame as it's really nicely done out, staff are great..
Would we go back? NO...

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Noseypark
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear Noseypark,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your visit to The Leopard Bar and Restaurant. Whilst it was lovely to read that you found the staff great and liked the decor in the restaurant I was very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your lunch and found the food average. We receive a lot of very positive feedback about the service, ambience and quality of the food so it is sad to learn that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I have discussed your comments with our Executive Head Chef and we will be adding Brussels sprouts to our festive menus as well as ensuring that the quality is of the high standard that our guests have come to expect.

I do hope you will give us the opportunity to show you that we offer value for money and consider having Sunday lunch or perhaps afternoon tea with us and I am grateful for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

A lovely quirky hotel with truly individual furnishings and perfect service. We have had a wonderful time here. Nothing was too much trouble , the staff are lovely, perfect at their jobs and very friendly. We are on a gluten I and dairy free diet and this was catered for well. We even had s special dessert made. Truly spoilt. I would happily stay for longer and would not hesitate to book again.

• Stayed: December 2013
DukeRichmond, Deputy General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Dear Julia B,

Thank you for choosing the Duke of Richmond Hotel for your recent visit to Guernsey and taking time to share your experience with other travellers. I was delighted to learn that our staff have made you feel welcome and ensured your stay is memorable, service attentive and friendly.

It was wonderful that you felt truly pampered at the Duke and found the meals, adapted to suit your special diet, delicious and enjoyable.

We hope that we will have another opportunity of welcoming you and your family back to our hotel in the future.

Deputy General Manager

Reviewed December 1, 2013

This hotel is ridiculous, the decor is so completely over the top the guests disappear into the mirrors or wallpaper. The dining room is Bet Lynch's wildest dream, everything was covered in leopard skin patterns including the furniture,the lounge black and white zebra theme it is supposed to be calming but not. Bedroom covered in huge brown flowers, we counted 16 pieces of furniture or was it 17? Comfortable but let down by the bathroom, cheap bath, dodgy shower and a toilet so close to the radiator you had to be very careful not to burn and there was a weird blue night light.
The food was very ordinary and expensive with add on service charges, and the service was extremely irritating, the staff are like robots who have learnt to be hospitable but don't understand why, so there is a constant stream wine, water topping up seemingly by everyone on duty, a constant stream of is everything alright for you? At breakfast we were served again by numerous staff but still found the drinks cold and the breakfast over cooked.
Was looking forward this but very disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wisebirdy
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear Wisebirdy,

Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback following your recent stay at The Duke of Richmond Hotel.

I was very sorry to read that the decor in the hotel was not to your liking and whilst we appreciate that the look of the hotel will not be to everyone’s taste we like to think that, on the whole, its quirkiness leaves a lasting impression on our guests.

As a Red Carnation Hotel we pride ourselves on the standard of service and quality that we provide our guests and receive many positive comments so it is disappointing to learn that this was not evident during your stay. Rest assured that I will be speaking to the whole team and ensuring that more rigorous training is undertaken so that the service and hospitality provided does not become repetitive or robotic. I will also be discussing your dining experience with our Head Chef to make sure that everything served at breakfast is to our usual high standards at all times.

I welcome feedback, both positive and negative, as it is only through comments such as yours that we are able to make sure that our guests have a memorable stay with us so I hope that you will reconsider your decision not to return and that we may welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

On arrival you know this is not yet another chain hotel where everything is the same and predicable - this is a hotel with character and a unique personality.

The greeting at reception could not have been more welcoming and professional. This welcome and desire to please and deliver came across with everyone memebr of staff I met - what a joy and breath of fresh air.

To say the hotel has it's own style would be an understatement - may not be to everyones choice, but I loved it!

A wonderful hotel with a wonderful set of people who's only objective is to make your stay memorable.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
DukeRichmond, Deputy Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear 186254David_B,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post this fabulous feedback on TripAdvisor. We were delighted to read that the distinctive character of the Duke of Richmond Hotel has left such a lasting impression on you. It is very motivating for all of us to know that our guests enjoy our truly unique property not only for its original style and décor, but also for its welcoming and personalised service!

We hope that we will have another opportunity of welcoming you back to the Duke of Richmond Hotel next time you are on the island.

Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Everything was perfect. Personnel friendly, good services offered and excellent restaurant. Perfect for business trip and also for holidays. Located in a good position, close to the center. Price was average considering others hotel in the island. To recommend!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
DukeRichmond, Deputy Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Dear 822emanuelem,

Thank you for the kind comments following your recent stay with us, which I was delighted to share with my team. It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed our friendly service and delicious meals in the Leopard Restaurant and that you felt that staying with us represented value for money.

I hope that we will have a pleasure of welcoming you back to the Duke of Richmond Hotel on your next visit to Guernsey.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

This was my first stay here and I have to say my welcome and the attention given was excellent. This theme carried through my whole stay and from all members of staff be it in the bar, restaurant, reception or just passing in the corridor.

Given the price, I found my room small but very well appointed. One of the best showers I have ever experienced in a hotel - one of my key tests.

Breakfasts were superb and all cooked to order. Very good scrambled eggs. My first two evening meals were disappointing in that both the pork (belly) and the chicken (curry) were not as tender as I would have expected. I then decided to try the specials instead of the fixed menu and I have to say I enjoyed every meal, which were cooked and presented to a very high standard.

Food and drink prices were high, and consistent with the room price.

An excellent hotel, but I'm not sure it represents value for money, nor if I would stay there again. I think I need to try another hotel on Guernsey to make a fair comparison

Room Tip: The rooms with a sea view are nice but expect to pay extra if you ask for one of these
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
DukeRichmond, Deputy Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear Madd0g68,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your recent stay at The Duke of Richmond Hotel. I was delighted that you found the team attentive and the service excellent during your visit and I will be delighted to share this with the whole team.

I was however disappointed to read that you did not feel your dining experience on the first two evenings of your stay were of a high standard and please rest assured that I have asked Chef to monitor the quality of the dishes being served to our guests. I was pleased however that you enjoyed breakfast in The Leopard Restaurant.

We are constantly monitoring our pricing policy to ensure that the experience that we offer our guests is of the highest standard and represents value for money and I do hope that you will decide to return to stay with us again the next time you are in Guernsey.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Peter Port
Best Western Moores Central Hotel
Hotel Bella Luce
Hotel Bella Luce
#2 of 9 in St Martin

Been to The Duke of Richmond Hotel? Share your experiences!