“Just lunch!”

The Duke of Richmond Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
“Just lunch!”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Went for lunch yesterday we were a party of 5, we all chose from the Christmas set lunch menu priced at £19.95, as this seemed the cheapest option! All other meals were very over priced, and you had to buy veg separately! The food was average, and the traditional Christmas lunch had no brussel sprouts!
Drinks.... were 4 glasses of wine, 1 mulled wine, 2 soda water with lime & 2 bottles of water.. .
The bill....£157! £14.50 service charge!!
This probably explains why apart from us & 2 other people the place was empty! Such a shame as it's really nicely done out, staff are great..
Would we go back? NO...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Noseypark
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Noseypark,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your visit to The Leopard Bar and Restaurant. Whilst it was lovely to read that you found the staff great and liked the decor in the restaurant I was very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your lunch and found the food average. We receive a lot of very positive feedback about the service, ambience and quality of the food so it is sad to learn that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I have discussed your comments with our Executive Head Chef and we will be adding Brussels sprouts to our festive menus as well as ensuring that the quality is of the high standard that our guests have come to expect.

I do hope you will give us the opportunity to show you that we offer value for money and consider having Sunday lunch or perhaps afternoon tea with us and I am grateful for your valuable feedback.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Turkish first
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2013

A lovely quirky hotel with truly individual furnishings and perfect service. We have had a wonderful time here. Nothing was too much trouble , the staff are lovely, perfect at their jobs and very friendly. We are on a gluten I and dairy free diet and this was catered for well. We even had s special dessert made. Truly spoilt. I would happily stay for longer and would not hesitate to book again.

• Stayed December 2013
DukeRichmond, Deputy General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Julia B,

Thank you for choosing the Duke of Richmond Hotel for your recent visit to Guernsey and taking time to share your experience with other travellers. I was delighted to learn that our staff have made you feel welcome and ensured your stay is memorable, service attentive and friendly.

It was wonderful that you felt truly pampered at the Duke and found the meals, adapted to suit your special diet, delicious and enjoyable.

We hope that we will have another opportunity of welcoming you and your family back to our hotel in the future.

Deputy General Manager
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This hotel is ridiculous, the decor is so completely over the top the guests disappear into the mirrors or wallpaper. The dining room is Bet Lynch's wildest dream, everything was covered in leopard skin patterns including the furniture,the lounge black and white zebra theme it is supposed to be calming but not. Bedroom covered in huge brown flowers, we counted 16 pieces of furniture or was it 17? Comfortable but let down by the bathroom, cheap bath, dodgy shower and a toilet so close to the radiator you had to be very careful not to burn and there was a weird blue night light.
The food was very ordinary and expensive with add on service charges, and the service was extremely irritating, the staff are like robots who have learnt to be hospitable but don't understand why, so there is a constant stream wine, water topping up seemingly by everyone on duty, a constant stream of is everything alright for you? At breakfast we were served again by numerous staff but still found the drinks cold and the breakfast over cooked.
Was looking forward this but very disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Wisebirdy
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Wisebirdy,

Thank you for taking the time to offer some feedback following your recent stay at The Duke of Richmond Hotel.

I was very sorry to read that the decor in the hotel was not to your liking and whilst we appreciate that the look of the hotel will not be to everyone’s taste we like to think that, on the whole, its quirkiness leaves a lasting impression on our guests.

As a Red Carnation Hotel we pride ourselves on the standard of service and quality that we provide our guests and receive many positive comments so it is disappointing to learn that this was not evident during your stay. Rest assured that I will be speaking to the whole team and ensuring that more rigorous training is undertaken so that the service and hospitality provided does not become repetitive or robotic. I will also be discussing your dining experience with our Head Chef to make sure that everything served at breakfast is to our usual high standards at all times.

I welcome feedback, both positive and negative, as it is only through comments such as yours that we are able to make sure that our guests have a memorable stay with us so I hope that you will reconsider your decision not to return and that we may welcome you back again in the future.

Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2013

On arrival you know this is not yet another chain hotel where everything is the same and predicable - this is a hotel with character and a unique personality.

The greeting at reception could not have been more welcoming and professional. This welcome and desire to please and deliver came across with everyone memebr of staff I met - what a joy and breath of fresh air.

To say the hotel has it's own style would be an understatement - may not be to everyones choice, but I loved it!

A wonderful hotel with a wonderful set of people who's only objective is to make your stay memorable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
DukeRichmond, Deputy Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear 186254David_B,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post this fabulous feedback on TripAdvisor. We were delighted to read that the distinctive character of the Duke of Richmond Hotel has left such a lasting impression on you. It is very motivating for all of us to know that our guests enjoy our truly unique property not only for its original style and décor, but also for its welcoming and personalised service!

We hope that we will have another opportunity of welcoming you back to the Duke of Richmond Hotel next time you are on the island.

Udine, Italy
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Everything was perfect. Personnel friendly, good services offered and excellent restaurant. Perfect for business trip and also for holidays. Located in a good position, close to the center. Price was average considering others hotel in the island. To recommend!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
DukeRichmond, Deputy Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear 822emanuelem,

Thank you for the kind comments following your recent stay with us, which I was delighted to share with my team. It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed our friendly service and delicious meals in the Leopard Restaurant and that you felt that staying with us represented value for money.

I hope that we will have a pleasure of welcoming you back to the Duke of Richmond Hotel on your next visit to Guernsey.

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This was my first stay here and I have to say my welcome and the attention given was excellent. This theme carried through my whole stay and from all members of staff be it in the bar, restaurant, reception or just passing in the corridor.

Given the price, I found my room small but very well appointed. One of the best showers I have ever experienced in a hotel - one of my key tests.

Breakfasts were superb and all cooked to order. Very good scrambled eggs. My first two evening meals were disappointing in that both the pork (belly) and the chicken (curry) were not as tender as I would have expected. I then decided to try the specials instead of the fixed menu and I have to say I enjoyed every meal, which were cooked and presented to a very high standard.

Food and drink prices were high, and consistent with the room price.

An excellent hotel, but I'm not sure it represents value for money, nor if I would stay there again. I think I need to try another hotel on Guernsey to make a fair comparison

Room Tip: The rooms with a sea view are nice but expect to pay extra if you ask for one of these
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
DukeRichmond, Deputy Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Madd0g68,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your recent stay at The Duke of Richmond Hotel. I was delighted that you found the team attentive and the service excellent during your visit and I will be delighted to share this with the whole team.

I was however disappointed to read that you did not feel your dining experience on the first two evenings of your stay were of a high standard and please rest assured that I have asked Chef to monitor the quality of the dishes being served to our guests. I was pleased however that you enjoyed breakfast in The Leopard Restaurant.

We are constantly monitoring our pricing policy to ensure that the experience that we offer our guests is of the highest standard and represents value for money and I do hope that you will decide to return to stay with us again the next time you are in Guernsey.

Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Trip Advisor has just rewarded my reviews of the past four years with a magnetic badge for my car or fridge, so I am now a kept man and this review may not be as impartial as before. My goodness, what a weird hotel! But with the best staff I have ever come across.

The entrance lobby has an anteroom with a collection of animal hide chairs, presumably shot personally by the interior designers before moving on to the bedrooms. I can live with an oversized chandelier over the bed, a tweedy throw over the bottom of the bed with matching cushions (why?) and sheets and pillowcases monogrammed with "DRH" in gold thread, BUT.......who decided it was a good idea to put a creepy blue LED above the loo and a large mirror behind it. Seeking relief at 2 in the morning was a surreal experience - sort of "Fear and Loathing in Guernsey" lit by a single blue downlight with an unrequested voyeuristic element to it. This must have been designed by someone who sits down for this regular bodily function - either a German male (yes they do) or possibly a woman.

More practically, there was no room to swing anything- and more importantly, not enough flat space to put my computer, while the couple of electric sockets were nowhere near a mirror for using the hairdryer. The designers have had a field day and it probably looks great if you're living in a drug-induced haze or come from Brighton. For the business traveller - even after a few Rioja's - it looks a bit silly and doesn't work very well as somewhere to stay - albeit it's very comfortable and mildly amusing.

Having said all that, the restaurant is attractive and the adjoining terrace has a perfect sunlit punkah-fanned conservatory for a superbly cooked breakfast (although the chef got the fried bread stuck up on its edge both mornings - a bit more practice and it might lie flat). I had dinner here on the second night and that is worth a separate review - super meal.

That brings me to the service - wow! My bags were taken from me as I walked in and whisked up to my room. The receptionist (male) out-Jeeves Stephen Fry in the nicest possible sense and the friendly air of competence and helpfulness is palpable throughout the hotel. One female receptionist has a sparkling sense of humour and was a delight.

Would I go back? Nope. The St Pierre Park has a better garden, lots more room and chairs you don't have to check for mortality before you sit on them. It also has a decent desk to work at AND no blue light over the loo. If I want ambience, including sensibly placed bathroom LEDs (either side of the loo at seat height) and a room designed to perfection, then I'll go back to the Farmhouse (see separate reviews).

Congratulations and many thanks to the staff - and remember the old sign "You don't have to be mad to work here, but.....................".

OK - grudging thanks to the hotel designers who gave me something quirky and different for a couple of nights.

Room Tip: No trouble sleeping myself and I was directly above the front door, but ask for a back room if you a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank saymwa
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Saymwa,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Duke of Richmond with other travellers. I was delighted to read that you found our team the best you have come across and it will give me great pleasure to thank them on your behalf.

I am sorry that not all the decor in the public areas was too your liking but pleased that you liked The Leopard Bar and Restaurant. Whilst we understand that the look of the hotel will not be to everyone’s taste we like to think that on the whole the quirkiness leaves a lasting impression on our guests.

Thank you for your separate review of the restaurant. It was wonderful to learn that you dining experience was a memorable one.

We hope that you will return to dine in our restaurant when you return to Guernsey and that you will also consider staying with us again in the future.