“An exceptional friendly, clean and efficient hotel.”

The Duke of Richmond Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
“An exceptional friendly, clean and efficient hotel.”
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Exceptional balance between friendly and professional. Nothing ever too much trouble for the plentiful staff. Breakfast a real treat with great coffee. Rooms fantastic and bed was the most comfortable I have EVER slept on.
My wife and I and our four-year son were made to feel so welcome in this hotel. We made good use of the heated outdoor swimming pool and the terrace which is a real sun trap until about 4:30pm. Particular thanks to 'Bianca' who made my son some paper boats and 'Orlando' the BarTender who was great fun and most engaging with us. This hotel is simply great. Don't stay anywhere else!!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank MatthewCull
DukeRichmond, Deputy General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear MatthewCull,

Thank you for these wonderful comments following your recent stay at the Duke of Richmond Hotel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our breakfasts, swimming and lounging by the pool and that you had the best night’s sleep on our comfortable beds!

I was also very happy to read that our staff, Bianca and Orlando in particular, have made you feel very welcome and provided the balanced service that Red Carnation hotels are famous for.

We all hope that we will have another opportunity of welcoming your family to the Duke of Richmond Hotel for another memorable and relaxing stay!

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This hotel runs like clockwork, everything is where it should be at the correct time. The attention to detail cannot be faulted, the staff are incredible and they certainly know how to treat their guests very well. We stayed for 3 nights whilst on business locally and it was an absolute pleasure to stay at this hotel. The restaurant is simply outstanding, there is a relaxed friendly atmosphere but the standards of professionalism never slip - a true credit to the Hotel Manager and his excellent team, I cannot recommend The Duke of Richmond highly enough, the service surpasses hotels I've stayed with charging significantly more, it's excellent value for money. Having been travelling on business for 30+ years it will certainly be my first choice whenever I'm staying in Guernsey.

1 Thank Simon R
DukeRichmond, Hotel Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Simon R,

Thank you for choosing The Duke of Richmond for your stay and for taking the time to write about it on TripAdvisor. I have shared your review with the team and they were absolutely glowing! I am delighted that you like our unique restaurant, the helpful staff and the lovely atmosphere and delighted that you would choose to stay here again.

London, England
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Long time visitor to Guernsey and was drawn to this place by a review in the Times follwing its 1930s style revamp.
Can't add much to the reviews below. Had the Alderney Suite which is the silver and red one in the ads which was great fun in its own right. Someone thought I was staying in Vagas!
Great service at Breakfast staff swarm round you like friendly bees, food great.
My only down points were that the fixed evening menu cards didn't entice me in for dinner (expected a daily table d'hote) and parking in the locality is a nightmare. Please buy up a bit of Cambridge park! Houskeeping also kept forgetting to replace towels tut tut!
It essentaily has all the ingredients of OGH but slightly more out of town and a little cheaper.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Jonworld,

Thank you for choosing the Duke of Richmond Hotel for your visit to Guernsey and for sharing your experience with other travellers.

I was very pleased to hear that you were impressed with the Alderney Suite which also happens to be a favourite amongst many of our guests. Your kind comments about our excellent service at breakfast have been shared with the Restaurant team, who are indeed one of our greatest assets.

I was very sorry to read that you did not like the choices on our Leopard Bar and Restaurant’s a la carte menu. We do offer a selection of items on our daily specials board, including local fish, meals with locally sourced ingredients and vegetarian options to ensure variety.

As with any other property in central St Peter Port, hotel parking facilities are limited, however we are trying to cope with this issue by offering our guests to leave their car keys with concierge who are more than happy to park your car in the nearest available spot.

We have taken a careful note about replacing the towels, for which I would like to sincerely apologise and I hope this won’t deter you from choosing to stay here again.

We hope we will have another opportunity of welcoming you back to the Duke of Richmond Hotel when you come to Guernsey again.

Tilehurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Just returned from another superb holiday where we stayed at the Duke of Richmond Hotel in St Peter Port, Guernsey. Every aspect of the hotel is fabulous, especially the wonderful interiors throughout the hotel. Loved all the little extras - dressing gowns, slippers, bottled water by the bed, lovely toiletries etc. Every member of staff was welcoming, polite, genuinely helpful and committed to your personal service.

The cuisine on offer is absolutely exceptional, both in terms of variety and of quality. The dishes served are truly exquisite. The traditional breakfast is varied and consists of freshly-pressed orange juice, homemade pastries, fresh fruit, cereal, meat cuts, yogurts, and hot dishes (full English, bacon, eggs, sausages etc.). For lunch and dinner, you’re offered the same level of variety and quality.

The terrace and pool areas are fantastic suntraps and offer a tranquil haven, both spacious and well set out with comfy furniture.

Walk into town is only 5 to 10 mins, but quite a steep hill (don’t let that put you off !!), at least it helps to work off the dinner from the many good restaurants in town.

If you want to stay in luxury, be treated as an individual and want your needs to always be the first priority then visit the Duke of Richmond Hotel as it elevates comfort and holiday experience to new highs – you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Eddie5081,

We were very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Duke of Richmond Hotel and thank you for taking time to write such a fantastic review about your visit.

It was great to read that you loved the elegant and homely décor of the hotel and found all the little touches we provide for our guest’s utmost comfort very useful.

Our Restaurant and Kitchen teams were delighted with your comments about the quality, presentation and variety of the meals we are offering in the Leopard Bar and Restaurant.

Thank you again, and I look forward to meeting you on your next stay.

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed for one night, staff were very friendly and holpful. There is a good atmosphere in the bar and and great secluded terrace if you prefer to sit outside. I believe the hotel was redecorated 2 years ago and speaking to locals, the hotel is at a high standard.

Room Tip: Rooms are either overlooking the park, or down towards the harbour, so all are generally good.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
DukeRichmond, Deputy General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Aidand,

Thank you for the kind comments following your recent stay with us, which I was delighted to share with my team. It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed the great atmosphere of our hotel that is created by our friendly and professional staff.

I hope that we will have a pleasure of welcoming you back to the Duke of Richmond Hotel on your next visit to Guernsey.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Although this was only an overnight stay for business I was very pleased indeed with the high standard of this hotel. From the outstanding entrance hall/lobby to the lovely patio at the rear, overlooking their heated outdoor pool. Staff were extremely helpful & friendly & the breakfast was outstanding. The best hotel breakfast I have ever had! My only criticism was the small bedroom. Beautifully decorated, immaculately clean but small. As I was on my own this double room sufficed but had there been 2 sharing you would have felt very cramped. I am aware that larger rooms/suites are available at a higher cost but when looking at the photos on the website be aware that these appear to be the ones in the official photographs & perhaps check before booking if you want to guarantee a larger room for your stay.

Dear Clare50_11,

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed our breakfast, spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated bedrooms. We pride ourselves in offering warm and engaging experiences for our guests so it is wonderful to read that you found our team to be very friendly and helpful.

I was sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations with regard to the bedroom size. Our hotel guest rooms vary in size and some standard rooms, which are smaller than the others, are normally recommended for short stays. However, as you rightly pointed out we are always pleased to offer for a reasonable supplementary charge any of our larger rooms which offer more space and comfort for longer stays.

I would love an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I'm biased. I live nearby, but this hotel is superb. The decor is interesting, eclectic and fun. The welcome is excellent every time and the food always excellent. It's not the cheapest but you get what you pay for. The daily specials are always worth trying. The wine list is select but very good value for quality. Live music on Fridays is worth hearing. What really tops the experience is the friendliness of the staff - attentive without ever being intrusive, they remember who you are and seem pleased to see you. I always enjoy going here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dogberry1258
DukeRichmond, Deputy General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Dogberry1258,

I would like to thank you for this wonderful, heartfelt review of your experience at the Duke of Richmond hotel. It is extremely rewarding for our team to know that their passion for excellence in everything they do have created a memorable experience for you. It was great to read that you enjoyed your meals in the Leopard Bar and Restaurant and that you enjoyed the live music on Friday evenings. We hope that we will have many more opportunities of seeing you again at the Duke of Richmond hotel and that you will also visit some of our sister hotels in the UK and further abroad.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Peter Port
#1 of 9 in St Martins
Fermain Valley Hotel
Fermain Valley Hotel
#4 of 19 in St Peter Port

Been to The Duke of Richmond Hotel? Share your experiences!