“best hotel in my experience”

The Duke of Richmond Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Having recently lost my wife, I decided to take a solo cycling week in Guernsey this September. (Hotel-wise, my sojourn in Jersey last year was an absolute disaster.)The Duke of Richmond was the ONLY hotel on the island prepared to accommodate a single traveller. This was easily the best hotel in my experience -and I've been to many, home and abroad. The staff were attentive, the food delicious, and the facilities excellent. One thing that struck me forcibly was the fact that the hotel personnel addressed me by name from the day after I arrived. And not just Reception. They even found a well-appointed room for my bicycle !!! I shall certainly make The Duke of Richmond an annual fixture.Chris P

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank prospero13
DukeRichmond, General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear prospero13,

Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to share your thoughts with others. We were delighted to have you staying with us at The Duke of Richmond Hotel and so pleased that we were able to make your visit a memorable one. We like all our guests to feel that the hotel is their home away from home and my team, of whom I am very proud, always go that extra mile to ensure that all our guests have an exception experience when staying with us.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again next year, if not before!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have stayed in many different hotels in Guernsey over the years and so its true to say that I've been around a bit. However, this was my first time at the DOR and as with everything else, first impressions count. Well, in this case I was almost overwhelmed by the 'Alice Through The Looking Glass' inspired reception area. There are mirrors and chandeliers assailing you from all directions and shiny chess board tiles to walk across - you almost feel like you're trespassing through some footballer's wives boudoir. And what to make of the suit of armour guarding the entrance to the bar area? I was half expecting it to come to life and chase me up to my room shouting 'off with his head'! There was more hazard to encounter on that particular trip too - this time from the stripy carpet in the corridors. You really don't want to stay at this hotel and pop a handful of happy pills. Once I had reached the safety of my room, however, it was sumptuously furnished, although somehow I felt the room was a tad too small for all of the things in it. Unfortunately this particular room overlooked the dreaded air-con units mentioned in other reviews (which was ironically also overlooked by this usually keen eyed reviewer). First thing in the morning this boomed into life and I thought an aeroplane was taxi-ing on the roof. However, without any quibbling I was offered a room on the other side of the building and in fact this other room was also a much more sober affair of muted browns and beige. I was delighted. There were an abundance of staff here (no, not in my room, I mean generally). At one point I arrived at reception and there were 4 of them squeezed in behind the desk. I wondered if they were perhaps playing an impromptu game of sardines - particularly when the door to the office opened and a 5th prospective player appeared. Perhaps that's all there is to do in Guernsey when the weather's a bit dodgy? Breakfast was delicious, with an approximate ratio of one waiter for every two guests although I did find the tables a little bit close to each other. (Oh no not another game of sardines ??) So, would I stay there again? Possibly but only if my regular haunt was fully booked or if there was a special offer on. I didn't try the evening meals nor the cocktails but apparently both are worth checking out, so a one night stay could be on the cards another time and I might even invite all of the staff to my room...........

Room Tip: Certain rooms overlook a very noisy air-con unit. Due to the design of the hotel the noise gets '...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Miss_Snooty

Dear Miss_Snooty,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay at The Duke of Richmond Hotel. I am pleased that we were able to ensure you had a memorable visit and that our newly refurbished reception area and rooms have left a lasting impression.

We hope that you will visit us again when David, Orlando and their teams will be waiting with cocktail and restaurant menus ready! Thank you for choosing The Duke of Richmond and I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I have been a guest at the Duke of Richmond on countless occasions over the years, for a variety of events, and whether it's a private function for 100 people or a simple afternoon tea for 2 (as was my experience yeserday), the overall quality of the food and service never ceases to impress, not to mention the professionalism of their staff is what you would expect from somewhere like the Beverly Wilshire! They have recently undergone extensive upgrades which has surely contributed to a well deserved fourth star... and at four stars I would say this hotel is still underrated!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank msilvestri
DukeRichmond, General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear msilvestri

Thank you for your recent review following your visit for afternoon tea at the weekend. It has been a real pleasure to welcome to you the hotel over the years for various functions, etc., and I am so glad the recent refurbishment and improvements you found met with your approval.

We look forward to following your budding acting career in Hollywood with interest and wish you every success with it and hope you will continue to come and visit us whilst on your trips back home to Guernsey.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I don't usually leave reviews as a rule, but felt compelled to share with others what a wonderful short break my Fiancée and I recently had at the Duke of Richmond. The newly refurbished hotel is an absolute delight visually and the staff really cannot do enough to make you feel at home. In my opinion better than the OGH (which has 5 stars) - and I am a Senior Lecturer in Tourism & Hospitality, so I should have some idea! Will definitely use again if visiting the island.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter W

Dear Peter W

Thank you so much for your kind review following your recent stay with us, which was even more meaningful coming from someone as qualified and experienced as yourself. It was a real pleasure to meet you and your fiancée and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future and in the meantime, I would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

My girlfriend and I spent 4 nights at Duke of Richmond in mid August, and really can't speak highly enough of this hotel. From the moment we arrived, our treatment from the staff was outstanding. I cannot recall any particular names, but they made you feel special, without fawning over you constantly

The room was delightful in decor, and the bed was the most comfortable thing I've ever fallen into after a day's sightseeing / eating / being a tourist in general. The housekeeping staff did a great job as you'd hope. A nice touch that they even pop around in the evening to see if everything's ok, and offer you heir bag of goodies to replenish your stock if you want! The only downside is that we were in room 207 which is above the air conditioning / fan structure which isn't quiet by any stretch, but you get used to it.

The breakfasts were very good, nice selection of continental and cooked breakfast for those with hearty appetites. Didn't eat there in the evening, but did order sandwiches to the room one night, which arrived promptly and were decent

The pool is pretty small, but nice enough to have a splash around in.

Location wise, it's worth knowing that it's a lovely 10 minute downhill walk into town with stunning views. Of course, that means that it's pretty sharp incline on the way back, I'd not fancy that walk so much if I were elderly or pushing a buggy.

I can honestly say that this is the best hotel I have ever stayed in, and if I was heading back to Guernsey, it would be the first choice for sure

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper it may be worth getting a room that doesn't overlook the pool, as...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
DukeRichmond, General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear Damian F,

It was a pleasure to be able to welcome you to The Duke of Richmond last month and thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. The Team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and it always gives me great pleasure to share comments such as yours with them.

Thank you for choosing The Duke of Richmond Hotel for your recent visit to Guernsey and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel from 30/08-01/09 and credit where credit is due this hotel is FANTASTIC.We have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world and this one is without a doubt up there with the best.The decor is beautiful and the service 5star,the staff make you feel very welcome. Paco,Juan and Taibert but to name a few go out of their way and exceed their duties to make your stay welcoming.
I would recommend the Alderney suite for a truly remarkable stay,this suite is large with a balcony
sun loungers and a side sea view and a 6ft bed,plenty of storage space.All rooms I believe have an evening turndown service and chocolates placed on your pillow.
Breakfast choice is extensive and excellent.Evening menu choice is ok but the food is excellent.As previously stated on reviews the hotel is on top of a fairly steep hill but we walked up and down many times without a problem.Taxi fare from seafront only £4.50 after midnight.
This was our first visit to Guernsey definitely not our last and without a doubt back to the DOR.
Honestly I can not see how anyone could be disappointed with this hotel.

Room Tip: Junior suites good value the hotel has 3 for 2 offers
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank welshtravellerUk
DukeRichmond, General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear welshtravellerUk,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with some feedback following your stay with us at The Duke of Richmond. I am delighted that we were able to make your first visit to the island a memorable one and it will be my pleasure to share your kind comments with my team, particularly Paco, Juan and Taibert who will be happy to hear that their efforts to ensure all our guests have a memorable stay with us have been so well received.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Duke of Richmond very soon.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

During the last 20 years I enjoyed my stays (normally for three weeks) at the Duke of Richmond, although it is sometimes a bit tough to get there from the northern part of Germany. The staff always was and still is fantastic. I felt highly welcome and they all fulfilled my wishes just in the moment I thought about them. The food was very good as usually, however, the variety was a bit smaller than in earlier years. Nevertheless I enjoyed my time in the restaurant and in the bar. Sweet little Olga, Orlando and David were perfect, I cannot name all the others who did a real good job. I further want to say thank you to Mr. Purtill who also gave the feeling of coming home again. And, by the way, I always have the good weather. The new decorated rooms are lovely. Thank you also to the room maids who have an awful lot of work to keep everything clean and shiny.
I look forward to next year, where I hopefully still can afford to travel to the beautiful island of Guernsey for another stay in the DoR. Gabriela

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Gabriela S
DukeRichmond, General Manager at The Duke of Richmond Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear Gabriela S

Thank you for your very prompt review following your recent stay with us and for all of its kind comments therein, they are much appreciated by us all, especially by David, Olga and Orlando.

It has been a pleasure and a privilege to have you stay with us every summer for the last 20 years and I am so glad you like the changes brought about since the hotel joined the Red Carnation Collection and I hope you will continue to visit us for at least another 20 more years!

In the meantime, I would assure you of my best attention at all times.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Peter Port
Best Western Moores Central Hotel
Hotel Bella Luce
Hotel Bella Luce
#2 of 9 in St Martin

Been to The Duke of Richmond Hotel? Share your experiences!