“Short brreak”

Best Western Moores Central Hotel
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We have just returned from our 2nd visit to this hotel.
We stayed for 3 nights so we could catch up with friends who live in Guernsey.
This year we booked a superior room and were not disappointed. Room 315 was at the front of the hotel and we could see the port from our window. The room and bathroom were both very clean. The only problem was that the pillows were a bit flat, but another one was soon supplied once I requested one at reception. There was a bit of noise from outside late at night as stated in other reviews, but it did not worry us and did not go on for long. Plus the bed was so comfy I think we would have slept through the noon gun going off if it was right outside our room.
We requested fresh milk to take back to the room for tea and this was supplied readily. Little things like this make all the difference. The breakfast was one of the best we have had. Prepared fresh and served up piping hot.
The hotel is being decorated and is looking good. Nice choice of colour and carpets.
The staff once again were very friendly. Always ready with a hello and a smile. They certainly made the stay more enjoyable.
Hopefully we will be back next year.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SJFarn
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear SJFarn

Thank you for your comprehensive review following your recent stay with us and for all of its kind comments therein, they are much appreciated. It was particularly pleasing to read of your approval of the improvements you noticed since your last visit, as our on-going refurbishment programme continues apace.

I am also glad that you found the staff at the hotel friendly and hospitable and that you plan on returning next year, when it will be our pleasure and privilege to be of service to you again.

In the meantime, I would thank you for your valued custom to date and assure you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at this wonderful hotel a couple of times, but the friendliness and warmth of the staff always amaze us. We arrived at the hotel before 10am and our room was ready with a beautiful bunch of roses to welcome us back ... talk about making us feel welcome ... Wow! Thank you Mel and the rest of the staff.

The hotel has also undergone a refurb and is looking really good.

The Conservatory Restaurant in the hotel has an excellent special menu that is great value for money. The food is great and the service friendly and excellent. We had to leave early one morning and placed our breakfast order the night before and the food was ready for us in the breakfast room ... great service!

We love this hotel and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Dear Siegi H

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review following your recent stay with us and for all of its kind comments therein, they are much appreciated by us all.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us once again and I am so glad that you like the results of the ongoing refurbishment so far and found the staff to be as hospitable as ever.

I hope we shall have the privilege of welcoming you both back to Moores in the not distant future and in the meantime, I would thank you for your valued custom to date and assure you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a brilliant location for visitors to the island, the hotel itself is much bigger than you originally think it has 3 floors of bedrooms, the breakfast room, a restaurant and a bar (which serves food too)!!
The staff where friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and the bed was comfy the only downsides for me was the lack of any kind of view the noise for the boiler room waking me up at 7 every morning and the shower not providing consistent hot water even during the early evening. But other than that is was good!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear J H

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us and I am glad that you found most things to your liking and that the hotel’s central location was convenient for your stay.

I can only apologise for the issue you experienced with the boiler and hot water and will investigate this matter further immediately.

In the meantime, it was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I would thank you for your valued custom to date and would hope we have the privilege of welcoming you back to Moores in the not too distant future.

Assuring you of my best attention at all times.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Excellent trip, hotel staff very helpful and accommodating,with the extra attraction of their own Jacuzzi,sauna and gym.
choice of several cooked breakfasts which were excellent and also general buffet breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Elaine Sheridan

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review following your recent stay with us over Easter. I am glad you had an excellent trip and that you found the staff to be hospitable and the hotel’s facilities and breakfasts to your liking.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I hope we shall have the pleasure and privilege of welcoming you back to Moores again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

If anyone wants to spend time in a hotel in Guernsey in the Channel Islands, can I recommend Best Western Moores Central Hotel. I have stayed with them many times and never have they failed to offer me, and their other return guests, a truly relaxing visit. With reception staff that would move mountains if you asked them! You truly get PERSONAL service from people who care.

Its the attention to their detail in bedrooms and restaurants that I cannot praise highly enough.

Its in the heart of St.Peter Port, 3 minutes walk away from the beautiful marina and bus terminus 7 minute walk away.

Its a hotel that has to be tried, at least once, you will not be disappointed.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Dear catswhiskers_12

Thank you so much for your very kind review following your recent stay with us, it is much appreciated by us all.

Our very central location is obviously one of the hotel’s main attributes, but we also pride ourselves on the hospitality we constantly strive to offer and I am glad that you continue to find everything at the hotel to your liking.

It is always a pleasure to be of service to you and I hope we shall have the privilege of welcoming you back to Moores yet again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

This is the 3rd. time I have stayed there. This time was for 2 nights. The catering and
restaurant(s) have upped their game considerably. The rooms are clean and well furnished
with solid wood furniture. I had a room at the rear of the hotel so I did not have any noise
problems. The staff are friendly and efficient, breakfast choices are good It is a 3* establishment and will probably stay that way because I notice
this old stone based hotel has narrow hallways and this would be hugely expensive to change.
There is no need to. It is a very good standard for a 3* and I am sure that with its central location and good breakfast, and dinner that it has a very loyal customer base..
I will continue to stay there in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank thekiwikid
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear kiwikid

Thank you for your review following what was your third visit to the hotel and for all of its kind comments therein, they are much appreciated. It was most pleasing to read of your opinion that standards have risen at the hotel particularly in the restaurant and we will pass your comments on to the staff.

You are quite correct in saying we have a loyal and repeat customer base and I hope it will not be too long before we have the privilege and pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again yourself.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

The location in St Peter Port is ideal, except for two areas:

(1) It is in a restricted area for cars, so if you are driving it is difficult to get near it.
(2) It is opposite a lively bar / restaurant which can be noisy at night.

Reception staff were very good, except that it would be useful to have some sort of printed map showing the parking areas. The parking is free, and about 5-10 minutes walk away, but you need to know where the 2 / 4 /10 hour parking zones are. If I had been told that the 10 hour zones were at the far end of the North Beach Car Park, that would have been good.

The room was clean, but very small. Probably around 4m x 4m. I am a Best Western Diamond card holder and usually get an upgrade, but I was told that the hotel was fully-booked. Good for the hotel business out of season, but not for me. There were adequate furnishings in the room, and tea / coffee making facilities. There was constant fan noise from the spa area. The view was of a solid brick wall, but at least it did not face the front of the hotel.

Biscuits were not up the normal BW franchise standards - caramelised biscuits, the type you get in budget hotel chains.

The bathroom had two bars of soap in the wall cabinet, but no separate shampoos, etc. There was a bulk bottle mounted on the wall over the bath. I thought this practice had been stopped due to cross-infection concerns? Individual packs, made of recyclable material, would have been better.

The restaurant staff, service and food was excellent. But, although only staying two nights, the dinner menu was exactly the same. Breakfast was a cold buffet and cooked to order. Good, but the mushrooms are probably out of a tin.

When checking out, again reception staff were very helpful and printed out boarding passes for me.

I would not return here again, or to Guernsey, but that is beyond the scope of this review.

Room Tip: Not at the front of the hotel, due to potential noise from the premises opposite, and the fact that...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Dear ecomm

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write your comprehensive review following your recent stay with us and I am pleased to learn that you found most things to your liking.

I can only apologise that as a valued Best Western Diamond Card holder, that we were unable to upgrade you on this occasion, but this was only because of a lack of availability. During the summer months our Table d’hôte menu changes on a daily basis, but at the time of your visit during the latter part of March, we were offering a special promotional Spring menu which was running for a two week period. I am glad, however, that you enjoyed your meals taken at the hotel and I am able to advise you that the mushrooms served at breakfast are indeed fresh.

Whilst I am sorry that you will be unlikely to visit Guernsey again, I would thank you for your custom to date and assure you of my best attention at all times should the situation change.