“Great Staff & Convenient Location”

Best Western Moores Central Hotel
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
“Great Staff & Convenient Location”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Second visit to this well run traditional style hotel. Lovely staff and excellent cuisine in either restaurant. Good fast free wi-fi. Our room a bit noisy with nearby high street revellers on weekend nights. Much nicer location than being stuck out of town. No parking, but a car is not an advantage with excellent bus services on Island and taxi rank 2 minutes walk. Looking forward to going again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear NickC39

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us and for all
your kind comments therein, they are much appreciated.

I am glad you experienced both the Conservatory and the Library Bar for
meals and found them to your liking and that our central location was so
convenient for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your third visit in the not
too distant future and in the meantime, I would thank you for your
valued custom and assure you of my best attention at all times.

Stephen Purtill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
High Wycombe, UK
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Due to business in Guernsey, I stayed at the Moores hotel for couple of nights in February 2013. As it was for only 2 nights and midweek, on arrival I was upgraded to one of the suites on the top floor (there is a lift, so don't worry). This has never happened to me in the past, so I was extremely pleased. On entering the room, all looked good, large bathroom with separate shower, large lounge with sofa and wide screen TV, and bedroom with an enormous bed that could've slept 4 (if anybody has tried this, do please say). Views were over the main High Street and harbour area although I wouldn't suggest leaving he windows open as there was significant noise in the morning with deliveries to local companies.

Decor was typically Best Western. Lets put it his way, I've stayed in Best Western's around the world and they all have the same bedding, furniture and carpet. God only knows where they source this stuff from as most of it felt new, but looked very 80s! However, a lot of the furniture was broken, especially drawer fronts in the lounge.

Like somebody else reported, there was no hot water (or any water). In fact, on turning on the shower, it spat water a couple of times and seemed to shutoff. Guessing that the room hadn't been occupied for a couple of days, I turned the taps on the bath and waited for the air block to clear. Eventually, I got hot water, but it did take about 10 minutes of faffing.

The gym facilities in the hotel are generally empty of people, but then most of the machines and weights are rusting away due to the close proximity of the sauna and jacuzzi. Food in the hotel is very good, especially the carvery, and there is a good selection of beers and ales, great for the solo business traveller. However, wifi is rubbish. My colleagues and I complained about this, but it's very hit and miss if it / when it works

All in all, this is a pleasant place to stay and very local to the harbour.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear DanielJW

Thank you for your review following your stay in February which I am
glad to see you appear to have enjoyed on the whole.

We do have a rolling programme of upgrading and improvements at Moores, and I believe the Wifi coverage has improved since your stay as we have put in more cabling. Your comments that Best Western Hotels all have the same furnishings made us smile as we are all independent hotels and most of us source our own fittings and designers - but maybe we all have similar tastes.

In the meantime, I would thank you for your valued custom and assure you
of my best attention at all times. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Sark, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Having stayed several times on previous occasions, I was looking forward to another faultless stay. Unfortunately, this was not the case. Having returned from a two week cruise on a luxury liner, this stay was to be the "icing on the cake". Arriving after a long day - morning disembarkation at Southampton then a long time at the airport - I was looking forward to a good dinner and a relaxing bath. Dinner was fantastic, and i retired to my room. This was not as had been booked some months earlier - I was allocated a room at the (noisy) front of the building rather than at the back as had been specifically requested. The low point came after dinner, when I tried to run a bath - and there was no hot water! After trying again in the morning, I spoke to an unhelpful (male) receptionist who suggested that I run the water for 20 minutes! It later transpired that one of the hotel's boilers was "down" and that no-one had bothered to check! In spite of my making my annoyance quite clear, I was only offered a small discount. I shall not be returning to Moores Hotel, which is a great shame as I had previously enjoyed staying here. Be warned.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank sarkanglican
Aufwiedersehen93, Owner at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Sark Anglican

I was sorry to read your review and that you had a disappointing end to your holiday. I was aware that there had been a problem with the hot water and to this end we had given you a discount on your accommodation which you accepted on departure. The plumbers were able to replace a motor in the pump the next morning although this is little consolation to you. I am sorry that on this occasion we were unable to allocate you a room at the rear of the hotel. Perhaps on future visits you might consider staying at one of our sister hotels which have less central locations and are therefore quieter, and where we also offer discounts to our friends from Sark.
Karel Harris
Managing Director
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for one night, stopping over on our journey to Herm. We stayed in the Saumarez Suite which was huge, and not what we expected at all. Large king sized bed, en-suite, separate toilet, microwave, large lounge and even a small kitchen area.

Breakfast was very good and filling. Good choice of cereals and the cooked breakfast had everything.

The only reason I didn't score it five is because it was noisy at times during the night and there was no view.

Would definitely use as a stopover again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Alan R

Thank you for your review following your stay at Moores en route to the
neighbouring island of Sark and which I am so glad you enjoyed. Your
comments are much appreciated, although I regret that noise can
sometimes be an issue due to our very central location. If you stay with us in the future you might like to try one of our other two suites which although slightly smaller than the De Saumarez have nicer outlooks.

I hope you both enjoyed your visit to Sark and that we will have the
pleasure of welcoming you back to Moores for a longer stay on your next
trip the Channel Islands.

In the meantime, I would thank you for your valued custom and assure you
of my best attention at all times.

Alderney, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Friendly, helpful staff. Great central location but not too noisy either. Really good prices and great value for money. The breakfast room as lovely and bright and good was lovely. Hotel has character.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Aufwiedersehen93, Owner at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Katie483
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, and we are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope we will see you again soon.

Karel Harris
MD
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed five nights in June. Alerted by the reviews here I asked for a quiet room, which we were given. But others in our party whose rooms were at the front were bothered both by Saturday night revellers and street cleaners at 5.00am. Otherwise, this is an excellent hotel. The food was well above average for a 3 star and the customer service from the reception desk was excellent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Aufwiedersehen93, General Manager at Best Western Moores Central Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Alan D

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here at Moores and
for all of its kind comments therein, they are much appreciated by us
all, but particularly by the kitchen brigade and the reception team.

I am sorry that some of your party were disturbed by late night revellers - it is the downside of our central location but fortunately we do have many rooms at the rear of the hotel which are quieter. We hope you will come back and stay with us soon.

In the meantime, I would thank you for your valued custom and assure you
of my best attention at all times.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Slight issue over the room, I was sharing with my 81 year old mum and booked a twin room, but when we arrived, although it was twin beds, they were pushed together like a double! Not best pleased and had to complain so that a porter had to move them apart and put a bedside table between them. The room was just not set up for 2 ladies sharing, but once furniture had been moved, we settled in. We have been before and were welcomed back by the restaurant staff. The food is divine and service impeccable. Great menu choices and excellent breakfasts. I have a mushroom allergy and all the staff were made aware. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the town and port. The hotel provides a free tour of the island on Tuesdays and Thursdays but you need to book. We did the tour last year and again this year and Sam the driver and guide was excellent and very informative. Well worth it for a trip to see all the Island and get some history. All staff helpful, polite and friendly, nothing is too much trouble. Wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: If you want a twin room, make sure the beds are apart! Some rooms are smaller than others and this r...