“Unacceptable room, 1970's Blackpool experience”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Peter Port
The Captain Cook Hotel
Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
runcorn
“Unacceptable room, 1970's Blackpool experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

I visited this hotel in june, 2010 in my first trip to the channel islands. The hotel on arrival looks fantastic from outside, its up a short hill from the city centre, not too steep i might add. However the staircases up to my room were like something from a poor/ average 70's Blackpool hotel or b and b. The room was a surprise but in a bad way. As a single tourist im used to paying over the odds and getting the worst room but this took the biscuit! It was an awful room dingey and small. it even had an awful pre- digital tv ie an old portable- from the early 90's by the look of it.

The shower was a basic one not a proper electric one and the bathroom had a angled wall where the roof no doubt angled in so i had to make sure i didnt bash my head in everytime i used it. It was right in the attic area. The bed was a basic cot type bed and had a nasty wooden head board with a light at the side. Also an added feature of the room was a radiator that was hanging off the wall! Also an awful old wardrobe and bedside cabinet.

It all gave the impression of an awful british b and b from the 70's in Blackpool or Rhyl? This isnt what i was expecting. Id actually booked through the Channel Islands Tourist Board in april and expected a decent standard of Hotel especially as they were charging me £48 per night b and b for this hovel room which was frankly a digrace.

The hallways down the staircase seemed to have items of furniture like dressing tables positioned on the landings for some reason and it was very in need of a total re- furb.

The breakfast room was acceptable and the food and drinks ok. The bar was normal with scatterings of chairs and a plasma, not very welcoming but how many hotel bars are? The staff at the hotel were friendly and the hard worked eastern european workers in the hotel worked damn hard i can say and spoke decent english.

I wouldnt stay at this place again and wonder why the tourist board recommend and send tourists here. For the money it was a major let down and frankly unacceptable, it was a Blackpool 70's style hotel which today youd pay £25 for that room (in Blackpool or the like)but at twice the cost here.

On the plus side it was near to the city centre and there were local bars and eateries. My holiday in the channel islands was amazing but having to return nightly to this establishment made me depressed and it was a running joke with my friends staying elsewhere!

Couldnt wait to leave it to be honest. Perhaps other rooms are more acceptable but i can only tell you about my experience.

Room Tip: Dont stay here, get better value and experience elsewhere?
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank lordfox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

We have just returned from 10 days at the Captain Cook hotel and we had a very enjoyable time there. It's quite old fashioned but very clean, comfortable and quiet. We stayed on a half board basis and the breakfasts and evening meals were very good with plenty of choice. The "pudding" was particularly nice as they were a selection of cakes from the Victor Hugo boulangerie!
The hotel is set on a hill about 10 minutes walk down into the town and the docks. There are a few bars nearby, but the best ones were in town.
All in all, I would stay again and would recommend it to other people.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

We have just returned from a week's stay at the Captain Cook and thoroughly enjoyed our time in Guernsey. Nothing is too much trouble for the owners and staff alike. They were helpful from the moment we arrived until we left a week later. I asked to borrow a hairdryer and was given one to retain for the week. The room was clean with a valet and fresh towels daily. Fantastic shower (wish we had one like it at home!), good selection of Sky TV channels. Very good comprehensive breakfast.(However a selection of fruit could be a welcome addition) All in all, a very quiet, respectable hotel. We have paid far more in the past for a lot less. The room had comprehensive tea and coffee making facilities that are refreshed daily. On our return home today, I realised I had lost quite a valuable earring and phoned the hotel just to check if I had mislaid it there. They instigated a search and phoned me back within a few minutes to let me know they had found it and would be sending it back to me. I was absolutely delighted. Would recommend this hotel to anybody who wants all the facilities with the comfort of a very happy atmosphere - and will most definitely go again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Breakfast basic and lacking in choice, half hour running shower to get hot water, dampest smallest room i have stayed in not worth £20 a night would never stay again

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Dazza9568

Travelers are raving about these St Peter Port hotels

Hants
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed 7 nights and had a great holiday. The owners and staff are very friendly and welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. The breakfast is very good and so is the evening dinner. The rooms are more than adequate, especially if you are out all day and just want somewhere to sleep at night. Plenty of hot water. Close to The Victor Hugo House/Museum and just a short walk into town. Very good value for a modest budget hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank G K
Mittagong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

We enjoyed our first visit to Guernsey and were delighted with our choice of hotel. The hotel was very welcoming and the room was perfect for our needs. Everything was clean and comfortable. The staff were pleasant, friendly and helpful. The meals (breakfasts and dinners) were nicely cooked and presented. We would certainly stay there again.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

Friendly staff particularly on the main desk. Mary and Reda always make us feel welcome and the room was good particularly at the price paid. On an island with such a high cost of living i don't know how they manage to keep their prices so low! I think people expect too much sometimes. Highly recommended at their prices. I noticed that people had trouble with the television (I just switched it off and on!) this is due to the digital switchover.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple