“Really lovely hotel”

St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
“Really lovely hotel”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Loved this hotel from the first sight of it to the room very nice and quite good value for the cost of our 3 night stay, we paid for two nights and the third night was free! The hotel overall was spotless like the rooms and as for the beds, well they were very comfortable, the best I'd say I've slept in. The first night we stayed their were 7 of us that ate in the main restaurant. The food was good a bit pricey and quite small portions. The breakfast was very good, a buffet style and lots of it to choose from. I cannot say anything bad really about the hotel, except the staff, they need lessons on how to smile, very miserable. The barman in the main bar from Liverpool was the only one that I'd say had a laugh with us. Oh and the bar meals are very good too.

Room Tip: We stayed in a garden view room overlooking the gardens and fountain, we had patio doors that opened...
1 Thank Kryponut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Guernsey, Channel Islands
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I've noted a couple of reviews concerning the unusual layout of the spa area - especially the location of changing rooms at this hotel. The reason the locker rooms are away from the pool/wet area is that they are also used by people using the Beauty Salon who need to change for treatments such as massage or sun showers. These people & I include myself here do not want to tread through wet floors. Thus the shower area (15-30 seconds walk from the locker room) is used to dry off & don a robe for the return to the locker & your belongings.
This spa is however not without fault & there are many. In recent months I have arrived to find the girls on reception sprawled on the floor painting their toe/finger nails, I have also seen them having mint throwing fights, chatting away in the back room on their mobiles & ignoring clients who are left to help themselves to towel/robes & find their own way around the facility. Cleanliness is a big issue here, or rather the lack of it. The pool frequently has a thick black scum line around it - the last time I complained about it I was told that the cleaner was on holiday!! The sauna, steam & shower areas are only ever cleaned with water, NEVER are these areas disinfected, I dread to think what lies within the 1000's of cracks that pervade the gents steam room ( I can't speak about the ladies area) -these cracks have been present for the last 15 or so years & must contain a veritable farmyard od bacteria. The jacuzzi is often under temperature & the tiles & filter in this are also frequently filthy, the tiles are seldom scrubbed as the black mould on the grout shows.

Toilets in the male area are difficult & sometimes impossible to flush, due to slow filling tanks & often when using them one is presented with the previous users deposit.

The facility lacks a Manager & has done for six months or so now. I believe a beautician is overseeing the running of the facility, but she obviously has no training in the running of a Health Suite.

It's interesting to note that St. Pierre Park NEVER respond to any comments on this site. This to me shows how interested they are in the opinion of their customers/guests. The management here are lazy & have been in their jobs too long, new blood is needed to buck up the staff & introduce new ideas into a now very stale establishment.

Very sad.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Great Hotel, stayed for 3 nights from 1/03 to 05/03. My room was very nice with a view over the rear of the hotel. Used the swimming pool on a couple of occasions and was very imprested with the facilities.

Dined in the first night in the main restaurant and this is the only area we (six of stayed) found was a little lacking. The starters and desserts were fine but the Crab and Prawn Spaghetti my wife and I had was not so good as was the Chicken Spaghetti friend had. The girl who seemed to be in charge of the restaurant and took the orders could be a bit more friendly.

All other staff were great and we had no complaints and this very true of the Bar Staff. Also the bar food was fine and can be highly recommended. (Try the Swiss Cheese and Mushroom Burger – very nice)

Breakfast was very good with a good variety of choice.
Don’t be put of by a couple of negative observations, this hotel is very good and if I come back to the island, this is where I will stay

1 Thank ken s
Earth
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This wasn't my first choice of hotel for a business visit to Guernsey but Moore's was sold out along with most of the other hotels allowed on my corporate booking system.

Check in was ok but not the most pleasant receptionist with minimal smiling, eye contact and conversation. I do remember her name but I won't repeat it here.

The first room I was assigned was room 415. This is a nice large room but has one major draw back - it has a large extractor fan in the ceiling about 1m x 1m this makes a lot of noise. There is no way I could have got to sleep in this room unless I had been sedated. I immediately returned to reception and rejected the room. My somewhat sullen receptionist told me they were full but she would see what they could do. A couple of minutes later she returned with a key to 163 this is a twin room and my original was a double.

The room itself was acceptable although none of the furniture matched and the wardrobe was a bit rickety. The bathroom was fine and had a good selection of toiletries.

The hotel has a generic set of features to most rooms in that they have a balcony or patio door. This can be a double edged sword. On the one hand in the summer it is nice if you want to sit outside or if you are a smoker you can smoke outside your room. On the other if people are talking outside when you are trying to sleep you will get disturbed as I found out at 2AM when someone two rooms away was outside talking at the top of his voice on a mobile phone. As it disturbed me it probably disturbed anyone in 155 to 165 and in 255 to 265 as well. I appreciate this isn't actually the hotels fault but be warned this can happen.

Whilst I'm on the subject of being disturbed there is a an aircon unit which kicks in at about 0630 and is in a basement area outside room 155. If you are in this area it will disturb you at this time although it did turn off by about 0700 but long enough to ensure that you will be awake at this time.

I ate in the bar which was pleasant enough with reasonably priced food and attentive staff. There are two large screen TVs if watching sport is your thing. If you want a bit of quiet then don't sit near the bar as the floor there is very loud whenever someone walks on it. Watch out for the price of a pint of Peroni at £5.35 a pint it is seriously overpriced.

The spa area is, er, different. When you walk to the spa reception you will be given a robe and towel then you have to go down a corridor to the changing room. To get to the pool you have to go back past reception and into another area before getting to the pool. Here you can leave your robe and towel before going through to the pool. The pool is pleasant enough being nice and warm along with being very clean.

Going back to the male second stage changing area are the sauna and steam rooms these were both very clean and well lit and at a good temperature. Because this is a male only area (I guess the ladies have their own version) the sauna and steam rooms are nude (or at everyone was when I was there). When finished have shower with the good quality toiletries and take the long walk back to the changing room. Tip, take some flip flops to wear.

Breakfast was excellent and service started at 0700. High quality ingredients and plenty of fresh fruit along with warm pastries. This was the best part of the stay as far as I was concerned..

Checkout. My sullen receptionist was back for checkout. No smiles, conversation or eye contact or even asking me how my stay had been.

Overall if you are used to Marriott standard this is a little step below that but it is above a Holiday Inn / Hilton standard.

I wouldn't choose to spend my own money here but on business it's ok.

Room Tip: Avoid room 415 at all costs if you want to sleep. Be wary of rooms 155 to 165 (odd only) and probabl...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Des_Gruntled
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed here for two nights and found the staff excellent, the room spacious, comfortable and well appointed, and the breakfasts delicious (I'm a greedy person who appreciates a proper breakfast when I'm away on business as it makes a change from the prunes & all-bran diet at home). I really liked the Nespresso coffee machine in the room - nice touch.

The hotel is about a mile and a half from the centre of St Peter Port which means you'll need a hire car/taxi/bus to get in and out of town unless, like me, you enjoy walking. In fact, I think the Guernsey is best done on foot which is why I did the hour and a half walk from the hotel to the airport this morning.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gary M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed at this hotel with my partner during our trip to Guernsey for a very special ocassion. And the hotel did not let us down in any possible way. We arrived to Guernsey in the morning and our room was prepared for us within an hour after our arrival but well before the regular check-in time (which we thought was nice of the hotel staff). Our room was well maintained and clean, and the bathroom was expecially nice with a big bath good for two. The pool and sauna at the spa zone were enjoyable and clean too...with only a few people using them. Meals at the hotel were delicious and we trully enjoyed our breakfasts and ocassional dinners at the hotel restaurant. The only inconvenience was that we did not rent a car and it took us about 30 minutes to walk from the hotel to the town centre/piere but it was a enjoyable walk anyways. Would we stay there again - yes.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DenisD600
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Avoid at all costs. Worst spa experience of my life. Entered the ladies change room to find a 11/12 year old boy running around making a menace of himself, he pushed past me (and other patrons) and nearly caused me to fall heavily (being heavily pregnant at the time). The cleaner observed, walked past and grunted in my direction in a foreign language. Assuming this was an "are you ok?" by the tone, said yes ok thank you. On entering the relaxation room, found a sulky approx 15yr old girl on mobile phone with her dirty converse boots on the lounge and a geriatric gentleman "letting it all hang out" shall we say. The remainder of my visit was a continued comedy of errors that I won't bore you with needless to say I won't be recommending the hotel or its facilities to anyone. Went for the Aromatherapy Associates facial which is not otherwise available in Guernsey. Don't bother save yourself the time and effort go a reputable spa in Guernsey like the Bella Luce Spa or OGH spa.

3 Thank Paddo_Girl_77
Cobo Bay Hotel
Cobo Bay Hotel
#3 of 6 in Castel
Best Western Moores Central Hotel

Been to St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!