“Very helpful staff”

and 1 more site!
Les Cotils Christian Retreat
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I stayed for two nights. My room although small (it was a single), had everything expected - except curtains. the blind failed to keep out the light just below the window/ morning sunlight so sleep was difficult. It was a shame as the bed was comfortable. Despite this the friendliness of the staff and the food more than made up for this. I cannot praise the staff enough - they were fantastic.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank archerdianephil

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I'm sorry that people seem to expect an over abundance of Christianity, but as an independent traveller without affiliation to any religion I will review as I find.
I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights at possibly the quietist time of the year (January), when most other hotels are closed, or as with this hotel were undertaking decoration or refurbishment.
My decision to stay here was based on three things
1. Location. Set on the hilltop above the hustle of St Peter Port amidst open grounds and adjoining the park and community recreation area of the Beau Sejour Leisure centre. You are able to walk mostly traffic free down into the town (not for the mobility impaired).
2. Food. Meeting the expectations of my last visit. The food is simply superb for the price.
3. Price. Out of season I paid £62 per night for a basic bedroom and full English breakfast for 2 people. This was cheaper than a standard B&B nearby. I'm unsure how people cannot see this other than excellent value.
Our room was very basic and very comfortable. The only thing to show any religious aspirations were the Gideon Bible, a crucifix on the wall and the beautiful tranquillity of the location. As said, the hotel is undergoing some modernisation at this time (minimal disruption). It was presently fitted in a style that I presumed was old and scruffy but learnt that it actually "pre-stressed". The shower was unfortunately a 600x600 shower cubicle with a narrow corner entrance fitted into an area designed for a 900x600 enclosure, so beware - walk in sideways and don't drop the shampoo. There is nowhere to place soap etc. and the showerhead did not hold in a fixed place. A bath may be a better bet but this depends on the refurbishment. There is no telephone or TV at the moment (like) but there shortly will be (boo - I dislike people who seem to always follow my stays and watch TV 24 hours a day in an adjoining room). The rooms will also have tea and coffee making facilities, but I quite liked the nearby kitchen where you are able to make drinks and snacks and share a fridge.
I'm unsure what spiritual warmth is, but the staff are very professional, other guests seem to include members of the clergy, and there are two non-compulsary religeous services per day.
A note about Dinner. The service concludes at 7:45pm which shocked me because I am normally busy and eat late. May I thank the hotel for this decision. It caused me to finish work earlier, eat a wonderful meal, relax and have a peaceful nights sleep.
At the end of the alterations I would hope for a TV free area for guests to read and relax - it seemed rather thoughtless of a fellow guest to enter the lounge where people were reading and promptly turn on the TV in search of some minless soap - pehaps this is the lack of Christian ethos complained of.
There is WiFi only in the Reception/TV lounge area at this time.
A post refurbishment review would be interesting, but I will happily stay here again as it is now, and won't be looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: This reveiw is based on the basic room with inland veiw, I would expect the upgraded rooms with a se...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank DonaldandJaqueline
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We were quite disappointed with Les Cotils. We chose it from the Christian holiday handbook but we felt it lacked the Christian ethos. Our room was very basic, with a bath but no shower and cost £88 for a double. We asked if we could move to a room with shower and this cost us £94. The shower needs a deep clean or even re-grouting as it was dirty. It's ok if you are on a church weekend away or youth conference, but trying to run it as a hotel doesn't work. As an ex-receptionist myself I understand that it can be difficult to stay jovial all the time, however one thing that sticks in my mind is the fact that 'you never get a second chance to make a first impression'. Les Cotils has some lovely staff and magnificent views but I don't take away good memories of our stay there. I won't be
returning.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Millish
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Wonderful location and view was amazing, good food and generous portions - however there seemed to be a lack of spiritual warmth about the place. Some accommodation in need of redecorating. Won't be rushing back if I'm really honest.....

Room Tip: Sea view otherwise it could be depressing
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Sue O
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Like other reviews not the normal, but for the price very good value not sure what the previous review was on about it being expensive most places are double the price!!.
Very family friendly we had two rooms one had a bunk bed and a single for three of our children and a cot was provided for our baby in our room, the rooms are very clean but they do still have a feel of the old hospital rooms, but at that price who cares?
Breakfast was very good and plentiful and served until 9.30 so no rush, the place is very quiet so sleep was not problem.
The best thing was the evening meals £17 for a 3 course meal excellant value and large portions and really good quaility we thought it was excellant.
They even allowed us to use a small conference room next door for drinks before and after to let the kids run around and not desturp other guests, always a worry.
Staff could not have been more helpful really enjoyed our stay and would go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank tracylaura
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I was going to a wedding with my mum and so we booked into here as mum had looked round on a previous visit and like it. We had a twin room which was en suite, the room was very clean and airy. We had a kitchen just round the corner that we could have free drinks and make any meals we required. Breakfast is great...this was included in our room rate. There are 3 lounges, 2 with tvs free wi fi and gret views from all front windows and the grounds.

The only disadvantage is that it is up the hill above St Peter Port and so this is hardgoing when you are going home after a day out as the climb is steep.

Room Tip: Front room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank haylesbeth
Reviewed August 19, 2013

If you appreciate that this is a conference centre with a christian ethos then you can thoroughly enjoy your visit.

There are no bars, and no television tea making or mini bar facilities in the room.

There are small kitchen units where you can help yourself to a tea or coffee, WiFi is available in the lounges, plus there are extensive grounds and easy car parking which is at a real premium in this location on the edge of St Peter Port.

The rooms are en suite and an adequate 3 star type standard without being luxurious. Breakfast provides a good choice.

We found staff friendly and helpful.

This is not a hotel, but provides a convenient, comfortable and reasonably priced base for a stay in Guensey. You may find joining in evening prayer adds an extra dimension to your stay (completely optional!).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 19 in St Peter Port
La Barbarie Hotel
La Barbarie Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Martin

Been to Les Cotils Christian Retreat? Share your experiences!