“Decent food if a little pricey”

Nineteen Bar and Grill
Ranked #40 of 142 Restaurants in St Peter Port
Reviewed August 3, 2018 via mobile

I went yesterday with a few friends to knock a few balls then grab a bite to eat. The bar service was fine and it is good that they will open up a tab. There were quite a few wasps outside, so check your drink!
The table service for food was really good and the food that was delivered was in good time and really good. Portion sizes almost too big.
The prices are on the steep side for what it is but they have clearly spent a lot of money and the general decor and atmosphere was very good and relaxing.
I had the bacon and cheese burger on brioche roll. Burger was homemade, chips on the side were very nice. Maybe a bit of coleslaw would have topped it off nicely but that is not picking.

I will be going back.

It is worth mentioning that I have been on a few other occasions and had the scallops, the Sunday roast and the Tennerfest last year. Each time the food has been very good. The roast in particular.

Reviewed July 23, 2018

This bar offers good food in a lovely part of the town. Outside seating is popular but there is plenty of seating inside.

Reviewed July 19, 2018 via mobile

We stopped off for a round of crazy golf which was good fun although a little pricey for what it was. It was so incredibly hot we decided to stay for a drink and a bite to eat afterwards to recharge which was a mistake.

The staff in general weren't that tentative; in fact no one cleared the table when we were finished until I got someone's attention for the bill, the only response I got at this point was "great, no deserts I can tell the kitchen they can close", well had anyone spoken to us at all we could have saved the kitchen staff 20 minutes. Once I got the bill no one came to take payment I ended up going to the bar and asking to pay, not that the guy cleaning his glasses could give a monkeys. He'd already been strangely abrupt to my wife asking if I was going to come back having got up to go to the loo!

Food wise it was a complete rip off. I ordered a beef sandwich for £6, this was literally just 2 slices of bog standard bread, a slice of beef, smear of horseradish and a piece of rocket! No side salad or crisp in sight. To be fair it didn't have anything on the menu but I assumed that either it was going to be an amazing sandwich or it was going to have something on the side. Again in the interest of being balanced the kids pizza was quite good and for the same price as my sandwich my daughter eat way better than I did.

I just think this bar is taking advantage of the old cliche that you can add a few zeros as it's a golf club. My advice is save that for your members if that's what they like. Otherwise give the waiting staff a lesson in customer service and offer a quality meal for your clients.

4  Thank Tophcat
Reviewed July 11, 2018

I was amazed to find this place which seems t have been open a little while, and which I’d not heard of. It’s got a fancy driveway off the main road and is completely secluded. There is quite a bit of child activity with a pirate playground, and there’s also a putting range which is easily accessed from the restaurant, where you can bu6 a bucket of balls for £4.50 where you can get your youngsters to fire then off while you wait for food.

The menu is enormous ... too big really, but the emphasis is on pizzas and burgers, and probably aimed at the younger crowd. I found the menu a bit intimidating. There’s also a specials board. My friend and I both chose crab and shellfish salad main course which was plentiful and delicious, although light on the crab (which was fresh?) and generous on the shrimps (which obviously had been frozen), priced at £14.50. However when we went to pay we were charged £15 (which we refused!). Meanwhile there were two televisions on and piped music. On the plus side you can walk up an outside staircase (there’s another in case of rain) and can sit outside where mercifully there is no smoking and no tv noise. The staff were efficient and courteous.
I don’t think I’d go there again unless with children. I can get better food at a better price elsewhere, but it was very nice to sit outside.

1  Thank Lawnturtle
Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

I really love this place and it is popular with all ages . The staff are very welcoming and friendly. The first time I visited was for a family meal and the food and the service were excellent and couldn’t be faulted .
The next time I visited with friends for morning coffee and the atmosphere was just as friendly and the service just as good . It is in a lovely setting with some outdoor tables for warmer weather.
I look forward to my next visit .