“A happy experience”

St Georges
Turangi, New Zealand
“A happy experience”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed at St. Georges two years ago and really enjoyed our visit. The room was small, but all we want when we travel is a clean bed and a good shower, so we were well pleased with this clean and tidy place with very helpful and kind staff. The wonderful breakfasts and 'library' were a bonus, as is the proximity to the town and port. We had a day in Sark and then went on to France, so the situation was perfect - and picturesque.
We hope to be back again next year.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lorraine W
Allez2, Owner at St Georges, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your review its nice to be appreciated.
We do actually work very hard to please our guests but it is getting to be an up hill difficult task as peoples demands are outstripping what is physically possible to acheive by one small family. So much so that my dear friend and neighbour is going to stop doing rooms next year, as the expectations and inspections are exhausting her.. Soon all the small places will be closed and everyone will have to pay the huge costs of Hotels with the impersonal bland every room the same look. But then I suppose they will not have to worry about banging their heads on lintels.

Which makes reviews such as yours stand out so much and make us so pleased to receive as they perk us up ready for the season.

Once again thank you so much.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Bristol UK
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located for St Peter Port, facing onto the sea front. The room was a spacious triple (double and single) with ensuite facilities, albeit the facilities being a little compact and bijou. The breakfast was good in terms of variety and quality. I found the free use of the hotel's PC for internet access very useful.

The hotel also faces onto the main road and my room at the front was quite noisy as a result. In fact the whole hotel was a little noisy: Other guests slamming doors, noises heard from adjacent rooms and the alarm system on the blink when I was there. Despite the signs, other guests could have been a little more considerate in keeping the noise down.

The hotel was built at a time when Hobbits populated the island. No fault of the owners. I am over 6ft tall and I am used to hotel beds being too short, so sleeping diagonally in a double on my own was the solution here. I did bang my head on the door lintel to the room, had to sit down to take a shower and had to sit down on the toilet to shave as the mirror was at about my waist height. I didn't bang my head on the TV as it was high up near the ceiling for some bizarre reason (but had to lay down in bed to view so as not to get a stiff neck looking up at it).

Room Tip: Rooms away from the front should be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ColinABristolUK
Allez2, Owner at St Georges, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank for your review. I beleive you paid £40.00 per night for a family room at the time you stayed so remarkably good value.
I don't think the Guerns would like to be described as Hobbits really as small Islands generally breed small people but the building is centuries old so nothing can be done to change the door lintels which are not standard in height or width and I personally love its quirkyness, although my son has been known to bang his head on the beams as he is over 6ft.
The television was moved from where you could sit and watch as another guest stayed in the room and wrote on tripadvisor that it could'nt be watched whilst laying in the double bed, so I moved it to accomodate, which proves what I always say about reviews what pleases one guest upsets another. St George's is very well positioned for St Peter Port. PORT being the operative word so if you want peace and quiet then I would suggest that you book out of St Peter Port, however, if restaurants and ease of travel on ferries etc is your priority then we are in the perfect location for the traveller and Island hopper. St George's is also central to all the banking area's so it makes ecnomical sense for those working in offices to stay with us. And we are on the flat where as most accommodation in Guernsey is hanging off a cliff, so we are ideal for those who like to keep their feet on the ground. As for banging doors etc yes people can be very thoughtless selfish and hurtful in word and deed, which is why i answer the reviews.
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I have stayed at St Georges a few times and it has become my first choice when i visit Guernsey. I would say this B&B punches well above its weight and competes with some of the recognised hotels in the area. For the price then this is great value for money in terms of accomodation, breakfast and location. It offers a warm welcome and the location itself is good as there are no hills to tackle (other places i have stayed seem to take me up steep hills). Town is just a casual stroll away along the coast and there are bus-stops directly outside the front door going in both directions. The staff will do anything they can to accomodate your needs and overall im finding it hard to find any fault with this B&B. If you're on a budget then i would highly recommend this place and if you're staying over this winter then give them a ring as they have some good deals on which havent been advertised on the website.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank WelshCraig1
Allez2, Owner at St Georges, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Hello , as a regular visitor to St George's I am so pleased that we have satisfied all your expectations and very pleased with the lovely review you have given us. Looking forward to seeing you again on your next visit..
Kind regards to yourself and your little family.
Davina
Antwerp, Antwerpen, Belgium
Reviewed November 7, 2012

What can I say: We were pleasantly surprised by this B&B. There were the impeccable rooms (and we tried no less than three!), the abundant choice at the breakfast buffet, certainly for what you would expect at this more than reasonable price, and then there were these little extras, such as the suggestion to read a differtent novel from the potatoe peel society (I did order a copy and am very much looking forward to reading it) and making a call for us to the B&B of Sark, that made us feel really wellcome: so much so that we felt like returning home for the last bit of our hols after our little trip to Sark. All of this certainly contributed to the success of our very first holiday together.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, perhaps opt for a room at the back
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Enid v
Allez2, Owner at St Georges, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review, it was so nice to meet you and I am pleased that you enjoyed your Island experience at St George's and in the Guest house in Sark. We aimed to make it as homely as possible and I am so glad we met your expectations in full.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This was our third stay at the St George, and we stay there every time we go to Guernsey. We find if extremely good value for money in what is otherwise an expensive place to stay. Besides the reasonable price, we were very glad to have free internet access (most places charge for this). Also, the fact that extra tea/coffee/milk etc is available on every floor is a bonus, in most other places this would not be so readily available We thought the breakfast was excellent and the staff were friendly, efficient and could not do enough to help us. We booked our room at a particularly busy time for Guernsey, as there were a lot of events on that weekend, but the manager/owner did her very best to accommodate us and managed to fit us in with quite a bit of "juggling" on her part, which was very much appreciated. Our room was both comfortable and clean, and the toilet/shower area was spotless. We would wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone who is looking for good value for money in a clean and friendly environment. We will certainly stay there again, but book in good time, especially if you are aware of any special events on at the same time as your planned break.

Room Tip: If you are not able-bodied then you would need to request a ground-floor room as there is no lift av...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Allez2, Owner at St Georges, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review. We do try very hard to meet our guests needs within our budget and it is great when guests do appreciate our efforts.
Our aim is to provide clean cheap affordable accomodation, within St Peter Port Harbour area.
With a small team of staff and family it is the best way to keep the costs to a minimum and keep the tariff down for our guests.
Thank you again.
Ironbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at St Georges Guest House.It is a budget option in St Peter Port, and it does this very well.

My room was comfortable, clean and had the bonus of a sea view. The main road is noisy,so if this will disturb you,it maybe worth asking for a room that is not at the front of the building.

Breakfast was lovely.The selection of cereals,and continental options was abundant, and I liked that hot food was cooked to order. Everything tasted good, and again the room was clean and bright.

I would have liked a list of what options I could have for the cooked breakfast,and a moment to sit down before being asked what I would like (I am not at sharpest in the morning),but this is a minor thing.

There are many nice touches,such as the free to use computer,and the availability of extra tea and coffee on each landing. There is also a wealth of information about St Peter Port in the area next to the breakfast room.

St Georges achieves it's aim of being a good value option in a town that seems awash with luxury boutique style hotels,it met my needs perfectly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Allez2, Owner at St Georges, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for your lovely review. You hit directly on the market we are catering for. We are aiming to give value for money for the traveler, with a clean rooms and a good breakfast.
We are cutting out all the gimicks and frills and sticking to good old fashioned basics. Bed and Breakfast.
I am pleased you got exactly what you wanted.
Once again thank you for the review.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2012

One of the cheapest places we could find to stay when visiting Guernsey.

The location was very good - less than 10 min walk to the centre of St Peter Port & close to the ferry terminal.

The room was not as clean as I would have liked it to have been...dirty, grimy shower cubicle & a bit grubby throughout.

The woman who appeared to be the manger/owner was not particularly friendly...in the breakfast room she was moaning about foreign staff in call centres & how she couldn't understand them & therefore didn't like talking to them (this was quite ironic as a member of staff of Asian origin was sat next to her at the time!). As we checked out she also moaned about French people as they 'just stay in their rooms all day, don't spend money in the local economy & it just means the guesthouse has more rubbish to dispose of at the end of the week'!

There was a stand with extra tea/coffee/sugar etc in the hallway so you could help yourselves to extra supplies if you needed them, which was a really nice touch.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the sea which is very nice, but be prepared for a lot of traffic noise - it'...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank gails120
Allez2, Owner at St Georges, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Thanks for the review
Thanks for calling me the woman, manners cost nothing, and you would think seeing as my character was about to be assinated you would learn my name in my home.
Thanks for taking everything I said out of context. Forgive me if you thought my comment was racist, it was actually factual, I had just spent two hours trying to talk to my bank and was put through to a call centre in India where I could not understand a word they were firing at me at such speed. Should of stuck to taking about the weather and making small talk, now at least I have the chance to moan about your review.

Never had anyone say we had a dirty Bed and Breakfast before thats most unusual, most people say its just the opposite. It is getting towards the end of the season and we usually start decorating and making new in October so don't know if that has anything to do with your comment.

Would like to say more but really do not have the time, working flat out in a full Bed and Breakfast, which last night in the La Piette Hotel bar next door, talking to my friendly guests they were saying how clean it was and what good value.