“Exceptional and Unique.”
Review of Hotel Bella Luce

Hotel Bella Luce
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in St Martin
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Having stayed at Bella Luce before I knew what to expect. A Beautiful room, a very warm welcome and service second to none. However I have never taken time to do a trip advisor report until now. My room was pure indulgence seeing as I was travelling alone. Bath towels and bath robes that envelope me as they are so thick and soft. A huge bed to spread out in and a peaceful environment. A four poster bed! The romance of it perhaps lost on me as I was alone but the feel of the room and the other rooms I have stayed in all encompass both what you would want as a lone traveller or a couple. Then of course there is the crackling log fire in the bar vs sitting out in the sunshine in the garden with my sunday paper and glass of wine. And the food is delicious, well presented and accompanied by the choice from an extensive wine list. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys quality, comfort, good service and a very friendly warm environment, when you are not a customer, you are a guest of the Bella Luce family. I would not want to stay anywhere else in Guernsey. And whilst this may not be relevant as you might hire a car but the bus route serves Bella Luce well too. Next time I am going to go to the spa......

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Vicky B

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Just had to write this review on the hotel and say Thank You to Colleen and the team for an incredible Easter weekend. Hotel is beautiful, food incredible, cocktails yummy and the staff are clearly hard-working and always happy to please all customers. Had a wonderful private dinner laid out in our room (thank you again to Colleen) and enjoyed a beautiful view whilst dining. A must for anybody wishing to have a decadent and peaceful few days but at an extremely good price. Especially loved the way a rather loud stag party who decided to drop in for a beer on Saturday night were handled by the bar manager without disturbing other customers. Definitely looking forward to visiting again, possibly at Christmas to enjoy the little side rooms with beautiful log fires. Thank you for making this one of the best anniversaries we have had!

Room Tip: Luxury Guest Rooms are well worth the small extra cost if you are looking for more room space
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Having enjoyed the hotel restaurant on many occasions previously, we were looking forward to our first overnight stay at the hotel. Our first night however was a disaster - our room was right next to the wooden stairs, and we could hear (loudly) every one who walked up or down them. We could also hear every conversation that took place in the passage outside - not very pleasant when you're expecting a quiet environment and want to relax in your room.

The hotel locks its doors at 11.00pm although there is supposedly an all night porter available to let guests in - our first night there some guest was attempting to return at 2.20am, and was banging on the locked door and trying to force it open (again all of which could be clearly heard from our room) for at least 10 minutes before eventually gaining access. Needless to say we got little sleep that night, and the corridor noise started again at 6.45am the next day (Sunday). Having had very little sleep the night before, I was exhausted the next day and not looking forward at all to the second night.

In addition to the bad position, the room itself was quite ordinary, and certainly not in keeping with the photographs and advertising on the website. The "flat screen TV" was the smallest I have seen in a hotel, and was mounted so high on the wall (the top of it touched the ceiling) that it would have been impossible to watch comfortably had we wanted to do so. The bed itself was lumpy and uncomfortable, as were the pillows. There was no bathroom mirror, only a small make-up mirror which again was mounted so high on the wall it was of little use. The "writing desk" was not a desk at all, just a narrow table, and there was no chair in any event to sit at it.

My advice if you are considering staying at this hotel - ensure you get a decent room away from the stairs. We were moved for the second night to a quieter room but that hardly compensated for the lost sleep and inconvenience of the first night.

Room Tip: Rooms close to the central staircase are extremely noisy, ask for a room away from the stairwell and...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank TaorminaTraveller
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We had a wonderful 5 day break celebrating a significant birthday for my wife with some close and special friends. The location is wonderfully peaceful with a wonderful coastal bay just 20 minutes walk away down a tranquil lane. The rooms were spotless and comfortable, the food and drink fantastic and the service from the staff was without exception flawless, nothing was too much trouble. I travel a lot on business and this is, without exception, the best service I can remember. We can't wait to come back!!!

Room Tip: Room 203 was great
1  Thank AndyF2001
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We are currently staying here for 4 nights. It is beautiful. Staff are very attentive, rooms very comfortable. It is set in lovely gardens. Superb breakfasts!! Highly recommended for those seeking quiet luxury.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Iain P
Reviewed April 6, 2014

The reception staff Maria and Coleen were lovely and very helpful. I couldn't fault them.

We stayed in room 105 which was very nice, large room with a bath in the bedroom - quirky but delightful. A large shower room which was beautiful too.

We ate in the restaurant in the evening. The service wasn't that good I have to say. My husband ordered crab for his starter. Every single mouthful had at least one piece of shell in it. I had a taste of it and I also had shell in my small forkful! He gave up eating it halfway through as he was fed up spitting it out - not only was he worried about breaking a tooth but the tables are very close together and he was worried it was putting other diners off their food! Embarrassing!

Onto the main course… My husband ordered fish and shellfish with Thai broth with lentils. The fish was very well cooked and fresh. There was so much salt added, he couldn't eat the broth and lentils at all!!! The lady on the next table overheard us talking about the salt content of the food (all courses) and agreed!!! So, it wasn't just us!!! We told the waitress that it was inedible and we heard absolutely nothing back from her, restaurant manager or the chef. No apology, nothing.

At 2 a.m. I was woken by someone running up the stairs, clonking the doors and then walking backwards and forwards across the floor above our room, very heavy footed. Needless to say, I couldn't get back off to sleep. Grrrrr. Not exactly the relaxing break we were after.

Breakfast… Not a very good fruit selection in my opinion and the fruit juice was yuck! The service was slow, disorganised and the tables were not set properly (items missing) - not just our table. People were having to ask for napkins and cups and saucers etc. The cooked breakfast looked great and all tasted good apart from the scrambled eggs which again were full of SALT!!! Disgusting! My husband and I both had the same and agreed it was totally inedible. We didn't say anything to the waitress but she obviously noticed and then asked was everything ok and so we told her that the scrambled egg was so salty, we couldn't eat it! Again, no feedback or apology from the chef or the offer of another plate of scrambled egg. For goodness sake, I can add my own salt but I can't take it out!!!

Upon checking out we mentioned the problems to the receptionist (who was lovely) and did apologise for our salty offerings (not her fault) obviously. She offered us an upgrade upon our return visit. Too little too late I'm afraid - we won't be returning. We should have been reimbursed at least for my husband's meal last night! So, if you would like to reimburse us Bella Luce - feel free!

Marilyn and Michael O'Loughlin

Room Tip: I will always ask to be on the top floor of any hotel from now on and I won't be packing the sal...
3  Thank Barmymarny
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Just returned from a fantastic weekend at the fabulous Belle Luce. We are regular visitors to all of the Channel Islands with Guernsey being a particular favourite. Having stayed at all of the four and five star hotels on the Island we still had Belle Luce to try. What can we say..... We left the BEST to last!!!!
On writing this review we are also comparing Belle Luce to other luxury and boutique hotels throughout the world, having travelled extensively.
The hotel is a haven for a relaxing break. From check in to final lasting impression the Belle Luce team have got it right.
The team are a credit to the privately owned establishment.
Check in was seamless, from our bags swiftly unloaded from our taxi by a smiling porter to a genuine warm welcome from reception with a glass of home made lemonade. An unexpected bonus was our lovely room overlooking the gardens being ready at 9am.

The weekend was special to us as we had chosen the Belle Luce to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We can honestly say the weekend was perfect .The hotel is perfectly situated in a country lane near the cliffs. we are avid walkers so was perfect. Also only a 30 minute walk to town and a bus stop is literally right outside.
Our special evening was fabulous. The service and food outstanding and great value for money as well.
After a great nights sleep in a comfortable bed and an amazing breakfast we checked out and stored our bags for another days hiking. We returned at 3pm to collect our bags and our taxi to the airport. We took the opportunity to wait outside in the lovely seating area in the garden with a complimentary coffee that all guests can help themselves to. A special mention to Maria who on noticing the water in the flask to make the coffee was less than hot swiftly came back with a new hot flask of water. Not only that Maria insisted in carrying both our drinks into the garden. Biscuits were offered and gratefully appreciated and a complimentary spa gift was offered for mothers day!

It is the small consistent touches that make this hotel special and stand out from the rest. Customer Experience at its best! We are already planning and looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 mi away
The Farmhouse Hotel
The Farmhouse Hotel
#1 of 2 in Saint Saviour

Been to Hotel Bella Luce? Share your experiences!