“Gosht Hunters”
Review of Sausmarez Manor

Sausmarez Manor
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in St Martin
More attraction details
Owner description: Sausmarez Manor is still the seat of the seigneurs de Sausmarez since C1205. There are a number of interesting things to do or see whilst you are there;- Historic House tours a Subtropical Garden, a Sculpture Park, a ride on train, Ghost Tours, a Short Golf course, Craft shops
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Yesterday, a couple of friends and I went to visit this incredible house with so much history. The gentleman who guide us through the house was very kind (he even offered us a glass of wine during the visit! How many places do you know they do that?) and have many gosht stories to share with the people who like this kind of things. I work as a receptionist in a Guernsey hotel and from now on, I´m going to recommend this place to all my guests.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We toured the house with a most informative guide and learned much about the history of the house and the family. Lovely gardens although there was another cost to visit part of the gardens which we decided against. Pleasant tea rooms and an interesting smith's shop.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

The guide made this short tour round the house a really good experience, he made the history live.
Our expectations of this attraction were much higher than the reality, the advertising makes it look much bigger and better than it is.
Gardens and sculptures in need of some TLC, the café is poor and the outside tables with full ashtrays and unloved.
Toilets damp and dirty.
Despite everything we had an OK afternoon.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I must admit I was a little concerned about visiting this attraction. There were previous reviews on Trip advisor that put us off. However, the gardens were more or less within walking distance of where we were staying - so - what the heck!!

How glad I was that we took this decision. The parking was easy and access to the magnificent gardens were free. You could just wander around at your leisure.

I wasn't sure at first about paying the extra for the sculpture and poetry trail (was it my thing or not?) The sculptures were wonderful. Some completely out of this world. I went round the trail a few times as it was very easy to miss some of them as they were hidden in the bushes. My camera was snapping all the time. At first I didn't appreciate where the poetry side came from until I saw occasional pieces of appropriate prose stuck on the trees. It all made sense. I would love to go back again.

Following this trail we had the obligatory cup of tea with cake/scone!!! Again, far better than we were led to believe by some reports on Trip Advisor.

I personally found everyone working there very helpful and friendly - was I missing something?

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We visited the woods for the ridiculously priced statues which will probably be there until they rot - and some of them already are ! Some are interesting and they are well spaced on a woodland walk but not really worth the entry fee.
Cafe really has nothing to recommend unless you like bought in sandwiches and crisps. Attendant appeared to have charisma bypass !