“Lovely views though”

Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in St Martin
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Booked under a quidsin deal, looked like several other people had done so too. This did limit the meal choice somewhat, although it was already £32 under the terms of the deal already.
We had terrine and smoked salmon as the starter. The terrine was ok, smoked salmon is as smoked salmon does. Not rushing back for either, but so far was ok.

Mains, SWMBO had the fish which came with wilted spinach, and mash with spring onions or scallions if you must. There was also the usual 'arty' squirt of sauces round the edge of the plate. I ordered the steak. I wanted it blue. It was hmm err medium rare would be veRy generous medium well probably more accurate. With this there were French fries/ freedom fries (depending how much you like our Gallic cousins). There was a very creamy sauce and some mushrooms. I didn't like the sauce and sidelined that as much as possible. In fact we swopped plates with me having the mash instead. The mash was the nicest element of the meal as the meat was, well, if I'm honest it was the worst steak I have ever encountered. Sorry. If it helps the fish was pleasant.

Desert. Choice was cheese, a mousse, posset or sticky toff. Now I have a very temperamental tummy so ended up choosing the posset. The boss chose the mousse. The mousse was a cappuccino style mousse with a few mini donuts coated in cinnamon sugar. I sampled it and found it rather rich and not very pleasant. The donuts were ok. The posset had flavour but the ginger snaps served with it were only designed to do one thing-break teeth. Far far too dense in fact dangerous to ones health! The posset ended up being too rich for me though two spoonfuls were pleasant enough.

I also ordered a coffee. Now I hate absolutely detest warm milk, in fact it makes me feel Ill so I always ask now for a black coffee with cold milk on the side, you know just like a coffee used to be before everyone started getting far too juvenile for their own good and wanting cappuccino or lattes or other such nursery nonsense. I am not an Italian, I am not a Frenchman I do not want a poncy silly coffee I want a proper cup of coffee with cold milk poured in, a white coffee, how hard is that? Well apparently too hard for both here and pretty much anywhere in the UK now. Thankfully though they quickly sorted it out, took the foamy nonsense away and replaced it with a normal coffee. The shortbread biccie was nice.

Overall? Location is great, the steaks are awful, fish far better. Starters are so so, puddings same. Service was ok. Drinks at Guernsey prices (ie make sure you have deep pockets if drinking lots). Other half fancies going again and having different fish dishes, this Tyke however will not darken the door again.

There are newer reviews for L'Auberge

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We loved the presentation of the food and of course the taste if you love sea food you must try, my favourite desert was lemon posset. We had a sea view but because of the dark evenings we didnt see much but in the summer you would have beautiful views

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We were on our 25th wedding anniversary in Guernsey and (last minute) decided to try this restaurant out. Despite being fully booked they opened a bit early so we could have a drink, made a space for us and treated us really well. The staff were really friendly and pleasant and the food was of good quality. We really enjoyed our meal here watching the sunset over the bay.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

Wonderful views on a good day, reliable food, cosmopolitan atmosphere. Lovely to dine outside in the garden in fine weather.

1  Thank Britannia07
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I used to love this place. I have told the manager several time that the food portions are too small. The service is poor. The acoustics are terrible and that he needs some kind of noise reduction but, he will Not listen.

Too expensive for what it is. Too noisy. Staff show absolutely NO appreciation of you "choosing" this eating place over many, many other Guernsey eating places. Sack them all and start again would be my advice!

People don't go out to eat because they are hungry. We go out to dinner to be given eating experience. Well, you won't get it here. Shame.

6  Thank Steve H