“Nice place to eat, but the staff make the restaurant”
Review of Tennessee Barbeque

Tennessee Barbeque
Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Livingston
Cuisines: American
Description: We are a small town, family owned restaurant. We can seat 60 people inside. We have a two small private rooms. One will seat 12 and the other seats 20. We have a small outside patio that will seat 15. Our menu is of course smoked meats. Pulled pork, pulled turkey, beef brisket and chicken halves are offered certain days each week. We have smoked meats fresh each day. We also feature a grilled hamburger and hand patted hamburger steak as well as chicken tenders. We hand bread our own fried pickles and make a huge pork nacho. We make our own potato salad, cole slaw and baked beans. Our deserts are homemade each day. Our Banana Pudding is a must try!
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice place to eat, but the staff make the restaurant”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

As we were looking as to why this place was not open when clearly the sign said 1100 and our watches said 1151 we almost drove away thinking well I guess they do not want our business. We are from Atlanta where we have some really good BBQ here and wanted BBQ bad!!...So I said well let me see what the problem is..I walk in and said are you open, I would guess it was the owner said well not for another 5 minutes but we are close, come on in..again I look at my watch and say but don't you open at 11, I get the response "Yes"..and then it hits me...This place is in Central Time..As you read this I guess you can smile as I did as I finally figured this out. All is good the special of the day was a full rack of ribs and 2 sides for 18.00. It was good and worth the wait..Next time we are going to try the shoulder. My hats off to the staff tho they are very friendily and made us feel right at home...

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank simcoper
Maura M, Owner at Tennessee Barbeque, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
I am so glad that you all came on in! We do our best to serve quality food but I am blessed by employees! They are like family! We hope that you will visit us again when you are in the area!
Thank-you!

Michigan
“Great bar-b-que”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Great hometown restaurant with a diverse menu containing great 'comfort food' that will appease most any appetite for a reasonable cost. Service is friendly and timely.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank mendonprairie
Rochester, Wisconsin
“Best place I've eaten on this vacation”
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We were heading to check out a State Park when the sky opened up. It was lunch time so we looked for a local restaurant. The barbecue was excellent!! They gave us some kind of home made bread when we sat down that was to die for. Some of the friendliest and best service I've ever had. One of the owners even came by and checked on us. If you're in the area, stop here!!! It was fantastic!!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank thnk1st
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Friendly & service- good southern food”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We came in with large party a little bit later in the evening for dinner (7:30 or so) and they were more than accommodating. Seated us quickly and served us with a big smile and dealt with our tired kids. Food was good but they were out of some of their best stuff. the waitress was super great and the place was very decorated very cute and clean.

• Visited June 2013
Tallahassee, Florida
“BBQ in Mid-Tennessee”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Had occasion to eat lunch at this restaurant with my daughter when traveling through Livingston. I ordered the pulled pork plate with baked beans as a side, while my daughter ordered the pulled pork sandwich with curly fries.

Our waitress was very polite and helpful. The restaurant itself was clean and full of University of Tennessee memorabilia. Hoecakes were brought out first with some "butter" spead; the hoecakes (a first for any BBQ place I've visited) were well-done, though something like honey or jam would have been nice other than just the "butter" spread.

The pulled pork is smoked with hickory. My plate had a huge portion. While I cannot complain about the portion size and must admit that it was suitably cooked properly, I found it a bit bland, probably because I don't think that this restaurant uses any rub other than salt and pepper. The "hot" bbq sauce appears to be tomato-based with vinegar, though not to the degree used in North Carolina; I didn't find it to be overly spicy. The "sweet" sauce had a bit more flavor, probably with molasses as a base. I'm used to a smoked pork with a bit more flavor from the beginning of the cooking process; not that there's anything wrote with it, it is just not what I'm used to. The baked beans were my least favorite, being more heavily tomato-sauced based. Again, not wrong, just not my usual style. The plate came with more hoecakes, which were as good as those originally brought when we came in.

My daughter's pulled pork sandwich was good, though she had the same observation as me, that the meat, by itself, was a bit bland. The curly fries she ordered as a side, however, were excellent, nice and crispy, with good seasoning.

My average rating isn't based on the quality of the food itself or its preparation, both of which were quite good, but rather on what I think someone NOT from Tennessee would think of the style of barbeque. If I was in the area again, I'd probably eat at this restaurant again and try other things to see if I'd change my mind.

• Visited May 2013