“Best place I've eaten on this vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tennessee Barbeque

Tennessee Barbeque
Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Livingston
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a small town, family owned restaurant. We can seat 60 people inside. We have a two small private rooms. One will seat 12 and the other seats 20. We have a small outside patio that will seat 15. Our menu is of course smoked meats. Pulled pork, pulled turkey, beef brisket and chicken halves are offered certain days each week. We have smoked meats fresh each day. We also feature a grilled hamburger and hand patted hamburger steak as well as chicken tenders. We hand bread our own fried pickles and make a huge pork nacho. We make our own potato salad, cole slaw and baked beans. Our deserts are homemade each day. Our Banana Pudding is a must try!
Rochester, Wisconsin
“Best place I've eaten on this vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We were heading to check out a State Park when the sky opened up. It was lunch time so we looked for a local restaurant. The barbecue was excellent!! They gave us some kind of home made bread when we sat down that was to die for. Some of the friendliest and best service I've ever had. One of the owners even came by and checked on us. If you're in the area, stop here!!! It was fantastic!!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank thnk1st

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Friendly & service- good southern food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We came in with large party a little bit later in the evening for dinner (7:30 or so) and they were more than accommodating. Seated us quickly and served us with a big smile and dealt with our tired kids. Food was good but they were out of some of their best stuff. the waitress was super great and the place was very decorated very cute and clean.

• Visited June 2013
Tallahassee, Florida
“BBQ in Mid-Tennessee”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

Had occasion to eat lunch at this restaurant with my daughter when traveling through Livingston. I ordered the pulled pork plate with baked beans as a side, while my daughter ordered the pulled pork sandwich with curly fries.

Our waitress was very polite and helpful. The restaurant itself was clean and full of University of Tennessee memorabilia. Hoecakes were brought out first with some "butter" spead; the hoecakes (a first for any BBQ place I've visited) were well-done, though something like honey or jam would have been nice other than just the "butter" spread.

The pulled pork is smoked with hickory. My plate had a huge portion. While I cannot complain about the portion size and must admit that it was suitably cooked properly, I found it a bit bland, probably because I don't think that this restaurant uses any rub other than salt and pepper. The "hot" bbq sauce appears to be tomato-based with vinegar, though not to the degree used in North Carolina; I didn't find it to be overly spicy. The "sweet" sauce had a bit more flavor, probably with molasses as a base. I'm used to a smoked pork with a bit more flavor from the beginning of the cooking process; not that there's anything wrote with it, it is just not what I'm used to. The baked beans were my least favorite, being more heavily tomato-sauced based. Again, not wrong, just not my usual style. The plate came with more hoecakes, which were as good as those originally brought when we came in.

My daughter's pulled pork sandwich was good, though she had the same observation as me, that the meat, by itself, was a bit bland. The curly fries she ordered as a side, however, were excellent, nice and crispy, with good seasoning.

My average rating isn't based on the quality of the food itself or its preparation, both of which were quite good, but rather on what I think someone NOT from Tennessee would think of the style of barbeque. If I was in the area again, I'd probably eat at this restaurant again and try other things to see if I'd change my mind.

• Visited May 2013
Cookeville, Tennessee
“Try the fried pickles”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Our family loves coming here, and we have some picky eaters! The ribs, chicken, and pork are all cooked to perfection. You HAVE to try the fried pickles - they are hard to put down. If you get the sweet potato fries (and you should) make sure you get them loaded with butter and brown sugar. Hmmmm....

Visited December 2012
Nashville, TN
“WOW!! One in a million”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I have never been treated so kind and special. my husband and I with another couple drove from Murfreesboro TN on a wine tour. I had done all my research, even searching out this place to stop and have some BBQ. We chose to skip the third stop in order to eat since it was 2:00 and breakfast had been long gone. My research failed to notice that TN BBQ does not open on SAturday until 4:00. BOY did I feel awful not so much for us, but for the couple that came along with us. We were all very hungry and I was embarrassed I had made that mistake. We drove up into the lot and noticed someone outside working at the back door. My husband got out and asked the young man where else we might find some good local food other than fast food. He proceeded to tell us about a few places, but said there weren't many with good home cooking to choose from. mostly fast food. I told him about how we picked specifically this location and how we loved BBQ and he said ...I can serve you anything on the menu except items that require frying since his fryer was not hot, and the waitstaff would not be in for a few more mins. HE UNLOCKED THE DOOR AND TOOK US IN AS HIS GUEST!! Now tell me how many places have you ever been to and been turned away? WE were all shocked at his kindness to do this. We chatted with the young man, found out he was the owners son, they were out of town and he was in charge. He could not have been more polite and hospitable, the food was plentiful with very generous portions and the prices were very reasonable. the quality of the food was incomparable. I have never had pork that fresh picked, it was very tender, taste was great, and no additives!! Not a piece of fat in site. :) very lean. potato salad, slaw and beans all had that fresh homemade taste. And the BANANA Pudding!!! Oh my gosh ! I just about licked the bowl. After we ate we took a look around at all the history he shared of the town and restaurant, they are all a big TN VOLS family , and Being a South Carolina Gamecock, Well I can say nothing distracted our fun. Good food, good fun was had by all. we will definately make plans to head back Just to eat here. DON'T hesitate to plan your trip to this great family BBQ restaurant, you will NOT BE DISSAPOINTED! If you are then you don't know BBQ, and maybe it's just not your day. ENJOYED TREMENDOUSLY!! Thank you again for your kindness Rob Medley and God has blessed you for all you do young man. I'm sure your parents are proud.