“Time to relax” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Grande Mare

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Castel
La Grande Mare
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Castel
Reading, United Kingdom
“Time to relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Yet again I have chose la grande mare to have a short break:,why?
because the quality of the hotel,the service,and the restaurant are all 5 star.
The staff are highly professional and attentive,the rooms are large and luxurious.
The restaurant is superb with a fine menu at a price that cannot be beaten.
You can choose a 2 coarse for £10-95 or 3 courses for £12-95.with a head waiter who
is very good at his job!!
There is all the facilities you need,pool,golf,steam room and jacuzzi .
It will not be long till I come back!!!

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor seem to be slightly bigger.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Simon V, Owner at La Grande Mare, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Morsy 2010
Lovely to hear how you enjoyed your short break here at La Grande Mare.
Thank you for the glowing review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Christchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I spent an enjoyable couple of days here. It is in an excellent location with just a short walk to the seafront. For sporty types there is a golf course attached to the hotel and a well equipped gym, decent sized pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. I was there on business so no time for golf (sadly) but I used the gym and pool. Very clean and well maintained all round.

My room was comfortable and warm (it was a cold weekend) and included some nice extras such as a good selection of teas and coffees, iron and ironing board. The staff were friendly and helpful and have been trained well in personal skills. When was the last time you were greeted by name in the restaurant or bar of a hotel?

I ate in the main restaurant which is popular with nonresidents. For this reason booking a table is advised. The menu is extensive and reasonably priced. Not surprisingly there is a good spread of sea food on offer. They boast an impressive wine list with sensible prices.

I would highly recommend this hotel and am planning to return for a leisure break sometime soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course - great views!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Simon V, Owner at La Grande Mare, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Coffs51
It was music to our ears to read what a thoroughly enjoyable stay you had with us recently.
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review.
Guernsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Front of House made us feel very welcome as soon as we set foot through the door, and this set the theme for a very enjoyable evening with delicious food. The braised lamb was amazing, and the choice of wines to accompany the food was spot on. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gastronomer-Piers
Simon V, Owner at La Grande Mare, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Gastronomer-Piers

Delighted to read of your positive dining experience at LGM and many thanks for the Highly recommended status.
I can assure you that it means a lot to us here,so thank you for going to the trouble to write such a positive report.e
Guernsey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

I visit this restaurant fairly regularly and would recommend it due to the high standard of service I always receive. The food is good. Just about what you would expect from this type if restaurant. Not the best, but consistently good.

All I would say is avoid the rib eye steak. The portion size it tiny. My steak was hiding under a mushroom! Not big enough to cook medium rare. I have tried it twice and commented to the waiter both times. I would expect this from a Tennerfest menu but not off an a la carte menu.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Carl N
Dear Carl N
Thank you for your kind review .
We have taken your constructive criticism on board with regards to our Rib eye steak and will be reviewing our listing and pricing of all steaks.
Guernsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed on a short romantic break over the weekend. The check-in was smooth and easy with a friendly, polite and helpful receptionist that set the scene for what was to follow. An excellent Studio room overlooking the first Golf tee and the Golf course had everything that we could have desired, a very large (super king?) bed, with soft cotton sheets and pillow cases, a comfy settee to sit and read the complimentary newspaper, a table & 4 chairs with a corner kitchenette area provided more than we needed and the en-suite bathroom was beautifully appointed and provided a range of nice products.
Afternoon tea - with a glass of house Champagne of course - was a delight and was soon devoured, again very friendly and chatty staff.
A long walk in the Saturday afternoon sunshine around the headland with an interesting old fortification and tremendous views, followed by a ramble around the little lanes with interesting red granite cottages and other dwellings to walk off the afternoon tea followed.
After a shower and freshen up it was to the bar for pre-dinner drinks enjoyed at a comfortable table and a peruse of the delights offered on several menu options. Dinner was excellent with Prawns and Haddock starter for me, Poached Pear with Blue Cheese for my wife, we both congratulated ourselves on an excellent choice of the Venison Loin for mains, followed by an apple dessert for Mrs and a selection of chees & biscuits for me to finish off the excellent Rioja Reserva recommended by the maître D. Again, the staff were friendly and smiling and ready to assist . A leisurely coffee and liquor followed back in the bar and we were set for the night.
An excellent omelette served with a very fresh salad was selected for breakfast - make that brunch - with excellent coffee and toast the following morning before departing for home.
An excellent stay, our third, and we shall return again. Most definitely recommended.

Room Tip: If you want a lot of space ask for a Suite.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Nic666
What a fantastic review,thank you for taking the time to post such e reply and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us so much.
Glad to hear you want to come back and stay with us again and isn't that Rioja such a lovely wine.Soft,rich vanilla-smooth drinking indeed !
Felsted, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I visited La Grande Mare for dinner and I was most impressed with the appearance of the hotel and the food in the restaurant. This was later spoilt by a black and white cat walking out of the main hotel kitchen and walking across the restaurant! The cat then came to our table where it was scrounging food, I had to pinch myself! Am I in Morocco?? I rang the hotel and informed them twice however they didn't even have the decency to return my phone call or email. What a shoddy outfit, they should be reported to health and hygiene!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steve C
Simon V, Manager at La Grande Mare, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Steve Thank you for your review,it was good to hear how you enjoyed your food and service and I was sorry to hear how you hated our Hotel cat Twinkle.

I had previously responded to your e mail so you could check your spam folder.

Is this a first for tripadvisor though wonder 1 out of five because the reviewer hates small furry creatures ?
Twinkle however, does seem to be a hit with our other diners,particularly the younger set. and doesn't seem to have bothered other reviewers of La Grande Mare
Beaucaire, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

My sweetheart and I stayed at LGM for two weeks (Christmas and New Year) and loved pretty much everything. The studio we requested (B5) has a view of the golf course, and Fort Hommet in the distance (beautiful at sunset). The Chef is even better than last time we came (special award to Paolo, who made beautiful presentations of many entrées and desserts which we greatly enjoyed). They use Guernsey butter, which tastes sooo good. Reception was very helpful, particularly Alise who very kindly contacted the airline on my behalf to purchase an extra luggage allowance, and Shannon who contacted me after our departure about the torch-light I forgot in our room.
Many thanks also to Rado, who made sure everything was always great at the restaurant.
In a nutshell, this hotel is very nicely decorated, very clean, the staff is really friendly and helpful. The only thing we regret is the water pressure, too weak for our taste on the island. But the bathtub is huge, so it offers a nice alternative. It rained almost constantly, but the Health suite means you can always relax and forget about it. The fireplace by the bar is wonderful also. Will come back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear acim444
Thank you so much for your fantastic review,I will share it with my team and they will be delighted to hear how much you both enjoyed your stay here with us at La Grande Mare
The Hotel is open all year round and we do hope we have the pleasure of your company again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castel
Cobo Bay Hotel
Le Friquet Country Hotel
Hotel Bella Luce
Hotel Bella Luce
#2 of 9 in St Martins

Been to La Grande Mare? Share your experiences!