We went for an evening meal at the hotel and chose the Dine with Wine summer menu for which my wife had paid for a Quidsin voucher.
Evening did not start well as they had lost our booking but the manager retrieved the situation and we were shown to a nice table overlooking the outdoor pool. Unfortunately the table had obviously just been vacated as there were glass rings on the table which were not cleaned before or after we arrived.
We ordered pre-dinner drinks and then our food order. we noticed that other tables had been offered bread but in the end had to ask for ours.
Starters were delicious and the wine that comes as part of the menu was also very nice. the main courses came. I had Sea Bass and my wife had beef fillet medallions. Both were delicious. unfortunately the wine for this course did not materialise despite all the tables around us being provided with theirs. a quick glance at our table by any member of staff and they would have realised we had not been served our wine.
The deserts were equally as delicious as was the desert wine which came when our deserts were served.
The restaurant manager was very apologetic about the wine for our main course and waived the cost of our pre-dinner drinks.
Overall a good eating experience, good service slightly marred by forgetting a few things. they were busy but personally that is no excuse when the wine is actually part of the meal and the experience they are selling.
Will be returning I am sure in the near future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Grande Mare Hotel, located on Guernsey's west coast, alongside the sweeping sands of Vazon Bay. The Hotel is set in over 120 acres of tranquil, private grounds with lakes, woodland and an 18 hole golf course and gardens. The courteous staff deliver impeccable service from the front of house and the presentation of your room to creating delicious pre-dinner cocktails, organising a memorable event or gym and golf instruction. The Hotel boasts excellent amenities including a fully equipped health suite, all weather tennis court, both indoor and outdoor bathing pools, a superb Restaurant and Brasserie and extensive business facilities, including WIFI connectivity and last but certainly not least a challenging 18 hole golf course. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your La Grande Mare reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Grande Mare Hotel Castel
- La Grande Mare Guernsey/Castel