“A place to return to”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Castel
walsall
“A place to return to”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed for a three day break over the Easter holiday. We found the staff polite, friendly and very efficient. The room was a large family room with a small en suite, more than adequate for our purposes. The room was let down though by an ill fitting inspection panel on the sink and broken tiles by the heated towel rail.
Food was of good quality, and portions were more than generous. The buffet breakfast was good value for the price that we paid.
If you read the negative reviews of the hotel you will find that many mention the owner/manager, people have accused him of being rude and arrogant. Our dealings with him were nothing but reasonable. It would be helpful if he used an office for the day to day running of the hotel rather than the front desk. He has a voice that unfortunately can be heard from a distance. I don't think hotel guests need to hear him dealing with tradesmen and his employees, some comments not necessarily being very complimentary. Both my wife and I found the assistant manager much easier to talk to.
Would we go back? Would we recommend it? Definitely on both counts. The hotel has character, although much of the decor is dated, it is a relaxing place to stay. Staff who care about making your stay as pleasant as it could be.
Do not come expecting a five star hotel as you will be disappointed after all it has three stars for a reason.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mroche

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Grewelthorpe, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My 11 year old daughter and I decided to have a weeks break on Guernsey this Easter, and after much deliberation we chose Hougue du Pommier. Luckily for us this turned out to be a fantastic decision! I believe it is classed as a three star, but for friendliness, service, food, and the wonderful staff and rooms I would class it as a five. Everything about the hotel was welcoming and warm, so much so we really didn't want to leave (even though that particular day the rain was coming down like stair rods). If you want old style charm, a bit of the exotic, and a place you are happy to come back to to relax after a busy day of sight seeing, then The Hotel Hougue du Pommier is the place for you. It will be a yearly trip for us now... And maybe a sneaky break by myself so I can have a chance to see the 'boring stuff' on the island :D

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Elif M
Chester, England
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a very comfortable hotel - and it grows on you during your stay (3 nights in our case). The staff were courteous, charming and attentive throughout and our room (12 - in the main building) was spacious, comfortable, very clean and had the best free wifi we've ever experienced in a hotel, and the central areas and our room were well-heated (quite a challenge during during a particularly cold spell). This is not a luxury hotel - but you're not paying luxury prices, and pound-for-pound we found this hotel to be excellent value for money, and a really welcoming place to stay.
The bar and restaurant areas are dated, and this was off-putting at first, but drinks are reasonably-priced and with a good range of choice and the bar food menu provided good portions of appetising, freshly cooked food without breaking the bank.
Breakfast was good - tasty cooked buffet and other alternatives - with nice added touches (hot cross buns on Good Friday and Easter Sunday, and a Chocolate Bunny for each guest on the Sunday!)
We had a hire car, so weren't reliant on the bus, although we know others to have found the service to be very good.
The downsides? The shower was unpredictable - seeming to run hot and cold without apparent reason, and although our room was very cozy the heating in the bathroom was not working - we were offered an alternative room, but on balance we decided to stay in room 12 as it was (otherwise) so comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Around the World in 80 Ways
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in March while visiting family. The hotel's location is good, not far from the coast or St Peter Port but nicely tucked away. The staff are very friendly and attentive, and the hotel itself is a nice old building, full of features with nice well kept grounds. The breakfast was great - very relaxed with excellent food.

The rooms need some attention. Ours was fairly clean, but the bathroom, carpets etc have seen better days so could do with a refurb. Dust constantly fell from the extractor fan onto the toilet, and the shower repeatedly changed temperature during use. Wifi isn't available from the bedroom, and there is no wall thermostat in the room.

Overall, it was a nice stay, fantastic value (I can't comment on peak season prices) but the rooms do need attention.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Benj82
Staffordshire
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed for three nights at the Houge du Pommier at the beginning of September. Arrived at 1120hrs and was preparing to have to wait to check in.Pleasantly suprised to be told that although my single room was not ready I was to be allocated another room.Luggage was carried by staff to Room 30 which I found to be a very spacious double room overlooking the garden.
This hotel is in a quiet location but has good public transport links from outside- the no 3 bus goes into St Peter Port on a regular basis.
Breakfast was plentiful- buffet style staff were pleasant and attentive.I ate most nights in the bar area- large range of choice -good value for money and again portions were plentiful.Bar staff were particularly pleasant and courteous
I would highly recommend this hotel.I had a very relaxing stay.

A Trip to Herm should also be considered.A beautiful island only 20 minuted by Trident ferry from St Peter Port Harbour.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank melb61
Rainham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed in this hotel whilst visiting a friend who lives on Herm (which is well worth a visit by they way). I found the staff very helpful and friendly. My room was really nice, although the bathroom could do with some updating (I understand the hotel is closed for the Winter so that refurbishment can take place. There was tea and coffee making facilities in my room, a huge bed, and a lovely view into the gardens from my two windows. They have two restaurants, one for dinner and one for breakfast. The dinner restaurant had a lovely ambience, and they regular menu looked good. When I visited they had 'Tennerfest' on, which is a scheme which is run across the island in October offering meal deals for £10. Being a bit of a cheapskate, I opted for food from this menu and it was just okay. The food came out just a little too quick for my liking, and it was nothing special....I'm sure the regular menu is much better.

For breakfast they serve tea, coffee and toast and have a hot and cold buffet, with a reasonable selection of food.

Overall I would recommend this hotel, it represented really good value for money, and I had a really pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank dmbassy
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed for three nights in September half board. The Hotel is set in lovely grounds with a large car park at the rear.
The staff were, without exception, very friendly and helpful; from check in to check out.
Our room was large enough with everything you would expect. It was though looking a little tired in places. We looked out over the lawn at the rear.
The public rooms were well furnished and wifi was available in the bar and reception.
Drink prices were reasonable.
Breakfast was buffet style with a first class choice. Dinner was served and the food satisfactory.
Overall it satisfied us for our 2012 annual Guernsey "fix".

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Andy W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castel
Cobo Bay Hotel
Le Friquet Country Hotel
The Duke of Richmond Hotel
The Duke of Richmond Hotel
#3 of 19 in St Peter Port

Been to Hotel Hougue du Pommier? Share your experiences!