“Cosy and Comfy”

Fleur du Jardin Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Castel
Reviewed November 14, 2012

A bit of a muddle to find in the dark from the airport, but that is living on a small island....Everyone knows where they are! However a small island means that eventually you will find the place. This makes the arrival even better. Cosy room upstairs, roaring fire downstairs, lovely staff, good wine and tasty food.Followed by a snug seat in the bar to watch the go and flow of the place.Bliss!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kefi31

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed at the Fleur du Jardin Hotel on the Bank Holiday Weekend, just for one night. We arrived and reception was empty so we rang the bell and waited for ages for someone to come and check us in. (we later learned that the staff are well used as the same gentleman that checked us in also works the bar and the restaurant!). This also meant that we had to phone quite a few times if we wanted to speak to someone on reception!

We were taken up to our suite at the top of the hotel and I have to say the room was fabulous. We had a wet room with large overhead shower (although the drainage were extremely slow - on one occasion we opened the wet room door after a shower and the water spilled out on to the lounge carpet!), a lounge, lovely light bedroom and a second bathroom off the bedroom. There were tea and coffee facilities in our room along with a complimentary bottle of water and toiletries.

We went down into the bar and had a cream tea which was lovely. The bar was very quaint and traditional. My only grumble would be that all of the staff seemed to be foreign and we had to explain quite a few times what we wanted to eat!

We went back down for dinner and we had the 3 course set meal. The food was lovely, served quickly and portion sizes were good. The drinks are very expensive though!

We had an ok nights sleep, one of the windows looks out on to the gravel carpark and I could hear every time a car drove in or out as the windows are not doubled glazed.

We went down for breakfast which was served from 8-9.30 (not so great if you want a lie in). They had cereals, croissants, Guernsey Gauche, fruit, yoghurts and cooked breakfast. There were a selection of juices as well as tea, coffee and hot chocolate.

Check out time is 10.30 and you are able to leave your bags if your return ferry/flight is later in the day. There is very little to do in the area where the hotel is, you are near to the beaches however you would need to get a bus or taxi. The town centre is about 10/15 minutes away by car.

All in all an ok stay, I have rated it as a 4 purely due to the room as it was fantastic, if we had had a standard room I expect the rating would have been lower!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the suite - it is definitely worth it!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kerry R
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My wife and I were in Guernsey over the weekend of 18/19 August, looking for potential accommodation when we move to the island. We came across FdJ purely by accident and originally intended to only stop for a quick drink to quench our thirsts! However once in the outside eating area we decided that Sunday lunch would be in order!

We were very happy with our choice; the meal was superb, the setting fantastic (outside with rustic table n chairs. The facility can accommodate larger groups under a verandah or like us at a small table) and the staff were polite, attentive but not pushy or over-bearing.

I had the predicable roast beef (!) whilst my wife had the corn-fed chicken breast and we both ate the lot - always a good in in my book, but it was delicious!

We can't comment on the rooms that seem to get mixed reviews on here but overall the bar and eating areas couldn't really be faulted. The overall impression was that of a stylish establishment and don't fully agree with some other reviews on his matter - we will be returning when we're next over there!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Spent the weekend here with another local couple on a Quids In deal, had a fantastic walk all around the lanes. They only had a standard room and garden room available. The garden room was beautiful and well worth paying a supplement. The standard room (205) however was far from standard by most people's standards.
The room was small and very dark - more like a single room. One of the windows was located next to the cooling fan from the kitchen and was unbelievably noisy. It was unfortunate that we had to keep the window closed to try and block the noise out from the fan as it was a very hot night. (I did go back to Reception and ask if they had any other rooms and was told they didn't). The other window faced the main road and was also noisy. The main light was intermittent and one of the bedside lamps did not work at all. The bed was a small double and requires a new mattress - rolled to the middle if you turn over - not that we slept much. We thought about going back to our own bed and coming back for breakfast so the other couple weren't aware we'd left!
Dinner was from a set menu was good, tasty, but cannot understand why they put a supplement of £3.50 for beef stroganoff - and salmon was also on the menu with no supplement?!
On checking out I noticed a room being cleaned on the same floor as us - this looked more like a standard. On checking out I expressed our disappointment and would not like to have stayed a week - I would've found somewhere else. Regardless of being an offer, this room should not be used for guests, it did spoil what was otherwise a lovely time.

Room Tip: Garden rooms were beautiful.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Richie M
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is great, well that is once we finally got there. It was a squashed half an hour bus journey, because of how many people were on the bus. When we got there it was a gem of a hotel, with a beautiful reception area, located at the back of the hotel.
(Convieniently) but that was only a minor problem. The receptionist was helpful and polite and led us through a bar up a staircase which was enchanting, something I would love to have like that in my house. When we got to the roolm we thought it was great but maybe the bathroom suite and furniture was a little old but it did suit the location. Bearing in mind that our room was a standard. The bed were so comfortable they were on a par with the beds at la sablonerrie, (In my relatives cottage Duval farm. I don't know what the beds are like in the actual hotel.)
Anyway the food at the hotel and everything else was excellent.

P E

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank p e
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We are regular visitors to Guernsey, decided to visit here for lunch after previously only had dinner on a couple of prior occasions. The weather was warm and we sat outside in the terrace area, it was a really lovely setting and we could have stayed all afternoon. Very well planted, comfortable, attractive furniture and a nice amount of shade to shade from the noon sun. The decor inside the restaurant was as nice as outside, very comfortable and cosy.

The food was quite good, although nothing remarkable, I had a cheese board for lunch - the cheese was a little bland for me. My partner had crab baguette, which although nice didn't look freshly prepared.

Service was fine, a little slow at times, it wasn't that busy but the staff looked a little frazzled - but on the whole friendly.

Would visit again without doubt.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Myself and my husband were lucky enough to purchase a quidsin offer to stay at the Fleur du Jardin Hotel for one night for £89.00 which included bed, breakfast and three course meal for two which was a bargain, when I called to book it they only had one room left which happened to be a newly refurbished suite including a lounge area , a separate walk in wet room , our big bedroom and lovely bathroom with Jack and Jill sinks, which they said would be an extra £45.00 , I told reception that I would just check with my husband and she said that we could have the upgraded room for an extra £22.50 which I eagerly agreed to pay for it.

We checked in at 1800 and we were taken to our room 226 which was really lovely and exactly what we expected . We dropped our bag off and went down to the bar to have a drink , I ordered a lovely glass of prosseco and my husband a Ginger Jo's , Pascale the barman gave us the menu to choose our meal for the evening , there was a choice of 5 starters, 5 mains and 3 sweets which was all part of our deal, We were taken to our table and we ordered a bottle of Chablis, we had a very enjoyable meal, it was well presented , very tasty and perfect size we stayed talking to a lovely German couple who had been staying at the hotel for 12 days , they had stayed there the previous year and absolutely love it, we went up to bed and had a lovely nights sleep in a very comfortable bed , we woke up the following morning and used the lovely big walk in wet shower room, went down to have breakfast which consisted of cereals, fruits, yogurts, croissants, guernsey gauche which all the foreign visitors love and a full english breakfast , a lovely Caffitere of coffee , I checked out the normal costings to stay at the hotel and we certainly did have a bargain, I would definately recommend this hotel it is a cross between oldy worldy and contempory which really works , it has everythig you need, there is an out door swimming pool, they have the Lavender rooms next door which offers facials , massages, nails etc and alfresco dining and in a perfect location for some lovely walks , we do live in Guernsey but would definately recommend this hotel to people looking for a good quality hotel with excellent accomodation, excellent food and excellent staff , Thank you Fleur du Jardin :)

Room Tip: Although I didn't see the standard rooms , I am sure they of the same quality as the suites and...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Sheena1962
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thank you, everyone enjoyed your friendly company as well.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castel
The Duke of Richmond Hotel
Best Western Hotel De Havelet
Best Western Hotel De Havelet
#1 of 19 in St Peter Port
Le Friquet Country Hotel

Been to Fleur du Jardin Hotel? Share your experiences!