“decent meal - good value”

Wayside Cheer Hotel Restaurant & Grill
Ranked #21 of 21 Restaurants in Castel
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Description: New steakhouse within hotel.
Description: New steakhouse within hotel.
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is a local inn serving good food at very reasonable prices. The staff are very efficient and friendly. The inn also has great live music every week.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

The food here is good value and well flavoured. The courses come quickly and the service was good, except at the start when a table that came later than us were given menus and drinks as soon as they arrived. We got our own menus and got drinks from the bar. Other than that, the rest of the meal went well.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

the food and service is very good ,no long delays between courses
there is very good menu without wallet breaking pries.
the locals eat here so that must mean something

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I was utterly disgusted with the treatment I and my friends received from the bar staff and Ken Smith (Management) a few weeks ago. We paid tickets for a menfun charity evening which was very enjoyable itself. However as we had to order our drinks by completing a form on the table then holding it in the air for 10mins before the only waitress eventually came round to take it. Order form was numbered 1-10, on line 1 I wrote vodka, on line 2 I wrote peachsnapps and a little lemonade. I was thought this was quite clear. However she came back to ask what vodka, peachsnapps and lemonade meant. So I told her 1 x vodka in a glass and 1 x peachsnapps and lemonade in another glass. BUT WHAT CAME BACK, 1 vodka,peachsnapps and lemonade all in one glass. So we sent it back after explaining all over again. WHAT CAME BACK, 1 x vodka, 2 x peachsnapps and lemonade ???, explained again only wanted 1 x peachsnapps, the waitress went off and came back and said you have to have both peachsnapps as the barman wont give a refund. I went to the bar and was told by the barman by no uncertain terms that I have ordered 2 x peachsnapps and lemonade (the number 2 on the list was circled but not by me) and because it was circled he gave me 2 of these drinks. As my friend was paying it for it instead of me she went to see the barman to see if she could get any further with him. As she is Irish they're excuse was they couldn't understand her, (I do not see why as the order was written down for them). They told her she was making a fuss and to go away and sit down as she was not getting her money back. The Management (Ken Smith) told her to stop complaining and to get away from the bar. A good evening was spoilt, as we left early before the interval as we were so disgusted with the way she had been spoken to. The place was absolutely heaving and cannot understand why a refund was refused as they kept the spare drink anyway. As a local person and quite often eating out and about in Guernsey I definately will not be going back to the Wayside Cheer Hotel or ever recommending it to anyone else. The staff need to go on a customer service course and show some common courtesy and respect to their clientel.

7  Thank Mazzymoo
Reviewed September 18, 2012

If you want good value, go here. The food's fine but ordinary & a little on the stodgy side. Service good though and the live music's great.