“Ab Fab at Undercliff”

Undercliff Guest House
Ranked #1 of 2 Trinity B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My partner and I have spent many years stay at this lovely Guest House in Bourley Bay. The friendliness of the our hosts and the cleanliness of the rooms are second to none. At first we stayed doing B&B and then decided to try the self catering cottage and would highly recommend both options. We have just returned from yet another wonderful week at Undercliff and have already booked to return again in September. Liz and Baz, Kent

Room Tip: All great!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 20, 2012

We were looking forward to our stay at the Undercliff Guest House having read the reviews which highly recommended them.However were bitterly disappointed with the service we received on arrival which meant that we decided to stay elsewhere. Despite the fact that my fiance had spoken to the proporietor several times to book the accommodation we required for 3 nights and had a few hours before rung to confirm arrival time, we were not made to feel welcome. There was a ridiculous converstation regarding the fact we were not in posession of a piece of paper they were insisting they had to have as "things had to be done properly" despite the fact my fiance had the copy of the booking he had made and they would not confirm that the room they had available was in our name as they had to have this piece of paper from us which we did not fact. I worked in the hotel trade for a long time and would never have treated a customer like that. There was no effort to resolve the ludicrous situation on behalf of the proprietors who were actually very snooty and I felt rude towards us and so we left very upset by the experience. We had had 2 wonderful stays in other Jersey hotels during our break and a wonderful stay in Sark and in each case had been made to feel very welcomewith superb customer service and it is unfortunate that a hotel which is in such a lovely position and is clearly beautifully maintained and cared for made us feel so unwelcome. We will not be going back or recommending it and I have made my family aware of the experience and they also will not be recommending the Undercliff to their numerous friends who visit the island.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank emmaBirmingham
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I had spent a considerable amount of time looking at various different bed and breakfasts on the Island of jersey, for a short break for my boyfriend and I. After reading the positive reivews for the Undercliff and checking laterooms for availability, I went ahead and made the reservation for a 4 night stay in a double room.
Within 15 mimutes I received a phonecall from the manager saying that unfortunately, despite laterooms stating they had a double room available, they did not, they only had a twin room. That however was not what outraged me, as lets face it, these things happen. What annoyed me more than anything was the conversation that followed. I was instructed to ring late rooms and cancel my reservation as he could not do it (despite him ringing me saying they could not provide the service they had advertised). When I asked if he could recommend another bed and breakfast (a small ask considering the rave reviews about service!), I was told to get back on laterooms and have a look for myself (I was speechless at this point!)
I am not prone to writing bad reviews as you will see from my other comments over the last year for hotels and b&b's all over the world. But I do think that manners and service count for a lot in the hospitality business and this individual showed little of either.
I would not waste your time, give somewhere else a try!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sutty88
undercliff1, Owner at Undercliff Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

I should like to take this opportunity to apologize that you had a negative experience from the owners of Undercliff. However I should like to explain a few points about the use of websites to book rooms that perhaps you are not aware of.
Firstly every establishment uses several websites to let rooms and some websites are more user friendly than others. In your case we offer several room types eg double / twin, treble, family sea view. Some websites are more specific and have a catagory for doubles and twins. In your case you hit double/twin and your dates and I receive a fax confirmation. Normally if a customer specifies a a double or a twin we can normally accommodate but in this case we were very busy and you booked our last room. It was my quick thinking that altered me to the fact that you had expressed a preference for a double room when in fact we only had a twin left and that is why I rang you straight back( within 15 mins). We would have been perfectly within the rules of the website to not have informed you until you arrived that we only had a twin left as it states on your confirmation," double requested" not double confirmed This is not our policy and I gave you an opportunity to cancel without charge.
Cancelling a booking from any online booking system is not particularly easy. As I requested you have to call them to cancel as they will not accept just our word as basically they are losing out on commission.
Regarding not recommending another guest house, there is only one other guest house in the 4 star catagory on the north coast of Jersey and I know they are generally more expensive than us so I find it is safer for customers to make their own choices.
I hope this clarifies a few points that you were unhappy with.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

This lodge is situated right on the oceanfront on a cliff. Owners are very friendly and helpful. Some wonderful cliff walks and hiking trails start from the lodge. We thought given the clean and comfortable rooms and full breakfast it was quite fairly priced. We had a garden view room and it was perfectly fine and private.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 13, 2012

all i can say is wow. what a gem of a place, it was my first time staying here and i will definately be staying again. fantastic breakfast, welcoming and pleasant hosts, lovely rooms, great location, a lovely seaside walk before breakfast cannot be beaten. I would happily recommend this wonderful place to anyone on business or pleasure. thank you and see you again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank timprescott
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Once again Richard and Ida have proved to be what they always have been to us,hosts most valuable.The porridge is the same delight which is the same as the service.They will bend over backwards to help you and try to make a special occasion SPECIAL.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are comfortable.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Situated a stoned throw from the beautifully rugged "dartmoor touched the sea" coast line, the undercliff was a really great. Staff were all really friendly. Breakfast was great. Great idea having full English as a paid extra rather than having to pay for it if you only fancy toast. Lots of tea and coffee in room and rooms cleaned every day. Free wifi in all rooms. Had a few drop out issues but this is due to the really fabulous solid stone walls and there isnt much that anyone could do about that. A wonderful experience for my colleague and I who were working away from home for a week.

• Stayed: February 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinity
The Inn Boutique
#1 of 2 in St. Ouen
De L'etang
De L'etang
#1 of 21 in St. Helier

Been to Undercliff Guest House? Share your experiences!