“Lovely experience”

Water's Edge Chalets
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Trinity
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4days with my partner! It was a lovely hotel and great for the price! Food was lovely and all staff were very polite and friendly! Reception were very helpful on bus service and taxis which was very helpful as we did not take a car! Rooms were kept lovely and Clean and very big! The hotels gardens were very looked after with amazing views! I would recommend staying here, I had a lovely experience

1  Thank Megan G
MJ-Neal, General Manager at Water's Edge Chalets, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were still able to get around using our excellent bus and taxi service.

We do try and go that extra mile to make our guests as comfortable as possible

We hope you will visit Jersey and our Hotel again in the not too distance future.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Extremely disappointed, husband booked this inspite of poor reviews and rating as it said they had a refurb, well yes they had done a paint job in some areas and reading the planning application I think the best thing they can do is start again.
In fact many of the locals think it closed down years ago.

The good,
The situation is stunning with extremely clean windows in the dinning room. in fact very clean bedroom too the room attendant worked very hard and he was extremely quick.
Reception girls always spoke as did night porters. I think it was the manager /owner we saw once and he was very warm but think he should have been more obviously out and about.We were there for 7 days.
The laundry, pristine clean linen.

The less than good to downright awful.
Grounds could be lovely but were overgrown and swimming pool filtration did not appear to be working.
Reception area, very dated with lift that you trip over as you go in, not good for elderly or infirm of which there were many there when we were.
As you leave lift, a fusty, old smell greets you, no wonder they have fire doors open whenever they can. Carpets in desperate need of replacement but I suspect they will not do so if they are hoping to pull the place to pieces.
Our room 306, paid for a sea view. This is not a sea view and should not be charged as one. Half the view was of the other block i.e. off white render, rusty drainpipes and the cooking vent. But more than that, was the view of the opposite block bathroom, which, although glazed I could clearly see a man apply his deodorant and as all the windows were open hear his ablutions and I mean hear EVERYTHING! Yes you have a nice view if you face one way, but from the bed more than one half of the view is taken up by the ugly building opposite and very near to your room.
Room is very bland circa 1980 and filled me with a deep need to escape each day.Tea and coffee making facilities adequate but no biscuits or water
Bathroom extremely dated with poor shower and the "little extras" that someone mentioned, 2 facecloths??
The shower gel and soap were the all in one Premier inn type i.e. fixed to the wall , that was it , Bath towels, poor small ones, not the fluffy bath sheets I prefer actually Premier Inn ones are quite good. The decoration , poor quality
The food , I thought with a rosette it should be good. Wrong, first night went in for dinner in spite of a frosty matron given me a dirty look at my cropped trousers and the young man following me who had long shorts on.They have the pretension of asking for no shorts in the dinning room at evening service which is fair enough but we are on holiday and they mean skimpy short shorts, I think....
We made our choices but surprised there was no "specials menu' offered, glad we were not on half board as it was limited and dull to say the least with little explanation. The Pub next door owned by same people has more inventive stuff on their menu.We were then told there was no crab, ok we will have lobster, no lobster, no oysters either. This is Jersey!
Husband chose Dover SOLE but as no description of what it came with I asked , got told rice and just a few veg, odd combo, so he asked for chips, another £3 and veg but it was not on the sides menu. So waitress said, Yes we can do side salad , no that is not veg, so she would have to ask Chef. As I had chosen something for the sake of it I decided we were not going to enjoy it and at £26 a meal we should go elsewhere.They seemed surprised at this , went out no manager around so went next door.
We kind of guessed what breakfast would be like ,cheap carton juice , 3 cereals which became a mess all over the table which did not get cleared up, poor selection of fresh fruit and insipid minute slices of melon , better water melon and tired pineapple, it got topped up by someone in whites, was this the Chef with a rosette? I think not.
Cold meats that nobody seemed to touch, they were flaccid fatty and boring specimens..Activa yogurt, poor quality sausage, ok bacon, catering pack mushrooms, tomatoes that looked ok, beans, and congealed scrambled egg, saw on the last day someone asking for and getting a freshly fried egg, we were never offered anything else but it look burnt around the edges and just plonked on a plate.
Decent croissants but why so many pain au choc. when very few kids around .
On the last morning we both lost it a bit, went in at just before 9 to be greeted by every table filled with dirty crockery etc.and no table set up to sit at , only 1 poor young girl trying to cope and she was not there when we arrived so we raided the cutlery drawer and found the side plates, others were looking for the warm plates , missing . Orange juice about to run out, no yogurt just an ice bowl, green apples only, the sliced fruit had a top up, it looked as though it had been lobbed on from a distance.No croissants and 1 tired looking bread role, I calmly went to reception to speak to the duty manager and bring them in to the dinning room to see the state of the breakfast offering. Had to wait whilst receptionist decided if she could [dared?] let an elderly gentleman use a phone, he was willing to pay . Asked for the D.Manager, told she was not there, no explanation as to where she was or who else was in charge. The receptionist asked if she could help I told her my problem and she said she would go to the kitchen herself. I returned and even after 10 mins. away it was still a disaster zone, but at least there was another waiter. No more food available and still full dirty tables with more people arriving. By this time husband was imploding, so we got out before completely losing it . A third time we had breakfast elsewhere that week.
I neede to leave quickly but we had to pack . Inspite of reception taking my room no, we heard nothing from the D.M. The receptionist made the mistake of asking if everything had been ok but she was still not able to call the D.M.
Why did we not try harder to complain early in the week. We had paid in Advance and they had our money as it was a saver option. When we did try to find the management earlier no one except the receptionist was around and we felt we would be told what do you expect, you got a good price for Jersey and we are only 3 *. I expect some pride and can cope with dated clean rooms but the smell was in my nose and on my clothes when we got home. I also expect a simple but adequate good quality breakfast not too much to ask. Had a feeling that we would not be "heard" if we did complain as the whole operation felt as though someone had lost interest and was just having to keep the place open. A great shame as the location is stunning, we wish you well with your redevelopment plans although we note permission was given in 2012. Are they hanging out for something else? We will never return to this hotel in any guise although getting out to see relations and the beautiful countryside and other lovely restaurants did not spoil things too much. Just left my husband sad as he wanted to show me his Jersey as remembered from childhood. He thought the location would overcome the rating.

Room Tip: If you do venture in, take a deep breath when you exit the lift and Avoid room 306. Ask for 308 or 4...
3  Thank mumajb

Dear Reviewer

We really are saddened at this rather unjustified attack on our hotel. The contents are neither accurate nor do they reflect fairly in any way on the hotel's facilities or staff. We take constructive criticism on board and use it as an opportunity to learn and improve and stand by our very high TripAdvisor rating obtained from reputable guests.

We would also add, that at no time have we ever stated that the hotel has had a refurbishment. We have carried out extensive repairs and renewals following the lease expiry in October 12 to a local hotel group.

Another guest actually came up to me and said that you were complaining so much at reception on departure that he asked you to put your key down and leave because you were upsetting other Guests.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Well i am never stepping foot in this hotel again. I came for the afternoon with some close friends for lunch and we where treated very badly from the moment we walked into the tired shabby looking reception. The staff where not at all polite and and did not give a care for locals whatsoever. My friends complained of the dry sandwiches that where highly overpriced. When we sat down next to the pool a member of staff shouted at us ROOM Number and we just walked out NEVER COMING BACK! The only positive thing was my company and the views which you can get for free!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank lukeguy
Mark N, General Manager at Water's Edge Chalets, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Dear Reviewer

I would like to point out that when you called to reserve lunch with your 3 children, you were advised by reception that the pool is for the use of hotel residents only.

When you were having lunch, one of the children advised that they were going to use the pool, at which time you were advised again that the Pool was for the use of residents of the Hotel.

Regardless of having been advised on two occasions. Following your lunch, you still proceeded to the Pool for the afternoon. A short time later, you were asked by one of the members of staff for your room number and as you were not staying at the Hotel, you were asked to leave. At that point you then complained the bread was stale, which is delivered fresh every morning by a local supplier. We were not made aware of the complaints in relation to the 3 burgers ordered by the children at the time.

If everyone who came to the Hotel for lunch and used the Pool, there would not be any room for the Guests of the hotel, which is why these restrictions are implemented.

Mark Neal

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Just had lunch at the water's edge Hotel I am disappointed at the service of the hotel and also a member of the management team made us feel unwelcome and uncomfortable. The food was not particularly good and I won't be coming back again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank GaryFont
Mark N, Manager at Water's Edge Chalets, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with Lunch at the Water's Edge. We have so many regular customers who come for the service and food. It is a shame that I was not around that day to perhaps hear your complaint, but unfortunately I was attending a family bereavement.

If you would care to email me directly, mark.neal@weh.je, I would like to personally invite you back again to show you how we normally perform.

It is a shame that Trip Advisor does not allow an opt out for the other scores not related to the lunch, for example,. cleanliness for the hotel is our top score and priority along with service.

Mark Neal

Reviewed June 13, 2014

We enjoyed a 4 day/3 night break at the Waters Edge Hotel & thoroughly enjoyed the location & all aspects of the hotel. The room we had (on the 5th floor) was tired but spotlessly clean & very comfortable and certainly not noisy. The restaurant was situated overlooking the bay & the food was excellent. All staff were pleasant and helpful and we certainly did not find any problems with a language barrier. We did have an issue with our final bill but this was dealt with amicably and without fuss. We will probably return to this hotel again and on speaking with the owner I can only imagine it will improve year on year.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
MJ-Neal, General Manager at Water's Edge Chalets, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for staying at the Water's Edge and for taking the time to post a review.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope you return to Jersey and the Water's Edge again soon.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

It's a pleasure to stay here. The staff are very helpful and friendly, the room was spacious, spotless and comfortable, with a nice sea view. The gardens look nice too. As other reviewers have said, the decor is a little 'tired', but for the price who can complain - it's clean!
The only let-down is breakfast. While the menu is adequate, replenishment of the buffet is not. I had to ask for something or other every morning, and wait for it to arrive. Because of this, we did not try the restaurant at night. However, the food at the pub next door (part of the hotel anyway!) was excellent. At first we thought it expensive, but food generally in Jersey is expensive everywhere, so in fact it's good value.
Wifi can be a little 'iffy', but it is sufficient.
Would we stay here again? DEFINITELY.
J Childs

Room Tip: It's a good idea to book for dinner at the pub - it's popular!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JRZZZ
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Having requested two rooms next to each other, on booking in we were on different floors. Eventually this was sorted. Rooms are dated and bare. Food, two main courses returned, as steaks were not edible. Management blamed us and accused us of complaining and at one point we were asked to leave. Manager advised that he would sort out our final bill, on checking out he had done nothing about it. The staff had difficulty understanding English, I left a hand written message and have heard nothing since. We are locals and spend many weekends in hotels around the Island, they have cost less and all been brilliant and none of us have had any cause to complain about anything. Tourism !!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank pammyspooner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trinity
L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa
Greenhills Country House Hotel
Royal Yacht Hotel
Royal Yacht Hotel
#1 of 31 in St. Helier

Been to Water's Edge Chalets? Share your experiences!