“Staff very friendly”
Review of Merton Hotel

Merton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in St.Saviour
Reviewed April 26, 2014

We have just been on a 3 night break at the merton as part of a friend's wedding celebration in h
Jersey. The room was to a high standard as was the breakfast. Thx evening meal arrangements were a choice of either an all inclusive buffet or an Italian style a la carte in the 2 restaurants. Food standard in these was ok but we chose to eat out in town where there is a great choice of eateries. The hotel is clean. The public areas pleasant and the staff exceptionally friendly and engaging. If we were going to jersey again it would be a serious contender for booking.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

my wife and i recently stopped at this hotel with our 11 year old grandson, we found check in very easy no queues or waiting, staff where friendly and helpful ,our room was homely and spacious which was nice ,we had a nice view overlooking the pool and leisure center area, being the Easter holiday it was quite busy but it is a large hotel and seemed to absorb it well ,we where staying on a b&b basis but found eating in the hotel in the evenings was an enjoyable experience, the well manured and efficient staff kept everything flowing so no queues, the food at both Breakfast and Dinner was both plentiful and tasty our grandson enjoyed helping him self at the buffet sometimes to more than 1 helping of chocolate fudge cake,there is a kids room which he also enjoyed the star show lounge was a nice size and had shows on a nightly basis ,the leisure center which is across the road was clean and spacious with an indoor/outdoor pool and a wave rider which our grandson loved, booking is advisable for this and all sessions are instructor controlled ,all in all we defiantly use this hotel again it was a great holiday

Room Tip: go for 6th floor overlooking pool
1  Thank Mick-Jan-April11
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Although the merton hotel is located within Jersey which is in the channel islands, still in U.K. it is only a 20 minute flight from Gatwick and landing obviously in Jersey. You can get around Jersey within in 3 days and do everything that comes between your likings.
The merton hotel has everything you need to make it your number one top hotel
: Indoor and outdoor swimming pool that link, gym, childrens play areas, 60's diner, medi cuisine diner, carvery, entertainment, games room, club, pianist bar, coffee bars, outdoor cocktail/mocktail bars, car hire, babysittin, 4 stage kids club and tonnes more.

Room Tip: Preferably not one facing the swimming pool, you need a room facing the sea.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LauraStar28
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My family stayed at the Merton Hotel in Jersey over the Easter weekend which I am sorry to say was a complete disappointment. Our three boys aged 5 1/2 yrs, 4 yrs and 19 months were so excited to be going away (not so much the littlest one as he doesn't have a clue what's going on) - the older two were counting down the 'sleeps' til our trip. To sum up - we were not allowed to swim in the pool together as a family because each of our young children needed to have one adult looking after each of them. I had actually phoned ahead of our trip to check the swimming policy as someone had mentioned in passing that there were swimming pool rules - and the hotel receptionist told me (after I told him our kids' ages) that we would not have any problems swimming. Well my husband swam with one of our kids while I looked after the two others on the side of the pool - can you imagine how that went down. Then I went swimming with one of the other kids - and this carried on for 30 minutes before we all had enough.

We went for dinner at the hotel Belvedere at 5.45pm with the kids but we were told that we couldn't eat with the kids until 6.30pm. So when the kids finished eating at about 6.10pm we then sat with them all tired - the littlest one crying and screaming - waiting for us adults to be allowed to go to the buffet. My husband quickly ate first while I dealt with the kids - then we swapped. Not a pleasant dining experience for us or anyone else!

Our bed was a trampoline - my husband disappeared into it and when I got in I rolled into him - which I wouldn't normally mind! But we were shattered so sleep was a necessity! We got no sleep. But it wasn't just the bed which kept us awake - it was the people upstairs who must have had their kids simultaneously jumping non stop out of their bunk beds - the noise on our ceiling was absolutely ridiculous! The noise went on at night til they went eventually to bed and resumed at 6am in the morning! We made three complaints about it until the Manager came to our room to witness the noise on the 2nd night! He shook his head and went to tell them off! It finally stopped!

They also had our room next to the door to the Kids Zone - so we had troops of parents and kids yelling and running up and down the corridor until just before 9pm each night! Marvelous! But then we had the lovely piano playing across the corridor in the lounge which went on until late - plus the Ladies' toilets where every 2 seconds someone needed to dry their hands - can you imagine the noise from these driers in our room!

Apart from not sleeping, not being able to eat together, not being able to swim together - we actually had a really fantastic time in Jersey at the Amaizin Maze, Zoo and beaches! To be fair we liked the Manager very much who was incredibly apologetic - but even so - I couldn't possibly not pass on to other innocent travelers what happened on our stay at the Merton! Sorry.

Room Tip: Unfortunately we don't know where in the hotel would suit to have a good experience
5  Thank Sarah L
Seymourgroup, General Manager at Merton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Sarah L, thank you very much for your comments and feedback. As always we take all feedback, both good and bad very seriously.
We are sorry that your overall experience of the hotel was not a good one. Our pool rules, that we display on our website are for the safety of all our guests and I'm sure you'll understand that we have to abide by these rules. We have however ensured all our staff (including receptionists) are fully versed to ensure the correct information is given prior to arrival.
Our special children's eating time has proved to be exceptionally popular over the years and was designed to be practical for families of children of all ages. We are sorry that this did not work for you.
With regards to the noise levels across the hotel and in particular above your room, I am obviously pleased that we were able to assist and manage the problem immediately that we were informed.
Easter Holidays are always a busy time in the Merton Hotel but we do our utmost to ensure that everyone has a great time and sorry that you did not feel this way.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Great room (576) - well two really with separate room for bunk beds plus hallway felt more like an apartment. Aquadome was fabulous - very clean and safe with attentive life guards. Good base with St Helier easy walk. My only tip is to update the window dressings - less net curtains to let more light in and get rid of the dreadful curtain pelmets - it'd immediately modernise the place without much effort.

Room Tip: 576 - slightly bigger family room with space in hall for buggy due to layout.
1  Thank TheBlindsLady
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Stayed at the Merton from 14th to 18th April on my own with my 5 year old daughter. I was a little daunted at travelling alone with her so picked a hotel that promised entertainment for kids. The hotel is located about 20 minutes in a taxi from the airport (cost £20 - but arrived in the evening rush hour so in would imagine usually costs less than this).

Upon arrival we were very quickly checked in and allocated a room on 2nd floor, room was ok, twin beds, bathroom with bath tub and shower, unfortunately at the same time we arrived so did a huge children's sports group of around 80 kids, all staying on our floor and basically running around and doing what kids do best...being kids. I went to speak to a very nice and helpful man on reception who said that he would work on moving us while we ate dinner in the hotel restaurant - we chose The Belvedere for a buffet meal (which was very nice) (- if you are on bed and breakfast then make sure that you ask at reception for a discount voucher for the restaurants if you are staying at the hotel - you get between 10 & 15% off the food part of the bill). During the meal the gentleman came to find us and advised that the only room they could offer would be at the Merton Suites, next door to the main hotel, there was a small cost per night to move, which I agreed to and they had the porter help us move after dinner. Now this apartment was a durrel suite and it was AMAZING!!! I would absolutely recommend these suites to anyone with kids, I will certainly be staying there on our next visit.

Next came the kids entertainment, my daughter was on her own with me and as she decided that she didn't want to go to the early evening kids club I was a little worried that she wouldnt want to join in with the kids show...I shouldn't have worried, she loved it!! The guy running the show, i think was called Lee, was phenomenal, he got the kids into the action within seconds and kept their attention the whole way through the hour long show. They do party dances and games and it was entertaining to watch, and join in as he gets you up there doing the dances with them!! On the last night of our holiday it was someone else running the show and my daughter was dissaponted as apparently he didn't know the dance moves as well as Lee!!

I have stayed at many hotels and have never met such a helpful and friendly bunch as at the Merton, nothing is too much trouble, as I was on my own I was worried that we would be a little lost..I needn't have worried, we didn't want to leave!

We are booking again for the end of July and I can't wait.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Katmatthews81
Reviewed April 19, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near St.Saviour
Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey
#5 of 31 in St. Helier
Longueville Manor
Longueville Manor
#1 of 5 in St.Saviour

Been to Merton Hotel? Share your experiences!