“Superb hotel, clean and totally professional.”
Review of Merton Hotel

Merton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in St.Saviour
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I live in Jersey. This Hotel was my choice for my five pals to visit for the first time to Jersey. I reserved this hotel because I know of the quality of the hospitality, great food, cleanliness and also plenty of free on site parking just to name a few of the great things about the place. My friends were totally impressed when they saw the standard of the accommodation and facilities. Between the six of us we had two family rooms which worked perfectly and very comfortable. I live within two miles of this hotel but due to the parking, food and the aquadome facilities etc it made sense for me to stay here rather than travelling backward and forward over the three night stay. I'm so glad I stayed, the staff and facilities made it a great weekend. A great thank you to all the staff and we will all be back in 2014. I personally cannot fault this hotel and I've travelled the world and stayed in some terrible places and also probably the best. This hotel has something for everyone.

Thank you..TH

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tony H

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Returned to the Merton Hotel once again (visited yearly for 15 years) standards still great, as was the food - it's a really nice touch when staff remember you from previous visits and welcome you back like family.
Leo in sports bar very polite and friendly as was the restaurant manager.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone - young / old / and families.

Room Tip: The lower rooms overlooking the gardens lack daylight so beware
1  Thank AnnLingley
Reviewed August 29, 2013

After reading all the reviews I took the plunge and booked a weeks stay with our son. On arrival the reception were attentive and helpful with check in being very smooth. The bedroom was smaller than anticipated and the single bed no where near long enough for our son. The view over the garden with sea view was welcomed. The aqua dome is impressive and we made full use of the facilities on offer. We paid for HB on arrival and on reflection I feel we made a good choice. There was something for every one with the food well presented and hot. The desserts (according to our son) were sick..!! With so many people in the restaurant at meal times it never seemed to be over crowded. The waiters and waitresses at times were like vulchers waiting to pounce to take your plates. I feel this was unnecessary as the week wore on. The entertainment at night, generally was very good. The Abba tribute band and the acrobats were our high light. Over all we enjoyed our stay and would return with our son. I'm not so sure if it was just the two of us.

Room Tip: Get a room over looking the Garden
1  Thank Leandr09866
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had 12 nights here from Sat 27th July. We were in a family room with our 2 boys aged 6 and 10. They had their own room with bunk beds which was ideal. My parents were also staying in another room on the same floor.
The service of all the staff was great and the food was great too. Lots of choice - but no chips or pancakes! The rooms were fine- I found the bed quite hard but that was all.
The best part was the leisure complex and we really enjoyed the indoor and outdoor pool and the flowrider. The 4 of us had a go one morning and the kids paid for the afternoon too and my eldest son did another afternoon at the end of the holiday. The only comment about this I would make is that some days there were 25 people in a 2 hour session and other days only a handful so you could get lots of goes or not many. I think that there should be a maximum number per session, bookable in advance or 3 x 2 hr sessions per day, rather than a long one ( 4 hrs) in the afternoon.
The kids club ran from 6.30-8.30pm only which was a bit strange so we often let them go in and took them out at 7 for dinner, then they went back in again. They could have eaten early before the club but we were always around the pool then. The main room had kids and family entertainment then until 9.30pm when the evening act came on. We also went to the Italian restaurant twice - Bonetti's. You could get £10 per adult or £5 per child back if you were half board which we were.
You could also do exercise classes and use the gym for free and safety deposit boxes at reception free which was good.
the entertainment was fine, but needed to have a 2 wkly cycle as we saw some of the same acts more than once. The Black Eagles were the best, then Abbaloo.
The location was walkable to St Helier through the park or you could drive and park. Parking at the hotel was free and we always found spaces, even though they were quite small for an S Max.
If we came back to Jersey we would stay here again. Plenty to do in Jersey, especially if the weather is mixed!

Room Tip: We were room 477 at the side of the hotel which was fine. My parents were 420 at the other end and...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank familywatts
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at the Merton for 5 nights in August with our two kids. The hotel has plenty to keep the kids busy. The pool complex across the road is excellent. A very safe place and i felt comfortable letting my two swim around unsupervised. There is also an excellent gym with weigths and cardio equipment, although it only had one bench which was always being used.

The hotel had 3 restaurants within it. The italian was very nice and a good menu ( and kids choice), the burger bar was OK for what it was and we did not eat the main restaurant for tea. This is where breakfast is served. It is a bit manic at breakfast times and if you can make it through the crowds the food is of a good standard. There are loads of places to eat out in St Helier also.

The entertainment in the evening was also very good and we attended the quizes and kids club most nights. Drinks werent that cheap but all in all it was worth it.

There were only a few negative points - one you have to pay £5 deposit per towel at the pool, and if you loose your receipt (like i did) you wont get your money back until they cash up at night. Still they did give it back to me. The family room we stayed in was nice although the bathroom was very small. For this type of room I would have expected more space and air con. I am not sure why modern hotels dont all have air con - to keep cool you have to have the windows open which then becomes noisy.

Overall, it was a great hotel, the staff were well trained and coureous and I would defiantely visit again. However i would not recommend it if you are travelling without children!!

1  Thank Stuart L
Reviewed August 26, 2013

my wife and I recently stayed at the Merton and were pleased with what we found.
a clean pleasant hotel with friendly helpful staff, on arrival we found our room to be extremely hot having discovered there was no air conditioning I asked at reception I they had a fan we had had a long journey that day and fell asleep as if by magic when we woke up there was the fan in our room you could not ask for more.
breakfast was very good, my only problem was a special Mexican night and the food was not special pity I cancelled my table at another restaurant.
overall a hotel I would visit again

Room Tip: choose a room high overlooking the gardens for a view and far away from the lift to avoid hearing th...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tony300456
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just got home from Merton and had to write this review what a hotel amazing great for all ages we were aged 11 years to 81 years, parents both with disabilities found things easy to use if they were able to use the flow rider they would of , the food was fantastic so much choice we had half board and it was well worth it book it before you go and get 20% off . Must admit before I went I thought jersey would be boring and for old people how wrong was I even the war tunnels was good , indoor and outdoor pool great for all weather , entertainment every night , we could not have wanted more or better see you next year thanks to the staff

Room Tip: We had rooms 558 550 little noisy at night but not a problem nice views parents had 538 very quite...
1  Thank Lennie J R
Also consider these accommodations in or near St.Saviour
Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey
#5 of 32 in St. Helier
Best Western Royal Hotel
Best Western Royal Hotel
#9 of 32 in St. Helier

Been to Merton Hotel? Share your experiences!